video card upgrade

Post Date: 2021-07-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: video card upgrade
    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 6:36pm
Hey guys.

BF2042 on the way.. Thinking about upgrading my 1080 if video cards are ever available again for less than 3 times their value. So if that ever happens was wondering if my MB will support the 3070/3080.

I have the Maxiumus VIII Hero. Says its PCI 3.0 interface but the new cards are 4.0. I don't know enough to know if that matters.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 11:07pm
PCIe is (mostly) backwards compatible (i.e., a PCIe 4 graphics card will function in a PCIe 3 and even PCIe 2 slot).

Whether or not you experience/notice a performance limitation will primarily depend on FPS, somewhat resolution, and possibly per game -- similar to the "CPU bottleneck."

PCI Express 4 vs PCIe 3: Is there a performance improvement? | Digital Citizen

Generally, 144 FPS/Hz and higher.

Edited by MrCheetah - 29 Jul 2021 at 11:14pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 3:49am
The VAST majority of gamers are still in the land of PCIe Gen 3. Intel just made it to Gen 4 in April/May. Nvidia took this into account when they designed the cards and made drivers for the 3000 series GPUs. The differences are pretty small.
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 10:01am
OK, so no problem with the 3070/3080 with my MB. Although I may not experience quite the same benchmark numbers that Nvidia promotes with the new cards.

One more question. Will there be additional power connections required or will it just be plugging my current power connection to the new card?

Edited by Doc - 30 Jul 2021 at 10:20am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 1:54pm
I'm pretty sure that the cable for the 1080 is a 6+2. I don't know the power requirements for those cards or how they are wired. You might need an additional 6+2 from the psu but it should be easy.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Doc

One more question. Will there be additional power connections required or will it just be plugging my current power connection to the new card?

The 3070, 3070 Ti, and most 3080 cards require two 8-pin PCIe connectors -- the Asus ROG Strix is the only 3080 model demanding three 8-pin connections that I recall. Recommended PSU wattages range from 650 to 850 -- again, depending upon model.

You can use the...

OuterVision Power Supply Calculator

...To estimate your specific config's energy load. I suggest increasing the Video Card Core Clock slider 125 to 225 MHz beyond the base (i.e., account for default, auto-overclock) to get a more accurate estimation.
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by MrCheetah

Originally posted by Doc

The 3070, 3070 Ti, and most 3080 cards require two 8-pin PCIe connectors -- the Asus ROG Strix is the only 3080 model demanding three 8-pin connections that I recall. Recommended PSU wattages range from 650 to 850 -- again, depending upon model.

You can use the...

...To estimate your specific config's energy load. I suggest increasing the Video Card Core Clock slider 125 to 225 MHz beyond the base (i.e., account for default, auto-overclock) to get a more accurate estimation.

So it appears my 1080 has one 8 pin PCIe connector. So I'll have to get another and take the computer apart to wire it to the PSU the same way DS has it wired to make it pretty. Uggghhhhh. Or I could just let the new wires lay where ever.

Looks like they gave me several 8 pin PCIe connectors in the bag of extras that comes with the rig, but unfortunately, not the pretty white ones they built my rig with, that match my color scheme.

Edited by Doc - 31 Jul 2021 at 11:59am
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Doc

Post Options Post Options
Quote Doc Quote Post ReplyReplybullet Posted: Today at 5:52am

Originally posted by Doc

You can use the...

So it appears my 1080 has one 8 pin PCIe connector. So I'll have to get another and take the computer apart to wire it to the PSU the same way DS has it wired to make it pretty. Uggghhhhh. Or I could just let the new wires lay where ever.

Decisions, decisions.

I feel the need to point out a small misstep by me. I realized I didn't check the details of the 3070 FE, just several AIB models. I have a rig with a 3080 FE, so I know that model does require dual 8-pin.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition Review | Tom's Hardware
The RTX 3070 Founder Edition also uses Nvidia's new 12-pin power connector, but this time, instead of a y-combiner that takes dual 8-pin PEG connectors, it's just a single 8-pin port that's converted to a 12-pin port. Was this really necessary? I mean, I sort of like the extension cable because it's far easier to leave it connected and just detach the 8-pin connector. But then again, I swap GPUs pretty much daily, so my usage is not at all like a typical user. Also, the 12-pin connector is basically the same length as an 8-pin connector and is only a few millimeters narrower, but the orientation is such that putting on an 8-pin connector instead wouldn't have been a problem.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
What's Included
GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card
NVIDIA Single 8-pin power adapter

I figure, it could be relevant to your pondering.

Originally posted by Doc

Looks like they gave me several 8 pin PCIe connectors in the bag of extras that comes with the rig, but unfortunately, not the pretty white ones they built my rig with, that match my color scheme.

That is a bummer. You could ask DS. The worst they can say is "We don't provide those after purchase" though they might offer to send you one, allow you to buy one/pack, or simply tell you which brand they use or what's comparable.

Edited by MrCheetah - 31 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by Doc

Post Options Post Options
Quote Doc Quote Post ReplyReplybullet Posted: Today at 5:52am

Originally posted by Doc

You can use the...

Decisions, decisions.

I feel the need to point out a small misstep by me. I realized I didn't check the details of the 3070 FE, just several AIB models. I have a rig with a 3080 FE, so I know that model does require dual 8-pin.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition Review | Tom's Hardware
The RTX 3070 Founder Edition also uses Nvidia's new 12-pin power connector, but this time, instead of a y-combiner that takes dual 8-pin PEG connectors, it's just a single 8-pin port that's converted to a 12-pin port. Was this really necessary? I mean, I sort of like the extension cable because it's far easier to leave it connected and just detach the 8-pin connector. But then again, I swap GPUs pretty much daily, so my usage is not at all like a typical user. Also, the 12-pin connector is basically the same length as an 8-pin connector and is only a few millimeters narrower, but the orientation is such that putting on an 8-pin connector instead wouldn't have been a problem.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
What's Included
GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card
NVIDIA Single 8-pin power adapter

I figure, it could be relevant to your pondering.

Originally posted by Doc

That is a bummer. You could ask DS. The worst they can say is "We don't provide those after purchase" though they might offer to send you one, allow you to buy one/pack, or simply tell you which brand they use or what's comparable.

Well, if the 3070 only requires one 8 pin, I'm set. Just change cards and use the nice white connector already in place, correct?
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:27pm
Unfortunately, it still wouldn't look as pretty.

Because Nvidia chose to use a proprietary(?) 12-pin connector on their cards, you won't be able to connect your white sleeved cable directly to the 3070 FE. You'd need Nvidia's black 12-pin to 8-pin adapter cable in between.
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 7:37am
Well, whatever makes it harder.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 11:39am
No prize at the bottom of the cereal box this time, it appears. ;) :(

To summarize:

1) The RTX 3070 Founders Edition won't require you to route another PCIe power cable, but the short adapter will break up the nice cable appearance a little.

2) If you go for an AIB -- I haven't checked every model -- you'll probably need to run at least one extra cable, whether 6 or 8-pin (again, depending on GPU and card model).

I guess, the silver lining being you have plenty of time to consider which is your preferred option. Unless you love to scour eBay frequently, card availability and pricing is not improving in leaps.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 9:20am
Search out "12-pin to dual 8-pin" under pc cable mods and you should find a white extension for that gpu. Around 15 dollars in Amazon.
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Search out "12-pin to dual 8-pin" under pc cable mods and you should find a white extension for that gpu. Around 15 dollars in Amazon.

Thanks.

I don't understand the dual 8 pin part. Probably because I can't see the connections from the video card to the PS. DS hides them so well I'll have to take the computer apart to trace the wires.

My 1080 has one 8 pin connection at the card. That cord splits into two at the PS?

Or the 12 pin will split in to two 8 pins which or course equals 16, requiring two spots to plug into the PS? I thought the point of the 12 to 8 converter was to convert it to 8.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 3:40am
As I get it, the 8 pin you already have plgged into your GPU receives an adapter extension that has 12 pins to plug into the new card.
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Cretae

As I get it, the 8 pin you already have plgged into your GPU receives an adapter extension that has 12 pins to plug into the new card.

That's how I envisioned it as well, but every pic I see has a 12 pin on one end and two splits on the other end. I'm sure I'm making this much harder than it is.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 1:52am
I don't think so.

You will need 2 8-pin connector wires to connect to the adapter that converts the 2 into the 12-pin gpu connector. One cable does not provide enough power.

Some of the new cards use 3 8-pin connectors.

You will have to open the rear of the case (make sure you take all necessary precautions as in: turn off psu, disconnect from wall, ground yourself to the case by touching any of its metal surface and then open) and see if there is a spare 6+2 pin wire already connected to the psu, otherwise you will have to take one from the box you got with the system with the extras.

Edited by hoserator - 04 Aug 2021 at 2:01am
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 9:47am
Thanks
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:45am
hoserator
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 5:26am
Been there, done that.
I'm surprised the 1080 was only a 1 x 8-pin connector. Maybe an FE? I had 1080Ti's and they used 2x 8 Pin connectors each.
There are all sort of combinations today.

It is not hard to do. (just not easy to keep as neat as it was). If you have to take anything apart, take plenty of images before and after. It's a nice project to get to know your system.
Good luck. Smile

@Cretae: thank you sir. Smile
ForeverAlone View Drop Down

Quote ForeverAlone Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Doc

Hey guys.

BF2042 on the way.. Thinking about upgrading my 1080 if video cards are ever available again for less than 3 times their value. So if that ever happens was wondering if my MB will support the 3070/3080.

I have the Maxiumus VIII Hero. Says its PCI 3.0 interface but the new cards are 4.0. I don't know enough to know if that matters.

I'd be happy to sell you a 3080 at a very fair price. I'll just need one of your kidneys and your first born child.
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by ForeverAlone

Originally posted by Doc

Hey guys.

I'd be happy to sell you a 3080 at a very fair price. I'll just need one of your kidneys and your first born child.

Well, that's less than I can get one on Newegg!    
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 2:54am
No worries with the gpu's interface. Your mobo will handle it just fine. Just make sure it physically fits.
 Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply