FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox Upgrade

Post Date: 2020-01-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Uglyyoda View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uglyyoda Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Upgrade
    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:13am
I bought a DS Velox in 2016.   It is by far the best decision I made in buying a computer.   I am having no problem with it and DS has been great with the one issue I had.   I can still play all the games I listed below but am now looking to upgrade the box us DS.   I am some what technical and can do the work my self or can send the box back.   I am looking some some input from people on the best upgrades to buy using the same box.   I have listed my budget below.

Thanks,

Budget:

Expectations:
Best possible upgrades for money spent

Usage:
Everyday computing, Gaming - WoW, League of Legends, Destiny 2

Special Needs:
None

Current Velox

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (EVGA HYBRID Edition) Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio HPC Processor:
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects) Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz Boost Graphics Card(s):
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:03pm
Welcome back to the forum Uglyyoda! Yes DS can do that.

You should talk to DS Sales about costs for shipping your old rig back to re-use the 2016 Velox case in a new build...vs buying components from DS for you to install.

You will have to decide if it's better buying a full new rig or doing it as you suggested. Obviously if DS builds the rig, it's all system Parts warrantied for a year or more by DS and gets lifetime Support...if you build it then that doesn't happen and you rely on manufacturer warranties.   If you decide to have parts shipped for you to build yourself then you would probably find it less expensive to shop those components and buy from NewEgg or amazon on your own I think.

We can't put a build config together without a case, so I did a suggested comparable upgraded Velox config for you. I don't know if there are components of your old rig you would expect to re-use, but think your budget would perhaps be a bit light.

I would use the excellent Intel i7-9700K CPU with a Stage 2 Overclock, solid Corsair H115i AIO Stage 2 cooler to support the processor, a solid Asus ROG Strix-H Z390 ATX mobo, 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3000 mHz Vengeance Pro RAM as RAM is very inexpensive now, a fast Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD, an 850W Corsair Gold efficiency PSU, Corsair LL Series RGP case fans that includes a Corsair Fan Expert Pro control module so that all the Corsair RGB components may be synched & controlled via Corsairs iCUE software, and just one NVidia RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VRAM GPU. Expensive enough for one of these top GPU's, SLI isn't so necessary for top performance nor as popular as it once was...but SLI now called NV-Link would still be possible if you wanted or required 2x GPU. You would want to boost the PSU if you would want to be able to just add a 2nd GPU later on. I would suggest the excellent 1200 watt Corsair AX1200i Platinum efficiency Digital modular PSU in that event.

Velox Config # 2822143   $4,142 Minus DS Sale $400 Off = $3,742 and Free Shipping

This raft of components would I think be a good update and solid upgrade from your current SLI X-99 build.

You of course could still keep that old rig going a bit longer with a GPU upgrade, but the performance benefits of a brand new rig using DDR4 RAM and a current CPU and mobo would be the strongest move. I have an older 2011 DS X79 rig I upgraded from 2X SLI RTX 680 Classified to one EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra and it plays Ultra settings in WoW at 5760 x 1200 on 3x 24" monitors....

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:16pm
Hi Uglyyoda,

That is still a very nice system. All you need is to change the gpu. Right now EVGA has the RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 Hybrid on sale and it should keep that Velox happy for some years down the road. Or take the opportunity to also upgrade the panel to a 4K and install the RTX 2080Ti Hybrid (various versions available from EVGA)

I upgraded GTX 980s to RTX 2080Ti FTW Ultra Hydro Copper (2) in a RAMPAGE V (not 3.1 like yours which is newer) with a 5960X and it is back to max on all games on a 2K panel. Also have a 1080 panel hooked up to it. I do tend to go for the overkill though. My next move, when I finally change to W10 will be to install it on a m.2 NVMe. My board has one slot and I am sure yours has the same or more.

Keep us posted.

Edited by hoserator - 11 Jan 2020 at 9:38pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:27am
I agree more with Hoserator. I think if you built a whole new rig right now, a lot of the power your system still has would go to waste. IMHO, you should upgrade your GPU and get an NVMe SSD if you have an M.2 slot on the mobo. Wait for the next CPU/GPU tech cycle to go all-in. That's just a year away. In the case of GPUs, it's six months. You're much too strong yet to spend a lot on what would be relatively minor improvement.
 Post Reply Post Reply