FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Video Editing Configuration

Post Date: 2007-09-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
video4U2C View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote video4U2C Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Video Editing Configuration
    Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 4:41pm

As a hobby and side job, I mainly do video capturing, editing, rendering, and DVD burning - all of it very CPU intensive.  I only shoot standard video now but want to make sure that I buy the right machine for HDV when I'm ready to move up to that.

I priced out 2 PCs, one for $2,199 and one for $2,473.  What did I get for my almost $300? 

Here's what I changed. 

Power Supply - 620W    --> 750W (in case I later want dual SLI cards)
Mother Board - 680i LT  --> 680i (A1 Revision)
Cooling          - Stage 2  --> Stage 3

That's it.  I was hoping to spend around $2,000, but now I'm up to $2,500 without a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor, a TV Tuner, any extra Firewire or USB cards, or any power protection.  I have some credit dollars to spend at a local MicroCenter store and plan on getting those items there.  I already have a 24" wide-screen HD monitor.

I only got one DVD reader/writer because I have an external automated DVD burner and printer plus another extra internal DVD writer that I could put in myself, but I plan on someday putting in an HD or Blue Ray burner once the dust settles in the format war.

I know many of you are gamers, but before I have the Digital Storm guys review it and order it, I'd appreciate any comments on what you think of this configuration for photo, audio, and video editing - especially if you have experience in this area.  (I don't do games.)

Other than video, I might possibly be doing some 3D creation someday.  I have an interest in doing some 3D work and even bought Poser 6 a while back, but I haven't had time to learn it and get into that world.

Here is my current configuration.

Copy of Specifications:
Case: Digital Storm Twister LITE (Silver Aluminum Edition)
Power Supply: 750W Thermaltake (SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1 Revision)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Media: Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 500GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (By: eVGA / Asus) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 (Silent Artic Cooling (TwisterBoost Overclocked)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Blue Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Thanks.

You don't need a license to shoot video.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 4:57pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=78235

You do not need a good GPU or SLI for video editing.

You need a 64-bit system with 4GB ram and a quad core CPU.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
video4U2C View Drop Down

Quote video4U2C Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 6:35pm

CORRECTION: There was another difference between the 2 prices. I switched to faster memory from 800 Mhz RAM to 1066 Mhz. Oops. I fogot that one.

video4U2C View Drop Down

Quote video4U2C Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 6:37pm

Sky, 

Thanks for the reply. I did not order the physics card or the 2 graphics cards for the SLI configuration, if that's what you meant. You're probably referring to my comment that I ordered the 750W power supply in case I ever want to go with 2 graphics cards for the SLI configuration. If so, I see your point.

I was thinking that I might someday want to go SLI because of adding extra monitors or for any potential 3D work and rendering. I figure that the extra $34 is worth it not to have to worry about potentially having to possibly replace my whole power supply someday just to get a few extra watts if I need it.

As for the 4 GB of RAM, yeah I'm worried about 2 GB not being enough. But the DS configurator only gave me a choice between 2 and 4, not 3.

Since 32-bit OSes like Windows and Vista can only address 4 GB, that includes the video card ram too. With the 8800GTS taking 640 MB of that, it leaves me with a little over 3 GB of actually usable main RAM. I don't want to pay for an extra gig of memory that I can't use. So, my thought was that if I need more RAM, I'll add another gig of RAM later using two 512 MB modules. If I ever switch to 64 bit Vista, then I may have to throw that RAM out to get larger ones to replace it, but that's a ways down the road and something that I may not have to deal with for a long time, if ever. However, it was several hundred dollars more to go with 4GB, and I'm already over budget.

I'm going with Vista Ultimate (32 bit version) for now instead of the 64 bit version because there are currently too many driver and software issues with the 64 bit version.

That's all that (I think) I know for now.  Thanks.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 9:28pm
My replies are going to be based on a system for video editing/rendering as a first priority.

SLI is good for gaming, even if you are looking for a multi-monitor setup, you can go away with a low end SLI setup. Rendering videos, etc don't really use your video cards. That's when a powerful CPU comes into play. Especially a quad-core.

Getting a bigger power supply is always a good idea, because, then you won't have to undo the amazing wiring job when you upgrade your system down the road. Newer and newer computer technology demands more power, it's good to get ahead of the game.

Go with a 4GB memory setup, that will help in rendering and doing video editing. We do not offer a 3GB setup because that cannot be put in a Dual-Channel mode, which will cut your bandwidth with a big axe.

We have built 64-bit versions of Vista Ultimate with no problems. If this is not mainly a gaming system, go with a 64-bit version to take advantage of all of the memory. Also, if your rendering application supports 64-bit code, you will also get a boost from it.

Originally posted by video4U2C

Sky, 

Thanks for the reply. I did not order the physics card or the 2 graphics cards for the SLI configuration, if that's what you meant. You're probably referring to my comment that I ordered the 750W power supply in case I ever want to go with 2 graphics cards for the SLI configuration. If so, I see your point.

I was thinking that I might someday want to go SLI because of adding extra monitors or for any potential 3D work and rendering. I figure that the extra $34 is worth it not to have to worry about potentially having to possibly replace my whole power supply someday just to get a few extra watts if I need it.

As for the 4 GB of RAM, yeah I'm worried about 2 GB not being enough. But the DS configurator only gave me a choice between 2 and 4, not 3.

Since 32-bit OSes like Windows and Vista can only address 4 GB, that includes the video card ram too. With the 8800GTS taking 640 MB of that, it leaves me with a little over 3 GB of actually usable main RAM. I don't want to pay for an extra gig of memory that I can't use. So, my thought was that if I need more RAM, I'll add another gig of RAM later using two 512 MB modules. If I ever switch to 64 bit Vista, then I may have to throw that RAM out to get larger ones to replace it, but that's a ways down the road and something that I may not have to deal with for a long time, if ever. However, it was several hundred dollars more to go with 4GB, and I'm already over budget.

I'm going with Vista Ultimate (32 bit version) for now instead of the 64 bit version because there are currently too many driver and software issues with the 64 bit version.

That's all that (I think) I know for now.  Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply