FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VELOX New Build Feedback?

Post Date: 2022-12-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pHluid13 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pHluid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: VELOX New Build Feedback?
    Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 12:50pm
Budget:
$2500-$3K

Curious what you all think about this build. Config Number: 4575059

I had ordered the Bolt II a LOOOOONG way back and it has served me well and feels like it works just like the day I got it. It seems to still play games today well, but obviously not as well as what a newer graphics card could produce. Here are some of the specs from what I have today. I bought this way back in 2014. So I'd say 8 years is a pretty good amount of time. I just feel like it's time for an upgrade. So I am back for another Digital Storm since I really enjoyed this one and liked that it was basically maintenance free and lasted so long and is still going strong today.

That being said, I need a little help and feedback on the above build. I've been scouring the forums here and based on what some of you have said, I made some modifications. Sounds like anything over the Intel Core i5-13600KF is overkill for a gaming PC. And that the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB will be good enough for years to come. I don't think I need to upgrade the cooling to the HydroLux other than it just looking cool.

Do any of you have any other suggestions or feedback? Where I could save money?

---- CURRENT SPECS -------
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97I-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition (Quiet) (Gold Plus Rated)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: High Static Pressure - Corsair Air Series SP120 Fans (2x 120mm)
Internal Lighting: Front Panel + Internal Chassis (RGB LED Lighting System)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
------ END CURRENT SPECS ------
pHluid13 View Drop Down

Quote pHluid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 1:34pm
I just spoke with an agent and they recommended a similar build. I made the modifications to the storage I wanted and came up with this number: 4575108. So maybe I was not too far off.

Is the 24 inch monitor that Digital Storm offers a good monitor in your opinion?
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 2:26pm
If you don't mind spending just a little more, I would recommend upgrading your SSDs to the Samsung 980 Pro. For example, upgrading your 500 GB SSD to the Samsung 980 Pro would cost an additional $59, and it's 3 times faster.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 4:19am
You've done pretty well. i agree witn JamesAstro on the 980 upgrade. Your primary drive is the only one you really need to super-charge like that, and I think the 500GB is perfect for your OS, apps and maintenance software. You'll get a few games to fit on there, too. You'll thank us everyday for the speed you get for everything you do in Windows.

If you need to save somewhere else, the dual fan All-In-One is plenty for that proc. The 3060Ti is all you'll need for top-end gaming at 1080p, but the $85 spread for the 3070 does beckon. That's really the best bang-for-buck choice for 1440p.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/4083vs4090

It's entirely up to you, but you don't NEED it.

The monitor looks pretty good. It's an Asus, and it's not over-priced. If you go with some of the small savings I suggest, maybe you'd like to consider a 27" 1080p with high refresh. I like the Asus Tuf models with or without the curve, and they are attractively priced. Most consider the 27" monitor the sweet spot these days. I game on a 24", and I think I'd like the 27".

Hope it helps.   

Edited by Cretae - 19 Dec 2022 at 4:25am
pHluid13 View Drop Down

Quote pHluid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 5:15pm
Thanks you two, I didn't even think of that when I was configuring my order. I went ahead and made those adjustments. Order has been placed. I think it will be a nice 2nd Digital Storm for me. My dad's been in the market for a new computer so I think the old one will probably suit him for his needs.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 5:54pm
You're gonna love this machine! I've had many DS machines over the years, including an Aventum 3. The Velox is my all-time favorite. It's a lovely design that is big, but not too big, and it'll last you for many years.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply