FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WANTED: 3D VSION SURROUND GAMING PLATFORM

Post Date: 2011-06-28

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
roccoatwar View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WANTED: 3D VSION SURROUND GAMING PLATFORM
    Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:05am
Budget:
$4,500.00 to $6,000.00

My expectations are to create a supernatural gaming environment with both depth and peripheral vision. I would like to create a triple monitor 3D Vision Surround Gaming platform where I could play my games at very high resolutions near or close to 5760x1080. I would also like to play my games at or near the highest settings possible without issue, minus a few patches and drivers that may be needed IOT (in order to) play the games at its fullest potential.

I intend to use this rig only for gaming, and in particular, for BATTLEFIELD 3, which is to say, that this rig is for really just a handful of upcoming titles. This is not my primary computer so I will not be transferring any data, no movies or music, and I do not intend to download a lot of new data that is not related to the games I will be playing.

I am a fan of computers and gaming rigs, but I am by no means an expert like many of you who read and contribute to these forums. I am an officer in the Army, and I recently came back from another deployment, my third. While I was down range, during any downtime, I read a lot about gaming rigs and in particular a lot about Digital Storm. Most of my knowledge came from articles and forums like these, but I don't understand every thing. I certainly don't dig so deep into my research that I cannot tell you what the typical GB/sec small file loads of a SSD are

I know I need a SLI rig, probably a 3 SLI configuration of some sort. What I don't know is the following.

- Should I wait a little longer..Does NVIDIA plans on releasing any new advancements to their card lineup that may be a game changer prior to the release of Battlefield 3?

-Do I need the high end, high budget new chilling system from DS since I will have 3 GPUs?

-Do I need to over clock the processor so high that it would require the said LCS from DS?

-Is a i7 950 enough for gaming at high levels or do I need the new and more expensive i990X?

I look forward to all of your input.

Thanks.

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:32am
For your use you gonna need tri sli 580 3GB, 3D is like twice as demanding, and at 5760x1080, it could need lot of power.

you don't need lc, tho in this case lc will give much better temps.

ocing the processor depends on the cpu, the new cpus (2600K) oc much better then a 950 and also beat it in performance, however the 2600k goes on the p67 platform which is not great at all for tri sli.

with the 950 oc of 3.9GHz is enough and for that a good air cooler should do.

I would wait till the high end platform of SB comes out, its gonna be called x79, its gonna be what you want for tri sli, otherwise go with x58 platform, I would wait for teh x79, you will endup with better performance for your money, it shoudl be out q4 of this year.

Thank you for your service



Edited by DST4ME - 28 Jun 2011 at 11:33am
Back to Top
roccoatwar View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:37am
Thanks for the good info sir. When will these high end boards come out? Its a tough decision to wait if they won't be available prior to OCT 25th when BF3 comes out.

Again, thanks for the config advice and appreciate the salute!
Back to Top
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 244
  Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:47am
They are supposed to come out in the 4th quarter of this year, Oct - Dec. We don't know for sure, and I understand not wanting to wait, but If you can somehow grit your teeth and do it, I think it'll be well worth it. The difference between the x58 and x79 is going to be huge. I'd hate to see you spend that kind of money on older tech when the new stuff is right around the corner. If you must, you'll still have a beastly rig.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 12:24pm
Ya IM put it best:

I'd hate to see you spend that kind of money on older tech when the new stuff is right around the corner.


trust us, you will be glad you did, its simple, go forward to Dec of 2011, right now are you glad you waited and got your top of line, brand new tech system? or are you happy you didn't wait? and looking at what you could have had at with that amount of money does not bother you?

it really boils down the that, right now you can't wait, in Dec you gonna wish you had, so its up to you.

Of course there is always some new tech around teh corner and some argue that if you wait for one thing, then its the next and ect, however just in the cpu alone the difference is so big in oc/temps/vcore/performance, and its only like 3 to 5 months away that its worth the wait IMHO.

I could not spend that much money and then watch my friend spend the same amount 4 months later and get a lot better system, lol but thats just me.
Back to Top
roccoatwar View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 12:31pm
I am not up to speed yet on the new X79, but I definately will consider waiting after what you have said. More to follow on this, but thank you for the guidence.
And I agree about waiting and being glad that I did, vs buying now and only hating myself later. Its only a small amount of time between OCT 25 and the possible December release of the new x79 mobo.

I must do some more research on this though. Anyone else who is hot on the x79 topic, please chime in! I am sure other readers of this forum are interested in this tech as well.

Thanks DSTME and Invader Mig.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:57pm
You can read more about it here

Our pleasure and good luck

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask us.

Back to Top
Anglis View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 83
  Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 7:15pm
You don't really need 3 way sli for that res though.  Right now, dual GTX 580 3gb are performing quite well at that resolution, even with very high settings, that also includes some AA as well. It has to do with 2600k being able to be OC so well, which doesn't throttle those video cards, which can be OC as well.  
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 6:15am
Anglis he is is talking about doing 3D not regular gaming, for 3D you will need twice as much power as regular gaming.

for bf3 at that res even in regular gaming I think he might need tri sli, not sure till the game comes out.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Jun 2011 at 6:20am
Back to Top
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2247
  Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Anglis

You don't really need 3 way sli for that res though.  Right now, dual GTX 580 3gb are performing quite well at that resolution, even with very high settings, that also includes some AA as well. It has to do with 2600k being able to be OC so well, which doesn't throttle those video cards, which can be OC as well.

Anglis he wants to do 3D Vision Surround Gaming, that's 5760x1080 at 120Hz (three 1920x1080 monitors at 120 FPS). In particular he wants to play BF3 at that. I don't really think dual 580s would be up for that task, even if overclocked.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Back to Top
Anglis View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 83
  Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 9:50am
Well right now, the 3gb version is doing well with some games with 3D vision.  For BF3...in 3D with surround, that will even bring 3 GTX 580's to their knees haha.  3D gaming is still "beta" unfortunately for optimization.

I know Mafia II, NFS, Just Cause 2, Crysis 2 (not much of a performance hit with 3D on that one) can all be maxed out with two GTX 580's.  Now some games, yeah you won't max out haha.  You'll have to settle with no AA when 3D vision is enabled.  3 way sli will definitely be more safe proof though! Awesome
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 10:01am
You can max out some games at 1900 x 1200 in 3D like bf2 mafia and the others you mentioned, and get around 60 pfs with sli 580, but at at 3D surround, lol well thats a whole different story, in 2 years I imagine tri sli can handle that kind of a setup, and by that time hopefully 3D gaming is much better.

Can't wait for 3D monitors without classes, I think there is one tv model out or suppose to be out, and htc has the evo 3D phone coming out next month I think, so the glassless monitor/tvs should be around the corner.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Jun 2011 at 10:28am
Back to Top
Anglis View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 83
  Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 12:25pm
Yeah 3D tv without glasses will be awesome! I tried my friends setup, which is making me go 3D surround myself, and the glasses shockingly enough, didn't really dim the color as bad as I thought it would, especially with games made with 3D vision in mind.  I mean, most games work with 3D, but they weren't made with 3D in mind.

I will say, 3D in first person shooters is not recommended in multiplayer haha.  But some games are great! NFS, i mean in surround, you feel like you're in the pit of the car.  Oblivion looks great too.   Battle Field 2 was awesome. And probably the coolest was World of Warcraft.
Back to Top
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 244
  Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:16pm
Aside from a few movies that were fantastic in 3D, I don't partake in it even though I could. The gaming is cool in some cases, but the real benefit of the 3D monitors for me is the 120hz refresh rate, which is lost in 3D mode. I too am excited for the day 3D can be done effectively without glasses, but I don't imagine that will happen any time soon. I'm still waiting for someone to make a quality panel at 120hz.

