FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want Case With Cleanable Filters

Post Date: 2023-10-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NubbyShober View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Want Case With Cleanable Filters
    Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 3:45pm
Budget:
4,500+

Expectations:
Same as my new Velox: 7950X3D + RTX4070ti + 64GB RAM + 4 TB SSD

Usage:
heavily modded FPS/RPG gaming

Special Needs:
heavily modded gaming = 64GB RAM + 4 TB SSD

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
Velox: 7950X3D + RTX4070ti + 64GB RAM + 4 TB SSD

AND:

I want a Velox-sized case with detachable, cleanable fan air filters. Filters exactly like the one that protects all DS PSU's on the bottom of the case. It'd be great if there was also an attachable filter that could fit over the GPU intake port.
"Get out of it before you get into it"
-Frank Zappa
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 12:34pm
The Velox has front filters. They are held by 4 small screws in each corner of the front cover. You might have to remove side panels to get to them.

The gpu is inside the case. Adding a filter to it will probably cause big issues with temps and throttling. That air is cleaner than outside air.

Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 4:39pm
Thank you! Didn't know the front filter was detachable/cleanable.

But regarding GPU airflow, isn't the back panel of the unit its' main air intake point? This is where I was talking about as a location for installing a detachable filter: *outside* the case. Not inside the case. And certainly nothing attached to the GPU inside the case.

Back when I built my first gaming PC about 18 years ago, the back of the case where the GPU was installed was otherwise a solid wall, making air intake for the GPU through the intake port that much more important. And being a mid-size case, effectively cleaning the interior radiator baffles of the GPU was definitely a challenge. And on every subsequent gaming PC has remained an issue.

Subsequent builds--including my current Velox--have cases with vastly better design regarding airflow. It's also roomy and provides better access to the GPU But the issue of microparticulate dust accumulation inside case components remains.

For those of us without workshop-grade air compressors, taking our PC's into the shop periodically for a good cleaning is a necessity. My new Velox weighs about 60 pounds, which, at my age, and because of some physical injuries, is a real challenge to wrestle down the stairs to the shop.

I would like better dust filtering capabilities for my DS builds, to reduce--even greatly reduce--the intervals between shop visits. And I believe the best way to accomplish this is to filter air before it enters the case.
-Frank Zappa
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 5:23pm
I reread my post and it is not very clear. The small screws hold the front panel and the filter is behind it. You remove the front panel to get to the filter. You have to remove the side panels to get to the small screws.

You don't need an air compressor to clean the inside. There are electric blowers that work real well. You can look for them in Amazon.

You don't want to restrict the air flow too much with filters. It can lead to higher temps. Keeping the pc off the floor helps a lot in getting cleaner air.

Good luck.
Enjoy.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by hoserator

You don't need an air compressor to clean the inside. There are electric blowers that work real well. You can look for them in Amazon.

You don't want to restrict the air flow too much with filters. It can lead to higher temps. Keeping the pc off the floor helps a lot in getting cleaner air.

I agree with hoserator, definitely don't underestimate the impact that raising the tower can have on dust accumulation. Even just a small stand, I'm talking mere inches, can result in demonstrable reductions in dust accumulate for a case.

I've also had good results with the commercially available handheld "electric dusters" - far more cost effective and powerful than canned air.Strong

Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 7:56pm
Thanks to you both. Just ordered an "Electric Blower Duster"; hadn't known such a device existed. Guess I should get out more, and find out of these other newfangled inventions like "Banks" and "gas stations" are all that.

But I guess my next question is: what's a good benchmark to know when it's time to remove and clean the front filter?

My last 2 DS rigs died from MOBO failure just over 3 years into ownership; and both had began to overheat before their demise. Both were the top end options for their respective cases; the last one being an ASUS Rog Stryx. Dunno to what degree dust could've contributed. Or if it was just overuse.
-Frank Zappa
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 11:59am
I discovered a good trick a few years ago: Keep a high quality HEPA air filter running in your house. I have a few of them running all the time, and it's dramatically reduced the amount of dust in my house. I recently looked inside my Velox, and after 2 years it's almost perfectly clean inside.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Ghost554 View Drop Down

Quote Ghost554 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 1:35pm
do you have a recommendation for a stand?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 4:02pm
There are so many websites with furniture of all kinds, types, colors, materials, styles... that as long as it raises the pc ... up to you. I have mine (Aventum with 6 fans on the bottom)  about 18" off the ground and fans/rads stay clean.

I also have a Rabbit Air small whole room HEPA particulate filter which has helped a lot to keep the room relatively dust free.

Cleaning is easy if you do it regularly so dust does not build up hard.

Smile

Edited by hoserator - 08 Oct 2023 at 4:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply