FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Video Editing System Builders

Post Date: 2020-12-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kmdeco creatives View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kmdeco creatives Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Video Editing System Builders
    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:08pm
Budget:
4,500 or less

My current editing machine:
Razer Blade 15 2018 model
i7-8750 - GTX 1070 Max Q - 32gb ram

Expectations:
Need to edit in real-time 4k-6k footage on 720-1080p sequence timelines on premier pro and after effects. No lag!

Usage:
Premier pro, after effects, photoshop, Lightroom,
Luminar

Special Needs:
I need a workstation that can edit flawlessly, in real-time this type of footage above. Tired of lag and having to pre-render changes as I go along.

First stab at configuration (over budget)
Velox - quatro 4000 - amd thread-ripper 24 cores

I would love this build I’ve created but it’s a bit over budget. Any other recommendations that would churn out my workflow flawlessly at a cheaper prince point/config?

Thanks!

Edited by Kmdeco creatives - 20 Dec 2020 at 9:25pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:39am
Okay, I'm a gamer only, but I do know my way around the Configurator.

Are you aware of the $400 discount you score by going past $4000? You didn't post your config #, but when I ran your specs, not adding anything else but a 500GB Firecuda NVMe SSD for Windows OS/Applications drive, I got $4939 in the Velox case; NET $ 4539. That's with the 24 core TR and the Quadro 4000; 64GB of RAM. Not much storage.

If you had put some more parts in there, you gain some budget room with a Slade case. I duped that set-up in a Slade for $4270 NET. You could sub a 2GB 960 EVO SSD for the HDD for $262, total $4532. Here is that config:

3662182     To see it, copy and paste to "Load Config" in upper right main page. Take $400 off.

It seems you're closer than you think, unless there are more parts you didn't mention that are essential. Be sure to get a Firecuda for the OS and apps. It's 5 times faster than the DS SATA M.2 for only $6 more!

Hope it helps.

Quote Kmdeco creatives Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Okay, I'm a gamer only, but I do know my way around the Configurator.

Are you aware of the $400 discount you score by going past $4000? You didn't post your config #, but when I ran your specs, not adding anything else but a 500GB Firecuda NVMe SSD for Windows OS/Applications drive, I got $4939 in the Velox case; NET $ 4539. That's with the 24 core TR and the Quadro 4000; 64GB of RAM. Not much storage.

If you had put some more parts in there, you gain some budget room with a Slade case. I duped that set-up in a Slade for $4270 NET. You could sub a 2GB 960 EVO SSD for the HDD for $262, total $4532. Here is that config:

3662182     To see it, copy and paste to "Load Config" in upper right main page. Take $400 off.

It seems you're closer than you think, unless there are more parts you didn't mention that are essential. Be sure to get a Firecuda for the OS and apps. It's 5 times faster than the DS SATA M.2 for only $6 more!

Hope it helps.

Thanks for these details! Good to know about the Firecuda drives, will absolutely include as I progress through config!

Here is the setup I had made previously: 3661577

My main concern now/what’s driving the costs are the processor and GPU config. Since my workload is video editing (mostly 4k-6k) and photo editing as described not sure what would perform better based on what i am used to getting with my current Razer Blade 15. Not being able to test drive a workflow in Premier Pro makes the decision all the more difficult for me since this will be my first high end editing rig.

Debating on AMD Ryzen 9 3950x or the 24 core Threadripper paired with either a Quadro 4000 or one of the GTX cards like the RTX 3080. Since can’t test drive I have no idea what the better way to go is for my purposes, Quadro or RTX.

Sounds like if I went with the Quadro 400 and Ryzen 9 3950x it would both bring the price point down and also crush what I’m
Currently running, Nvidia GTX 1070 Max Q with an i7-8750.

Just thinking out loud here!
Thanks for the help so far!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 4:18am
Well that config is $4752 after the $500 discount for over $5000. If you put it into a Slade, it would come to $4556. The Firecuda only adds $6.

I'm at the end of what little I know. I have no knowledge of workstation class video, but I do believe if you could eke out the Treadripper, it would change everything and probably be your pride for years.

You could consult Google for answers, but DS must have some staff that would be glad to hear all your concerns and have knowledge of your workload and what might work best.

I think you should e-mail    [email protected]   perhaps, to get the ball rolling. I'm confident they have a someone on staff who is expert in these matters. I'm also confident they will work with you within your budget to assemble the best solution to all your needs. They don't want to just sell you; they want you to be so pleased with the whole solution that you keep coming back and tell all your friends.

Remember, video will not stand still, and you can always upgrade that at a future point with cheaper AND better.
outon45th View Drop Down

Quote outon45th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 12:20pm
Video editor here. You'd certainly enjoy the luxury of all those cores on a Threadripper, but unless you're doing high end graphics or VFX work, it's probably overkill. I haven't received my DS rig yet, but here's what I just purchased for $3K (with discount):

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade Studio Workstation
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS ProART Z490-CREATOR 10G (Thunderbolt) (Z490) (Up to 2x PCI-E) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

If you prefer an AMD CPU, the 5950X looks nice and would run you +$500 for a similar setup. The only catch is you're looking at a bit of a wait for that chip...

Quote Kmdeco creatives Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 12:33pm

Well that config is $4752 after the $500 discount for over $5000. If you put it into a Slade, it would come to $4556. The Firecuda only adds $6.

I'm at the end of what little I know. I have no knowledge of workstation class video, but I do believe if you could eke out the Treadripper, it would change everything and probably be your pride for years.

You could consult Google for answers, but DS must have some staff that would be glad to hear all your concerns and have knowledge of your workload and what might work best.

I think you should e-mail    [email protected]   perhaps, to get the ball rolling. I'm confident they have a someone on staff who is expert in these matters. I'm also confident they will work with you within your budget to assemble the best solution to all your needs. They don't want to just sell you; they want you to be so pleased with the whole solution that you keep coming back and tell all your friends.

Remember, video will not stand still, and you can always upgrade that at a future point with cheaper AND better.

So far the Digital Storm team has been super helpful and thanks for all of the tidbits you’ve shared! That build I’ve created may be a bit overkill so I think I can come down from the TR class to the Ryzen 9 with a Quadro card and be rock solid!

One thing is for certain I want to go with DS based on their experience and customer service so far! Happy holidays!

Quote Kmdeco creatives Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by outon45th

Video editor here. You'd certainly enjoy the luxury of all those cores on a Threadripper, but unless you're doing high end graphics or VFX work, it's probably overkill. I haven't received my DS rig yet, but here's what I just purchased for $3K (with discount):

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade Studio Workstation
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS ProART Z490-CREATOR 10G (Thunderbolt) (Z490) (Up to 2x PCI-E) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

If you prefer an AMD CPU, the 5950X looks nice and would run you +$500 for a similar setup. The only catch is you're looking at a bit of a wait for that chip...

Great to have some input from a fellow video editor/creator! After more research I think you are right. My workflow is 90% in premier pro editing 4K-6K footage with a ton of essential graphics/overlays etc. I sometimes do some animation work with AE as well but seldom compared to the PP work and nothing crazy high end unless editing an existing AE template.

Since I’m coming from a Razer Blade GTX 1070 Max Q with an i7-8750h I think you are totally right, this DS build I'm generating will def be a dramatic upgrade for my work wether I go with the 5950X or a TR ... the 5950x with 16 cores compared to my current i7 with 6 will likely be MORE than enough for my workflow and bring the price down as well. Not sure if I’ll pair with the Quadro 4000 or an RTX, leading more towards the Quadro since I’m really not gaming at all on the machine aside from some occasional Sim City or Diablo lol.

Your workstation is a beast! I just wish we could test drive systems like cars before deciding lol. I def want to stay with an AMD CPU system, but do you think it’s better to pair the 5950x with a Quadro or similar RTX card like yours based on what I will be doing?
outon45th View Drop Down

Quote outon45th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 1:16pm
All of the bigger shows I work on rent machines for me. (For instance, the show I'm currently on sent me a maxed out Mac Pro trashcan.) This machine will be for the smaller projects and any projects of my own that I work on between the big shows. And while I've been a console gamer my whole life, I'd be lying if I said I didn't choose the 3080 with gaming in mind.

If this was purely a workstation, I'd probably have gone with a Xeon or the 5950X and a Quadro or Radeon GPU. The Quadros/Radeons are specifically designed for working with Adobe/AVID, so they're super reliable in that dept.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 4:21am
This is so great you got some real advice from a user I didn't even know we had here! I hope I didn't steer you too far off course. I thought DS could serve you well. All best wishes that you get the upgraded experience you hope for at the right price. Merry Christmas!   
outon45th View Drop Down

Quote outon45th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 8:28am

I hope I didn't steer you too far off course.

From what I saw, you didn't steer OP off course at all. A Threadripper would be the perfect CPU for longer effects-heavy projects. If OP is editing the 4K or 6K camera raw, they're likely editing shorter commercial or corporate spots-- I'd guess 15mins or less. Pairing a 5950X (or even a 3950X) with a high end Quadro or Radeon GPU hits the cost-to-performance sweet spot for that type of work.

Quote Kmdeco creatives Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:16am

All of the bigger shows I work on rent machines for me. (For instance, the show I'm currently on sent me a maxed out Mac Pro trashcan.) This machine will be for the smaller projects and any projects of my own that I work on between the big shows. And while I've been a console gamer my whole life, I'd be lying if I said I didn't choose the 3080 with gaming in mind.

If this was purely a workstation, I'd probably have gone with a Xeon or the 5950X and a Quadro or Radeon GPU. The Quadros/Radeons are specifically designed for working with Adobe/AVID, so they're super reliable in that dept.

Always good to sneak in a little game time to relax between edits hahaha!

I’ve always been an Nvidia guy so haven’t humored combining an AMD cpu and GPU.

Have had my eyes on the Quadro 4000 and AMD 5950x as the final decision here although VERY tempting to move up to the TR 3960x combined with the Quadro. This could be overkill though with more cost for what I actually need based on my work.

Based on your expertise as a fellow creator where do you think I should land GPU/CPU-wise? Again I’m editing 4k footage on 720 + 1080p timelines using Premier Pro with a ton of essential graphics/overlays. My sequences are setup with Pro-res 422hq so the render times are super fast on final exports because I use the preview cache rendered files...the real issue I hate and want this upgrade for is for a lag-free better live editing process. I hate making some edits then pre-rendering in chunks to see playback only to repeat a million times along the way. Also don’t want to use proxies. All the videos are 5 minutes or less for marketing firm and for my aerial photography business.

Let me know what you think? Thanks so much for the help! You rock! Happy Holidays!
outon45th View Drop Down

Quote outon45th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Kmdeco creatives

Have had my eyes on the Quadro 4000 and AMD 5950x as the final decision here although VERY tempting to move up to the TR 3960x combined with the Quadro. This could be overkill though with more cost for what I actually need based on my work.

Based on your expertise as a fellow creator where do you think I should land GPU/CPU-wise? Again I’m editing 4k footage on 720 + 1080p timelines using Premier Pro with a ton of essential graphics/overlays.

The thing is, Premiere won't make full use of a Threadripper. Here's a handy reference from Adobe:https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html#:~:text=Fast%20clock%20speed%20at%20least,98%25%20efficiency%20with%208%20cores

If you go with a 5950X (which I would if I was going AMD) there are likely other places to look for any bottlenecks. For instance, make sure you get a motherboard with USB-C inputs, 64 GB of RAM (128 GB if your budget can afford it), take advantage of a 4th gen NVMe for your boot drive, and go with the Quadro 4000. Something like this: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3670231https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3670231

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Quote Kmdeco creatives Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 2:01pm

Based on your expertise as a fellow creator where do you think I should land GPU/CPU-wise? Again I’m editing 4k footage on 720 + 1080p timelines using Premier Pro with a ton of essential graphics/overlays.

The thing is, Premiere won't make full use of a Threadripper. Here's a handy reference from Adobe:https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html#:~:text=Fast%20clock%20speed%20at%20least,98%25%20efficiency%20with%208%20cores

If you go with a 5950X (which I would if I was going AMD) there are likely other places to look for any bottlenecks. For instance, make sure you get a motherboard with USB-C inputs, 64 GB of RAM (128 GB if your budget can afford it), take advantage of a 4th gen NVMe for your boot drive, and go with the Quadro 4000. Something like this: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3670231https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3670231

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Wow! Had no idea that PP favored 8 cores etc. the TR would absolutely be overkill on PP and a waste of money for my needs, better to throw it at the other components you’ve listed in conjunction with the article recommendations.

My final question to you as someone with real world experience is why you personally did not go with an AMD chip in your rig? On paper the more cores/threads and cheaper price point seem the way to go for better editing performance. I’ve been an intel boy since the beginning of time so making this leap into AMD territory for my needs, and with such a larger investment, makes me a bit more nit-picky.

Thanks so much again, it’s great to speak with someone with real world similar workflow whom also is a fan of this company and their builds!
outon45th View Drop Down

Quote outon45th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 2:35pm

My final question to you as someone with real world experience is why you personally did not go with an AMD chip in your rig? On paper the more cores/threads and cheaper price point seem the way to go for better editing performance.

Well... I'm double booked in January-March, but I won't have this rental for the full length of time, so I'll need a workstation. Due to the short supply of 5950Xs right now, I went with the Intel CPU hoping that I'll get it in mid-to-late January. That's honestly the only reason: I literally can't wait or gamble on the availability of a 5950X. If you look at some of the other threads, people on here have been waiting many weeks...

This is actually my first DS purchase, but they came highly recommended from a good friend of mine who also works in the industry. I trust his recommendation. Good luck!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 3:41am
Once again, solid advice from someone who knows. Very pleased you got that.

Just one comment, just because I know the ropes here. If you wanted to go with outon45th's build, you might look at bumping up the storage or the RAM a bit. Reason being, so close to the $4000 mark, you could score another $100 discount to help pay for the extra upgrade. Just a thought.

Elsewhere, we have been told the supply of 5000 series CPU from AMD has been unexpectedly small, so you should probably ask DS when they might realistically expect to fill an order now for a 5950X. They might have a backlog that could overwhelm even a healthy supply in January.

All the best, and Merry Christmas!
 Post Reply Post Reply