Edited by Invader Mig - 29 Jun 2011 at 2:18pm
Back to Top
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1699
  Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:33pm
true pc game development in general has been put in the back seat since most companys are just porting over games to the pc. Nvidia and everyone else needs to find a gimmick to warrant all this extra power that current video cards offer. Me personally id stick to 3 monitor gaming if i had to choose, some games do this very well and some do it awful. Problem with all this is its at the drivers mercy so its quite possible some if not most of the games you want to play will be gimped for 3d/3 monitor gaming. I still think 3d is in its infancy as far as technology goes

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 29 Jun 2011 at 2:35pm
Back to Top
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor


Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16314
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:33pm
Playing 3D games at high resolutions needs three GTX 580's in Triple-SLI or two GTX 590's in QUAD-SLI.

Three GTX 580's are going to be faster than the two 590's in SLI.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:43pm
I'm going 3D as soon as:

A. I get 240hz refersh

B. don't need glasses

c. its works correctly for most stuff.
Back to Top
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 244
  Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

I'm going 3D as soon as:

A. I get 240hz refersh

B. don't need glasses

c. its works correctly for most stuff.


So basically when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, and the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

Edited by Invader Mig - 29 Jun 2011 at 3:27pm
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:50am
lol not exaclty, I think glassless is around a year or so away (wishful thinking), and I think in a year or so 3D will be much better, that leaves us with the 240hz refresh, lol hopefully that does not take sun rising from the west
Back to Top
roccoatwar View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:45am
DST4ME-

I totally agree about the monitors needing a refresh rate of "at least" 240hz.  I currently have a 480hz LED TV from LOEWE.  The technology is already there for standard TVs and Home Cinemas with 240hz common ground and 480hz at the high end, so, why aren't monitors at that level?
When do you think a 240hz monitor with 3D Vision capability will come to us, if ever? 

Have any of you guys read up on new monitors coming to market in the near future?

Please chime in.
Back to Top
roccoatwar View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:51am
As for the "no glasses 3D" I am with the understanding that 3D without glasses is definately coming soon, but the quality will not be as good as with glasses.  I have a very high Hi-Fi and home cinema setup here in our loft (3 deployments of no tax savings) and I have 3D.  I had the Eurpoean rep for JVC over for a party with other Hi-Fi dudes and we were talking about the advancements in 3D. 
He stated that the market wants no glasses tech, but the real high end customers will always remain with the "glasses" technology due to its better quality.

Better Quality?  What does that entail?  Several things...

-Better resolution
- Less Ghosting
- Better Depth

What do you guys feel about this and what is your research telling you?
Back to Top
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2247
  Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by roccoatwar

I totally agree about the monitors needing a refresh rate of "at least" 240hz.  I currently have a 480hz LED TV from LOEWE.  The technology is already there for standard TVs and Home Cinemas with 240hz common ground and 480hz at the high end, so, why aren't monitors at that level?

Aren't all/most 480hz TVs plasma? Or do they have LCDs listed at 480hz? There's really big differences between plasma specs and LCD specs. As far as I've read plasma has phenomenal response times, but somewhere along the line this has gotten twisted into being reported as extremely high refresh rates, which is not the same thing.

As far as I know 2560x1600@60Hz and 1920x1200@120Hz are pushing right up against the bandwidth limit of current DVI-D and HDMI cables, so these 240Hz or 480Hz TVs or monitors are pretty much flat out bullsh*t. All they do is take a 1920x1080@120Hz or 1280x720@240Hz signal and interpolate (double) it, it's not true 240Hz or 480Hz.

As for TVs versus monitors, TVs just plain don't have the crispness and color quality of monitors. TVs are meant to be viewed from across the room, where you don't need these things, monitors are viewed from 2 feet or less in front of your face and depend on the superior picture quality and accuracy. Whereas generally TVs are designed to excel at displaying moving images, needing low response times, blurring effects, and the like.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Back to Top
Anglis View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 83
  Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Originally posted by roccoatwar

I totally agree about the monitors needing a refresh rate of "at least" 240hz.  I currently have a 480hz LED TV from LOEWE.  The technology is already there for standard TVs and Home Cinemas with 240hz common ground and 480hz at the high end, so, why aren't monitors at that level?

Aren't all/most 480hz TVs plasma? Or do they have LCDs listed at 480hz? There's really big differences between plasma specs and LCD specs. As far as I've read plasma has phenomenal response times, but somewhere along the line this has gotten twisted into being reported as extremely high refresh rates, which is not the same thing.

As far as I know 2560x1600@60Hz and 1920x1200@120Hz are pushing right up against the bandwidth limit of current DVI-D and HDMI cables, so these 240Hz or 480Hz TVs or monitors are pretty much flat out bullsh*t. All they do is take a 1920x1080@120Hz or 1280x720@240Hz signal and interpolate (double) it, it's not true 240Hz or 480Hz.

As for TVs versus monitors, TVs just plain don't have the crispness and color quality of monitors. TVs are meant to be viewed from across the room, where you don't need these things, monitors are viewed from 2 feet or less in front of your face and depend on the superior picture quality and accuracy. Whereas generally TVs are designed to excel at displaying moving images, needing low response times, blurring effects, and the like.


This is true, there is no true 240hz TV's yet.  It's all a marketing gimmick, they are sli with their words! Oops
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:16am
IMHO by the time they get 3D right on stuff, the tvs/monitors will have true 240hz refresh and glassless will be just as good, but its gonna be while.

I honestly don't think there is one person here that would not want 3D if its done right (software/hardware/glassless), games or movies, if its done great, we want it .

(its got to be prices right also )

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Jul 2011 at 10:18am
Back to Top
roccoatwar View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:12am
Ok.  So...as for me att (at this time) with my preferences and price points (high budget-high expectations) do you think that BF3 will look good if not great in 3D Vision Surround with the following specs below.

-I wait for the new X79 SB-E Procs and Mobos

-3 way SLI rig

- good 120hz monitor

This game looks amazing, and I am willing to pay a boat load for a good perfoming rig that will allow me to play this games with my mates on 3 screens, sometimes in 3D.

I believe the current setups available today are not the best,....but good enough to enjoy a FPS like BF3 for a long time.

Your thoughts?
Medical Operations Officer
1-10th Special Forces
Special Operations Command EU
Stuttgart, Germany
Back to Top
lukexcom View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
  Quote lukexcom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 12:03pm
While in the past I would echo DST4ME's sentiments about waiting for a better 3D solution, I recently broke down and got the Acer 27" HN274H 3D monitor, and plugged it into my also-newly-arrived ODE-3 (I have to get around to reviewing it sometime soon). And I have to say, The Witcher 2 in 3D is just simply stunning! Once I'm done with it, I'll take Mafia 2 for a 3D spin. I'm definitely not regretting my 3D purchase.

FYI, supposedly as of the last two days, Nvidia's Kepler GPUs (GeForce 6xx) prototypes have just taped out from the TSMC factory, and they appear to be "working well". They're built on TSMC's 28nm process node, versus the 40nm node of existing GPUs. There may be some nice performance gains in store for those cards, and for AMD's Southern Islands (Radeon 7xxx) series as well.

If TSMC can get their 28nm production line stable, then optimistically we'll see the new generation of cards out by the very end of Q4 2011, right along side of the SB-E. Pessimistically I'm thinking we'll probably see Kepler and Southern Islands out by early Q1 2012, which is still good timing, as this means there's a new CPU series and a new GPU series being released at around the same timeframe.

So in your case, roccoatwar, if you're waiting until December/January for the SB-E, it might be a good idea to wait to January/Feburary for SB-E and 3x Nvidia Keplers. That gives you a powerful new CPU matched with a very powerful new set of GPUs. So you may want to consider waiting for:

-X79 SB-E CPU and board
-3-way SLI Nvidia Kepler GPUs
-good 120Hz 3D monitors (personally I'm very happy with my 27" Acer HN274H)

Optimistically, there maybe little to no wait for the GPUs to come out at all from when SNB-E becomes available. Pessimistically there might be a month or two of extra waiting.



Edited by lukexcom - 01 Jul 2011 at 12:04pm
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by roccoatwar

Ok.  So...as for me att (at this time) with my preferences and price points (high budget-high expectations) do you think that BF3 will look good if not great in 3D Vision Surround with the following specs below.-I wait for the new X79 SB-E Procs and Mobos-3 way SLI rig- good 120hz monitorThis game looks amazing, and I am willing to pay a boat load for a good perfoming rig that will allow me to play this games with my mates on 3 screens, sometimes in 3D.I believe the current setups available today are not the best,....but good enough to enjoy a FPS like BF3 for a long time.Your thoughts?



for one monitor your experience is gonna be great, for 3 monitors on 3d, thats gonna be a different story to be honest, there is not enough gpu power to run 3 monitors in 3D and have all high settings and etc, but tri sli 580 3GB is gonna be as close to it as you can get right now.

3 monitors and no 3D tri sli 580 is gonna do very very good.

Once you have a good foundation, mobo/cpu/psu, you can upgrade gpus to have great performance as the years go on.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Jul 2011 at 1:15pm
Back to Top
Anglis View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 83
  Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 1:35pm
With 3 monitors and 3D, like DST said, you will have to drop settings for some games.

I know WoW can be maxed completely on 3D surround, running capped at 60fps.
NFS as well, but games like Metro, Crysis 2, Just Cause 2, if you maxed everything out which means AA, even with 3 cards, you would probably struggle to get 30FPS and Metro..maybe 15 haha. 
Back to Top
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1699
  Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal


Originally posted by roccoatwar

I totally agree about the monitors needing a refresh rate of "at least" 240hz.  I currently have a 480hz LED TV from LOEWE.  The technology is already there for standard TVs and Home Cinemas with 240hz common ground and 480hz at the high end, so, why aren't monitors at that level?
Aren't all/most 480hz TVs plasma? Or do they have LCDs listed at 480hz? There's really big differences between plasma specs and LCD specs. As far as I've read plasma has phenomenal response times, but somewhere along the line this has gotten twisted into being reported as extremely high refresh rates, which is not the same thing.As far as I know 2560x1600@60Hz and 1920x1200@120Hz are pushing right up against the bandwidth limit of current DVI-D and HDMI cables, so these 240Hz or 480Hz TVs or monitors are pretty much flat out bullsh*t. All they do is take a 1920x1080@120Hz or 1280x720@240Hz signal and interpolate (double) it, it's not true 240Hz or 480Hz.As for TVs versus monitors, TVs just plain don't have the crispness and color quality of monitors. TVs are meant to be viewed from across the room, where you don't need these things, monitors are viewed from 2 feet or less in front of your face and depend on the superior picture quality and accuracy. Whereas generally TVs are designed to excel at displaying moving images, needing low response times, blurring effects, and the like.

best post here +111111111111111111111
Back to Top
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 244
  Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal


Originally posted by roccoatwar

I totally agree about the monitors needing a refresh rate of "at least" 240hz.  I currently have a 480hz LED TV from LOEWE.  The technology is already there for standard TVs and Home Cinemas with 240hz common ground and 480hz at the high end, so, why aren't monitors at that level?
Aren't all/most 480hz TVs plasma? Or do they have LCDs listed at 480hz? There's really big differences between plasma specs and LCD specs. As far as I've read plasma has phenomenal response times, but somewhere along the line this has gotten twisted into being reported as extremely high refresh rates, which is not the same thing.As far as I know 2560x1600@60Hz and 1920x1200@120Hz are pushing right up against the bandwidth limit of current DVI-D and HDMI cables, so these 240Hz or 480Hz TVs or monitors are pretty much flat out bullsh*t. All they do is take a 1920x1080@120Hz or 1280x720@240Hz signal and interpolate (double) it, it's not true 240Hz or 480Hz.As for TVs versus monitors, TVs just plain don't have the crispness and color quality of monitors. TVs are meant to be viewed from across the room, where you don't need these things, monitors are viewed from 2 feet or less in front of your face and depend on the superior picture quality and accuracy. Whereas generally TVs are designed to excel at displaying moving images, needing low response times, blurring effects, and the like.


I was under the impression that HDMI couldn't do 1920x1080 @120hz. That's why when you do 3D on a PS3, the res gets bumped down to 720p. I was talking to a friend and doing a little research, and from what I've gathered there is no such thing as a true 120hz TV at all. Unless there's some TV out there with Dual Link dvi or display port, as those are the only ports capable of carrying such a signal as far as I know. The way 3D tv's do 3D is with that checkerboard thing, or 1080p at @24hz (Bluray). Even the new 3D Samsung TV/Monitor displays run at 60hz. Only the regular monitors in that line do true 120hz in 2D.

Ok, so a bit of a correction. Apparently HDMI cables are capable of carrying that bandwidth, but there is no hardware that actually accepts 120hz signals via HDMI, which makes no sense at all to me. Blurays are at 24p, and TVs/Monitors only accept either 24p or 60p from HDMI. I read somewhere it has something to do with the HDMI chipsets not supporting it. Not even sure if that's the right terminology to use in this case. Still, the wire itself can carry the signal, but no hardware can accept a 120hz signal via HDMI.

Edited by Invader Mig - 01 Jul 2011 at 5:02pm
Back to Top
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2247
  Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Invader Mig

I was under the impression that HDMI couldn't do 1920x1080 @120hz. That's why when you do 3D on a PS3, the res gets bumped down to 720p. I was talking to a friend and doing a little research, and from what I've gathered there is no such thing as a true 120hz TV at all. Unless there's some TV out there with Dual Link dvi or display port, as those are the only ports capable of carrying such a signal as far as I know. The way 3D tv's do 3D is with that checkerboard thing, or 1080p at @24hz (Bluray). Even the new 3D Samsung TV/Monitor displays run at 60hz. Only the regular monitors in that line do true 120hz in 2D.

Ok, so a bit of a correction. Apparently HDMI cables are capable of carrying that bandwidth, but there is no hardware that actually accepts 120hz signals via HDMI, which makes no sense at all to me. Blurays are at 24p, and TVs/Monitors only accept either 24p or 60p from HDMI. I read somewhere it has something to do with the HDMI chipsets not supporting it. Not even sure if that's the right terminology to use in this case. Still, the wire itself can carry the signal, but no hardware can accept a 120hz signal via HDMI.

Interesting, a bit of research and I read the same thing, that there is no such thing as an actual 120Hz TV yet. For 3D TVs you are limited to either 1280x720@60Hz or 1920x1080@24Hz, and the only way to see 2D at 120Hz is an actual 120Hz PC monitor (which, via glasses and software like Nvidia has you can break that intro 3D at 1920x1080@60Hz). So that means these "240Hz" and "480Hz" TVs must really just interpolate the baby Jesus Christ out of any signal you feed them, and/or just pointlessly display the same frame 20 god damn times. Smile

This amusing night of research has reminded me of a few things:
1) There is no spoon.
2) TV manufacturers lie even more than motherboard manufacturers, if such a thing is even possible.
3) If you're going to plop down a grand or more on a TV you had better do some careful god damned research into what you think you are buying, because chances are all that it's all a bunch of bullsh*t and your $5000 penis enlarging TV isn't any better than a significantly cheaper sanely priced one.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Back to Top
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 244
  Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:03pm
A couple weeks back I tried explaining to my friend that his shiny new 120hz LCD LED tv wasn't really 120hz, and at the end of it all, I kinda felt like a jerk for raining on his parade. Everyone in the room was just listening to me prattle on about interpolation and these fake padded refresh rate numbers and by the end of it, they all seemed to have lost faith in the world. I'll doubt they'll remember most of what I said, but I just imagine them going to a Best Buy and yelling, "LIAR!!!! this TV is only 60hz, they all are, my friend told me so." Then they break out into a dance yelling Shenanigans!!

The funny thing about it is, that when TV's actually do 120hz, it should be a big deal, but your average person will think nothing of it because 600hz plasmas have been on the market for a while now.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.1103516 seconds.