FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox vs Slade vs P101: What’s the most quiet?

Post Date: 2022-07-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox vs Slade vs P101: What’s the most quiet?
    Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 6:24am
I don't know anything about the other two you mentioned, but I do own the Velox. I have a 240mm AIO cooling the CPU and I can tell you, it is quiet. The Velox is the best case for airflow that DS has, in my opinion.

I am sure others will chime in. And................ welcome to DS!

Edited by fwfdfireman - 25 Jul 2022 at 6:25am
Old Gamers Never Die!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 12:08am
Welcome to DS.

The Velox case is an exclusive DS proprietary design. The window is on the right when facing the front and the mobo is inverted. That puts the gpu on top and provides a bit better cooling in addition to the roominess of the interior. With better cooling comes less noise from fans. The new hardware is more powerful but that requires more Power and that translates into heat so you want a cool and airy case. Have not heard any comments about any Velox running hot.

I don't know about the other cases.

Keep us posted.

JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 10:00am
I was asking the exact same question before I purchased my Velox last summer. Having a quiet air-cooled computer was really important to me.

I ended up getting the standard Velox case, and I'm glad that I did. Wow this thing is quiet! However, mine has a few customizations to control the noise:

1) I asked DS to install a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler. Normally they don't carry that part, and won't ship it, because it has a history of breaking free during shipping. However, I lived nearby, and picked up my computer in person. Thus the Noctua cooler was an option for me.

2) I also replaced the standard case fans with Noctua NF-A14 and Noctua NF-S12A fans. Those are really quiet.

3) I asked DS to install a Corsair AX1600i power supply. The provides way more power than I need. However, at the power levels that I'm using, the PSU fan doesn't even turn on. It's silent.

4) I had them install an RTX 3090 rather than a 3080 Ti, because the fans are much bigger on the 3090, they spin slower, and make less noise.

5) Finally, I edited the fan speed curves to make things really quiet. I have the fans running at 800 RPM if the temperature is below 70C. The computer never exceeds that temperature, so the fans are always quiet. The sound produced at 800 RPM is quiet and pleasing to the ear. I barely hear anything when playing high end games at max quality on a 38" display.

In short, you can make a super quiet Velox, but it might take some custom parts. The RTX 3090 is overkill for performance, and quiet expensive. You could downgrade that part, but might get a little more noise. The Corsair AX1600i is also overkill. However, I would recommend going with the highest level Corsair AXi series that you can afford. Those power supplies are pretty quiet, and they only turn on the PSU fan when needed.

Best of luck in your purchase!
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 1:15pm
I am very happy with my Velox. It is always cool to the touch and very quiet. Even when running benchmarks and maxing out CPU and GPU usage, the Velox configuration allows effective cooling. This minimizes noise compared with keeping components cool in a dense component configuration like in some compact cases.

It is also a very beautiful system!

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply