FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

want my fears put to rest

Post Date: 2008-05-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
workingman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: want my fears put to rest
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:33pm

Howdy all..if anyone has been following my posts..I dont plan on purchasing my rig until after june when xp is no longer available (at least that is the current word from microsoft) I have purchased a full copy of xp ahead of time so I can install it on my hard drive when my dream machine finally arrives..but ...people have told me xp wont work with vista becase the computers have applications already in them that dont work with xp and a friend proceeded to tell me the problems he had with vista and decided to get rid of it and re install xp..(not on a ds system btw) and he said not to bother...I know at the present time you can get both systems on a ds rig...but was hoping that will be the case in the future....or should I cancel my xp copy while there still is time...Thanks. Workingman

Dog Lover View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:47pm
Last I heard, from reading many, many boards on the net, XP will stop shipping soon and MS will only be offering support until 2010, thats what, a year and a half? And then your on your own, with a format that all new games will forget quickly.

When I first got Vista, I hated it like a bastard.  It does take some getting used to.  GAMES ROCK in Vista, but it was buggy for everything else.  I had a few bugs going and later had to RMA my rig for a bad mobo.  Many of the issues I had (I was blaming Vista) were all the board.

Now that I have it back, I must admit (god, I hate eating crow) that Vista aint all that bad.  When DSO sent it back to me, they had SP1 for Vista loaded, as well. Now, so far it runs as good as XP Pro did for me.   Again, got to get used to a new operating system and its quirks, but it does preform well.

Anyway, my advise is to put XP behind you and make a baby step forward into Vista.  Again, I HATE change and hated to let go of XP, but, it is getting better.

Did I mention that for games it rocks?

Last bit of advice, Vista sucks memory.  Get as much as you can afford, future proof it.  Also, word from those in the know on these boards (people much more tech savy than I) say to go with 64 bit Vista unless you have non-game programs that you need to run.  I have 32 and am thinking about upgrading so that it will USE my 4 gigs of RAM.

Just my advice, my gamer friend.  And I am very critical. 
Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:32am
I appreciate your input...but i upgraded from xp to vista and I had more problems than I care to mention in this forum...put xp back on my system and all is well..I am a gamer....and I plan on putting vista 64 on my machine...but if I get the same problems as I did with the upgrade..I want to be able to switch to xp and just enjoy the game....thats why I'm buying the rig in the fist place...lol..Thanks again for the feedback...WorkingmanTongue
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 9:05am
the fact is that every OS goes over quite a rocky road before its running stable.. from what i gather, SP1 killed a huge majority of these problems. i was in the same boat as Dog when i was buying my rig, first it was XP only, then dual.. then just vista... and realistically i couldnt be happier with the choice of vista home premium. the cold hard facts are that if you take the time, you can tweak vista to run almost exactly like xp, it is essentially all of the good things from that OS with a lot of new bells and whistles.
its worth the swap, not to mention: xp and support for it is going to absolutely plummet as vista further succeeds, its just the better choice

edit, to answer your actual question: you can use both in dual boot, its like having 2 seperate computers in 1 machine, no association between the 2 OSs, vis-a-vis, no compatibility issues

Edited by !ender_ - 14 May 2008 at 9:12am
paintballakid5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote paintballakid5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 7:42pm
XP SP3 sucks.. it slowed down my current computer by alot! even after deleting it, it's still super slower than before.. which is why i'm going to buy my DS computer soon.. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply