FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velox or aventum?

Post Date: 2020-03-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wdnobile View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wdnobile Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: velox or aventum?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:32am

So - was all set to buy an aventum...but they want 400 bucks to ship the thing and its already a pricey PC.

Is there any reason not to just get the Velox instead? Aside from the giant radiator and extra fans - it seems I can get all the same items for 1300 less.

Aside from the "it looks cool as hell" factor - any reason you can think of not to go Velox ?

Thoughts?
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
Your question is excellent. The shipping cost is not, in my opinion, a deciding factor. With the Aventum, the system must be shipped freight due to its weight. I chose freight for my Lumos, simply because I didn't want to have to worry about unnecessary damage along the trip home. That cost was actually absorbed by the discounts Digital Storm provided me for going above several thousand dollars. Not being coy there but I can't remember the threshold. For my $5000 Lumos, DS's discounts covered the freight shipping.

With that out of the way, I look to capability of the platforms in question. For my "training wheels" Lumos, I opted for a single 360mm radiator and custom liquid cooling for the CPU. I know now that I will need to get a 240mm radiator in the near future for water cooling the GPU as well. All on the same loop; just a couple of extra tubes, fittings, and GPU water block.

I mention the Lumos given its size. I won't be able to fit two 360mm radiators. Not sure the Velox would provide much more room (length dimension). The Aventum clearly has radiators on steroids. I think there are three 2 x 360 and 1 x 480. Clearly way more cooling capacity than I could conjure up with a 3950X and a 200 Super.

Looking into my future crystal ball (beyond the Lumos service life), I am anticipating an HEDT build (i9x equivalent), and a 2080Ti equivalent. Running a quick play-through of the EKWB loop configurator, I'm still looking at less than 700 watts of heat. The Aventum would certainly keep my system cool. But, the Aventum would be overkill for my needs.

I would need something between the Lumos and the Aventum. I've been studying some completed builds on PCPartPicker. My understanding is that Digital Storm can build a completely custom system outside of the "catalog" if we supply the parts and pay the labor. Instead of overkilling the problem, or settling for underkilling, we can find a middle-ground. This is assuming you are not willing to build your own system. Something like this (courtesy of calibur45) looks rather straightforward:

Tuna Fishy
https://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/lumos-build-tidf50917-pidf371823/#371823
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
  Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 8:37am
I ordered the Velox. After much discussion with one of the techs there on spec'ing a machine, I and he decided the Velox was more than enough. The Aventum won't do anything that the Velox or others will do. I choose the Velox because of the great air flow in the case, which was also discussed. Save the money and maybe upgrade a bit on the Velox or treat yourself to something else. Just my opinion you understand. Best of luck.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 19 Aug 2020 at 8:38am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 2:54pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS. Awesome
The Velox is another exclusive DS design and the mobo is also mounted upside down. You only "need" the Aventum if you are going to do some serious oc'ing. Its cooling is unmatched!.Strong
Enjoy. Big%20Smile
Jtbjr View Drop Down

Quote Jtbjr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:20am
IMO the Aventum is good for looks only. MAYBE if you are running 4x top-of-the-line overclocked liquid cooled GPUs and a highly overclocked top line cpu the aventum might be worth it because of its larger radiators.

The velox will be overkill for almost any build you can buy here. And even the velox is only worth it if you are liquid cooling an overclocked cpu and gpu.

Bottom line: Velox is a top of the line case and I would only go with the Acentum if money is no object. Its like comparing a $750,000 lamborghini and a $1.2 million Lamborghini.

The one thing im unsure about is if upgrading the fans is worth it. Im having a lot of trouble finding out how good the DS factory fans are for a custom water loop system.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:21am
Upgraded fans won't matter much for a custom loop build. The most important parts that generate heat are under water, so the need for airflow is reduced. The case is highly rated for good airflow at stock. spend th money only if you want the look.
 Post Reply Post Reply