Post Date: 2008-10-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lunchbox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vista 64 Bit Ultimate SLI Problem
    Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 12:36am
I just installed windows vista ultimate and when i go to my nvidia control panel there is no option to enable SLI!, i went to the device manager and it said that the second card lacked the resources needed or something, (Code 12) error, i have a Asus M2N4-SLI and i cant seem to get the CD to boot to install the drivers, it says cant load, and i cant find the drivers on the internet, no chopset drivers, or bios drivers!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:26am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:35am
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:51am
And if that still doesn't work here's an issue that occured with someone else who posted their story, about how SLI wouldn't detect, but when trying both cards alone, it would work.

"Both cards work fine on their own, but not together. So I yank some cards out of another PC, and try them. Alone, no problems, put the second one in, it gives the error.

So now I've ruled out the video cards as the problem. Great, this means it's probably the motherboard. Not to be entirely unexpected with the Asus Striker series. They're notorious for problems, and I know this going in. I got lucky with my 680i build a couple of years ago, but now I'm thinking I finally ran into a bad Striker.

So now I'm looking at an RMA for the mobo. I put the system back together and decide to run with just one video card, until the new mobo comes. I get the drivers installed, everything is good... then for sh*ts and giggles I decide to see what happens if I plug the second card in after the first is already all set up. Somehow during all of the troubleshooting, we hadn't though of that.

Sure enough, as soon as I boot the PC with the second card in, Vista recognizes the card, applies the drivers, and then offers me SLI. Apparently the system just freaked out when it saw two cards in there at once. But if you install one at a time, it's all good. It didn't occur to me right off the bat because my previous 3-4 SLI systems had no problems picking up both video cards at once. And it seems like something that somebody might have encountered before, I mean other people run this board, but in all my searching I never saw it suggested."

Edit: Wait.  Your mobo actually DETECTS the 2nd card then?  (So potentially this post was pointless then.) <-- for some reason can't un-italic my font.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 29 Oct 2008 at 2:54am
"People believe in people who believe in others."
Lunchbox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Lunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:44pm
I went to the asus website and downloaded the Bios that said it would fix the insufficient resources, and i extracted it and its a file called 1002.BIN, i double click it and it asks me what program i would like to use to open it, what do i do?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:47pm
that is for flashing your bios, you have to put that on a disk and boot off of the disk

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Oct 2008 at 2:47pm
Lunchbox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Lunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 10:44pm
im not quite sure what to download then =O
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 2:39am
I guess you are going to put the bin file on a disk
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2008 at 8:45am
You need to copy/burn the file to either a floppy or bootable CD/DVD.  When you boot off it, depending on the mobo, it will either automatically update, or bring up a program that will go through the update with you.
 Post Reply Post Reply