FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox vs Slade vs P101: What’s the most quiet?

Post Date: 2021-07-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox vs Slade vs P101: What’s the most quiet?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm
I’m thinking of buying an air-cooled Velox. I really love the aesthetics of the Velox case, but I’m thinking of switching to an Antec P101 case or maybe a Slade X to help reduce noise. Do you have any thoughts about which case is the most quiet?
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:33pm
I don't have experience with any of those. Maybe @fwfdfireman will share some Velox X insight.

Until then, I can give you some observations/tidbits:

• Larger fans can (typically) push more air at lower RPMs.

• Good/better airflow would allow for lower fan speed.

• Fully air cooled, including a tower CPU cooler, is not going to end up in the silent running column.
-- I have a small form factor Ryzen 5600X with the stock AMD cooler, RTX 3080 FE system in a very breathable case -- lots of mesh and a few 120mm fans. At idle, the CPU fan is certainly noticeable. Under load, time to call it vacuum cleaner mode.
-- I've been opposed to the negatives of liquid cooling for awhile, though did finally dip my toe and equipped a recent build with an AIO (as I mentioned in another thread).

As for the cases:

• The Slade and P101 use channel-type front air intake designs.
-- The design does lessen the amount of sound that can escape from the case, however, it's also less efficient than the full mesh front panels on cases such as the Velox.
-- The Lumos also uses this design, although, the purpose is to provide a clearer, more vibrant view of RGB lighting.

• The Velox uses reverse/inverted ATX mounting.
-- A primary advantage of the layout is improved airflow/cooling for the graphics card(s). In modern, standard ATX designs, the graphics card heat is primarily exhausted via the rear fan. However, half or so of the heat exhausted by the graphics card can linger between the card and PSU shroud. In the reverse/inverted ATX case design, the rear fan still helps with GPU heat, but the top fans (now closer to the graphics card(s) will assist a lot more.
--- Basically, air can be pulled across the graphics card from both top and bottom.
-- The biggest complaint is presentation. Because manufacturers design components for standard ATX layouts, labels (e.g., Geforce RTX) will appear upside down. See @fwfdfireman's system photo (which is a nice looking rig, by the way).

Last but not least, doing research is great. Nonetheless, whichever you pick, don't let second guessing weigh heavily.

In final revisions, I was torn between choosing the be quiet 500DX and Phanteks P400A cases for the rig listed in my sig. I also strongly considered a Velox build. It's a very long story on how it unfolded. Even so, I don't think I would have reasonably regretted any of those options.

Edited by MrCheetah - 05 Jul 2021 at 8:35pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 6:21pm
Thanks for your suggestions MrCheetah. I ended up getting the standard Velox case with an AIO cooler. I'm hoping that will give me screaming performance, but with a moderate amount of noise.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 9:51pm
Nice.

I think, it will stay fairly quiet. You should mostly just hear the "whrrring" sound as long as the room/ambient temp doesn't approach 26C/79F -- at least that's my guess based on experience.

I'm interested to read the review after you've had a chance to play with it for a little while.

Edited by MrCheetah - 06 Jul 2021 at 10:12pm
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 12:01am
Congrats.  Awesome

The Velox is a DS exclusive design. The window is on the right and that's why the mobo is mounted upside down. Same as your Aventum.

Air cooling is not necessarily noisier. It all depends what cooler is used. The Noctuas are very quiet but not offered anymore and perform as well as an AIO.
Comparing a large case with a SFF is not demonstrative of performance since the size is a major factor for cooling and therefor noise.
Enjoy.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:15am
My Velox, with AIO is quiet. There is nothing about this PC that I don't love. Depending on your fan curve(s) you set, there could be SOME noise depending on the situation. There is noise, don't get me wrong, but I am highly impressed with this PC.
Like I said in my other post, I had the Corsair Commander Pro installed and use that to control my lights and fan speeds. When I got the PC from DS started playing some intense games, the fan speeds were set to quiet. If they sped up, it was barely noticeable and seemed to be producing a little more heat than expected from the case. Checked temps and nothing drastic. I then set all the fans to a "Balanced" setting and that is the sweet spot. The "Performance" setting had the fans running and making more noise all the time, me no likey!

Old Gamers Never Die!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 5:22am
@fwfdfireman

Good to know, hear. I'm guessing the Velox is at least a little better than what I've got. The graphics card fans, when 80%+ or so, are the ones that stand out. Otherwise, it's more of a soft whirring sound.

I also tried Corsair's "Extreme" setting for the fans, even different combinations of some Extreme some Balanced, and the temps didn't improve that much (a few degrees). Also, having the window side panel removed only drops the peak temps about five degrees. Hopefully, that's an indicator the case and config is fairly efficient in airflow.

Originally posted by hoserator

Air cooling is not necessarily noisier. It all depends what cooler is used. The Noctuas are very quiet but not offered anymore and perform as well as an AIO.

That is true. I should have added that tidbit, but left it out because such options aren't currently available at DS and probably reasonably so. Some of those coolers are massive and don't mount quite as securely as an AIO setup. Nonetheless, I'm not opposed. In fact, I had initially selected the be quiet Shadow Rock 3 - White Edition on my build; however, I was strongly advised against it due to size (likely mostly in regard to shipping damage concerns).

Originally posted by hoserator

Comparing a large case with a SFF is not demonstrative of performance since the size is a major factor for cooling and therefor noise.
Enjoy.

Yeah. Best to probably leave that comparison out next time. It was a poor attempt to inform that stock CPU coolers and the like can be an option from a functional standpoint though require tolerating lots of noise. Again, poor choice by me to include such an example.

Edited by MrCheetah - 07 Jul 2021 at 5:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply