Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
N41 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote N41 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Customisation
    Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:30am
Hi !

So, first, I'm planning to buy a Digital Storm Velox with this config --> /configurator.asp?id=2017608 (I can't put the full link sorry) <-- to play in 1440p @ 165hz (Dual Screen Asus Rog PG279Q) and also work a lot.

So my questions are can I change the fans to Corsair ML Pro RGB without buying other things ? And how many fans are they (that I can change) ?

Also, I'll may wait a bit before buying cuz I could put a i9 9900k as the processor. Btw, what is better 1080 ti SLI or Titan XP ?

I've also made another config with an i9 9700x and a Titan XP (every other things are the same, only the Memory, not the Ram, are not).

I'm a bit confused and open to others proposition (with a ~5300$ budget) but only with the Velox (I love so much this case).

Edited by N41 - 16 Aug 2018 at 7:27am
Thank you for replying,
-N41
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:09am
We like to advise based on need, quality of parts, and cost. We try to save you money.

Your CPU pick is the best you can get for gaming. The i9 line is more for heavy duty number crunching like scientific or heavy duty business apps.

The 1080 Ti is definitely the pick over the Titan. 97% of the performance for ~1/2 the price. BUT, you don't need two of them! A single 1080 Ti will power both monitors just fine by itself at. The "productivity" monitor makes very little demand on the GPU even when in tandem with a game, and the 1080 Ti will crush games at 1440p.

No SLI, no need for 1000W PSU. The 750W is all you'd need.

If you don't have a special purpose for two separate M.2s, I'd get The Samsung 1TB PRO M.2 for about the same price. PRO is better performance. You can fill it as full as you want with no performance hit.

We don't recommend the noise reduction, and the overclocks aren't so great, either. The CPU OC offers a scant .1 over the 8086 turbo clock, and the GPU OC is very slight, and would add unnecessary heat to that case.

I'm sorry I don't know much about custom fans. I assume they put a ML Pro in place of every stock case fan, but DS would be happy to explain.

Best advice I have, but of course, it's your rig. My theoretical build would save you about a $1000.

Hope it helps you.
N41 View Drop Down

Quote N41 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:01pm
Hi !
Thank you very much for your tips.

Don't you think that 1080ti is not powerful enough to run every games in ultra at 165 fps and 1440p ? I'm not really sure...

I also want a PC that can be good for at least 5 years.

Btw should I wait for a RTX2080 ?

Anyway thank you a lot for your time and your advices !

Edited by N41 - 16 Aug 2018 at 1:01pm
Thank you for replying,
-N41
N41 View Drop Down

Quote N41 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:09pm
Ok, I've made this build --> /configurator.asp?id=1754042 what do you think with an i9 9900k ? :)
Thank you for replying,
-N41
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 4:53pm
That config # gave me a base i7 Velox build for $1720.

The 1080 Ti is powerful enough to run all games at high settings at 1440p. It's designed to handle 4k, though not optimized in all games, and that's twice the pixels. The framerate may vary mainly because of the optimization of the game, but it will usually be well over 100 frames per second.

Should you wait for the 2080? It didn't seem that you would want to, but I definitely would at this stage. To miss the next gen by a couple of months would not be my style, but then, I am very patient.

The i9 9900 is a very impressive chip, but sources are saying it won't be out until first quarter next year. If this rig is primarily for gaming, it will not be worth waiting for. Almost all games run on the first two cores. The coding must allow for users without the latest and greatest to be able to play the game so they can sell more games.

The day may come that games will utilize a third core, but not soon. The six-core i7 8086 you've chosen will run any game full bore at up to 5GHz with 3 cores to spare if that day ever comes. It is VERY safe to say no game will ever max out that CPU in the next 5 years. Unless you are into very CPU intensive video/music encoding/editing, and want your wait times next to nothing, the two extra cores in the 9900k won't mean much at all, and your chip is already faster than it needs to be.

If you wait for the 2080, and go with the i7 8086 and the 32 GB of RAM, you'll be as future proof as you could need to be without breaking the bank, IMO.

N41 View Drop Down

Quote N41 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 1:22am
Hi !
Ok I've understood, but knowing my work is in web developpement, so is that setup powerful enough ?

Anyway thanks for the advices
Thank you for replying,
-N41
N41 View Drop Down

Quote N41 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 1:28am
Originally posted by N41

Hi !
Ok I've understood, but knowing my work is in web developpement, so is that setup powerful enough ?

Anyway thanks for the advices.

PS: sorry, the setup I meant was /configurator.asp?id=2018598 with an i9 9900k or a RTX2080

... fixed broken quote ...

Edited by Snaike - 17 Aug 2018 at 1:34am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 8:41am
Sorry, I don't personally know a thing about web design, but when I searched it out, this is one of the first things I ran across:

"For web design, the speed of the computer is much more about the hard disk rather than the CPU. This is because you will be opening and closing a lot of files and the speed of this is all hard drive."

The takeaway from this as I see it is that the i7 8086 is available right now and will serve you very well for several years. The 32 GB of RAM is a definite plus. The "mistake" you made in your latest config is electing the 860 EVO which is a standard SATA SSD and not the M.2 NVMe 970 EVO or the 970 EVO PRO. You definitely want the extreme speed of an NVMe for your web design per the above quote. The Pro is cutting edge, but the regular 970 EVO is also very fast, the newest model only out a few months, and has a 5 year warranty from Samsung. An NVMe for primary storage is almost instant! Up to 10x as fast as a SATA SSD.

I don't think you gain much from the motherboard upgrade you chose over the MSI Pro Carbon, but up to you.

Again, if I were you and not super anxious, I would prefer to wait on the latest from Nvidia (2080). For your purposes, however, you would never see the advantage from a better CPU than is available in the 8086 now.

Hope it hels.
N41 View Drop Down

Quote N41 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:48am
Thanks, it helped ;)
Thank you for replying,
-N41
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 6:40pm
My pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply