FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

video card question

Post Date: 2022-10-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
17blue17 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: video card question
    Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 12:12pm
I have a fairly new system from 2021: 3060 ti AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 32 gig ram asus rog crosshair VIII dark hero board. 1000 watt power supply.

I chose the 3060 ti because I mainly game at 1080p so no need for more expensive card at the time of build.

My question is that I hear new cards are coming out and that they take 3 slots ????   Should I be trying to buy a 3080ti while they still exist or do you think they will be around for a while? I mean what happens in the future when my 3060 ti dies and the new cards have absurd slot or power requirements etc. I would think manufacturers would still make cards to fit 2021 boards???

Maybe I worry too much about nothing. Would be nice to know.

FYI different topic: recent windows 11 22h2 upgrade fails multiple times. Turns out 2 printers have unsigned drivers preventing upgrade: Microsoft print to pdf and Microsoft print to something else.   

Stupid Microsoft!!!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by 17blue17

Maybe I worry too much about nothing.

Probably

Originally posted by 17blue17

Would be nice to know.

Essentially speculation, nevertheless, let's look at some comparisons.

The GeForce GTX 690 was Nvidia's non-pro flagship in 2012 -- a 2-slot card with a max power of 300W (reference/FE design).

A decade later, the RTX 4090 is a 450W max power, 3-slot graphics card. Even if we go with third-party model at 3.5-slot thickness with a max power of 600W (spec of a single 16-pin PCI-E 5.0 power connection), that's still only about twice the size and power requirement -- again, after a decade.

Looking at another perspective...

The GeForce GTX 660 Ti was a 2-slot card but had a max power of 150W, half of the 690.

In current day, the estimated max power requirements of a Core i5 12600K + GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (mid-range) rig is about half of a Core i9 12900K + GeForce RTX 3090 Ti (high-end) rig.

So, if we were to do an extremely simple prediction, assuming details are linear, the mid-range graphics card of 2032 would be 4-slot with a max power of 600W. The high-end would presumably be a 7-slot or 8-slot design with a max power of 12000W. Ha! If that prediction comes true, I'm not sure what I'll say.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 4:47am
MrCheetah is on the right track, seems to me. The only cards coming right away are the 4090 and two flavors of a 4080. The 4080s both require less power than a 3080 Ti. (320W and 285W vs 350W.) I haven't seen the configuration of the cards down the list, but I haven't looked too hard. The pictures I have seen look normal (two slot height, dual fans), but where do they come from?

You haven't said if your looking to upgrade your whole video output, but if not, you may rest assured the 4060 Ti will run rings around your 3060 Ti. I expect it will be a very decent card for 1440p gaming. I don't see any reason such a card would need more than 2 slots, nor require more wattage than a 4080 12GB. This is logic, but all we can really do is wait and see. My bet is Nvidia will not cut itself off from the much larger market for more modest cards. Remember the die process is downsizing from 8nm to 4nm creating greater performance in a smaller die size, obviating the need for larger cards. It appears to me the size of the high-end cards is to accommodate more robust fans for cooling more than anything else.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 6:10am
Originally posted by Cretae

It appears to me the size of the high-end cards is to accommodate more robust fans for cooling more than anything else.

This topic was brought up on the latest RTFM Show episode. Basically, the guess is the graphics cards designs include a notable amount of overcompensating "bro"/"manly man" culture ideology. Having hands-on experience with a high-end graphics card, I believe that conclusion. During normal/designed operation (i.e., no manual OCing), the 3090 FTW3U keeps itself plenty cool. The problem being the amount of heat the card efficiently dumps into the case. Sure, in my case -- pun intended -- the radiator restricts intake airflow. However, even without that obstruction, I have no doubt I'd need to run dual 140mm fans at nearly max RPM to sweep enough air through to keep up with the graphics card exhaust.

And yes, a more refined die manufacturing process can help somewhat, but not if chip designers simply pack in more and more processing cores.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Oct 2022 at 6:11am
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 11:11am
Thanks for the replies. My question was more about physical slots available on the motherboard. I guess my current card takes or blocks 2 slots? Not sure. If a new replacement card in the future takes 3 or 4 slots how would I replace my 3060ti if it dies in some future year? That was my concern.   Not sure if my current board has 3 or 4 slots open for a new card. And yes I watched a video review on line saying how over the top these new 3 or 4 slot requirements are which is what got my thinking.   

Edited by 17blue17 - 09 Oct 2022 at 11:12am
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 7:19pm
I understand but there's, apparently, still a miscommunication -- which is okay.

Foremost, when referring to "PCI slots," some contest is helpful.

There are PCI (well, PCIe/PCIE/PCI-E nowadays) slots -- I think, connector or port would be more accurate but slot is the commonly interchanged term -- on a motherboard:

(As you can see, there are two short PCI slots -- they'd be referred to as PCI x1 connectors/slots -- between the full-length (x16) connectors/slots. The Dark Hero doesn't have connectors between the full-length connectors, however, that area is two PCI slots wide.)

And PCI slots on the case/enclosure:

Less important to your question though still possibly helpful knowledge: a "PCI fence" is the bracket that provides a means to mount an expansion card to the case:

(See the fence resemblance?)

And PCI slot covers:

Back to your question/concern

Most motherboards, especially "gaming" and workstation-type, in probably the past decade or more are designed so no components obstruct the PCI expansion slot area because they are aware of graphics card and other expansion card sizes, which vary greatly. Discrete or dedicated graphics cards are just one expansion card type. For example, there are USB cards, storage cards, wireless cards, and more.

In this photo of a DS Velox, there's only one expansion card installed, a graphics card:

Also notice there is a slot (gap) below the card (vice versa in a standard case, such as Lumos). This is typical with an ATX or EATX motherboard. Additionally, there are five slots above the graphics card. The Velox has 8 slots total, thus we confirm it's a 2-slot card -- probably an RTX 3080 (Ti) FE. It's recommended to have at least one PCI slot width between components/cards. Therefore, the Velox could accommodate up to one 6-slot card. If, for example, you have an expansion card installed in the second full-length slot, any card in the first/topmost slot should not be larger than two slots in thickness -- leaving a one slot gap as mentioned earlier.

I could not find great photos, nevertheless, you're mainly limited if you have more than one expansion card.

This is okay:

Never create this setup:

(The RTX 3090 FE is a 3-slot card. That is, it occupies the slot with the connector plus the two below it. The card below it does the same, thus only a tiny gap between. Both graphics cards will be choked off while the top is also heat saturated by the lower cards' exhaust.)

And if you would get an RTX 3090 Ti FTW3U, a 3.5-slot card, the second full-length PCIE connector would be inaccessible/unusable:

(See how the graphics card shroud is encroaching just above, blocking the second PCIE x16 slot?)

Does this clarify things?

Sorry about the length, although, I wanted to provide enough info.

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Oct 2022 at 7:53pm
17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:10am
If you are saying that I have room for a future large multi slot card replacement if my current card dies then yes.

thanks
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 5:23pm
don't buy the "Ti" versions of cards, there's no value in them.  the 3080 12 GB should be a real steal right now.  the Gigabyte 12gb card is on Newegg for $720 for example.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply