FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox ordered, (unique?) question on multi monitor

Post Date: 2016-05-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
alc1 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote alc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox ordered, (unique?) question on multi monitor
    Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:47am
Hello,

Velox in the build queue w/ i7-5930K, 980Ti strix, M.2 drive & other goodies.

I will be gaming & doing photo/video editing, and plan on using 2 monitors independently based on the task... can that be done?

What I envision is using something like a BenQ BL3200PT as the default for desktop/photo/video editing, and then a BenQ XL2730Z for gaming... can games be setup to run full-screen on the gaming monitor while all other applications run on the primary? I can probably run games in windowed mode and drag it over to the gaming monitor, but full-screen would be ideal.

I suppose I can just turn on/off one or the other monitor as well... would be nice if games would launch and auto run on the gaming monitor.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!
Al
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:53am
I'd say drop that 980 Ti Strix for a GTX 1080. The Founder Edition 1080's perform about as well as a nicely overclocked 980 Ti because of thermal throttling. If you can put that GPU under water, it'll stop the life out of that 980 Ti with easy.

a 5930k + a 1080 will run any game you want on max settings including AAA titles with max settings. Unless you're playing at 4k... but then, as the drivers mature, it will rock 4k also.

Is this your first multi-monitor system. To give you an idea. I run between 3-4 monitors on my main rig (I'm constantly moving things around in my house). I usually has my gaming going on my middle monitor. Facebook/Twitch/netflix/Plex on my right monitor, and other random applications like my torrent downloader or just another open tab on my left monitor. You can run whatever you want on any monitor, while stuff is running on the other one, no problem.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
alc1 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote alc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 12:05pm
Thanks for the comments Meller.

Yeah, already waited months for a new system, and didn't want to wait even longer for the GTX1080. I figured I could always swap that in once the price comes down next year.

I've used multi-monitor before but always been 2x of the same type and as an extended desktop... not 2 different monitors for specific tasks (ie: low latency one for gaming, and one w/ good color reproduction for photo/video editing).

Sounds like what I'm planing on will work just fine... now off to shop for 2 monitors!
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 12:11pm
The GTX 1080's were released today. So no need to wait. lol.

And yea, I use a G-SYNC 1440p 144Mhz monitor as my main monitor that I game on, usually. Some times I have a 4k IPS monitor also hooked up, other times it's a standard TN 60Hz 1440p monitor. I run several different kinds of monitors.

Unless you're doing Surround with 3 desktops, it just makes sense to buy individual monitors to fit a certain need. (IE A nice gaming one, a nice color reproduction for movies etc..) It all works. You'll still extend the desktop, but can use each monitor individually for certain purposes, no problem.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply