FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well How did i do???

Post Date: 2019-12-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PNW_GUY View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PNW_GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Well How did i do???
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:59pm
I just put in an order for a new Gaming Desktop for my son.

I was just wondering how did i do on my config

# 2754443
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 11:22pm
Welcome to the forum PNW_GUY!

I can make a few suggestions and you can decide if you change anything. DS is easy to work with on any changes. As proposed, the build would generally game pretty well as is, but we are here to help people get the best possible build based on our experiences with our own DS rigs....In my case I have had 4 DS rigs since 2011 and they all still serve 24/7 and still impress. You are going to get your son a top quality custom built and fully stress tested DS PC that he should be able to keep and upgrade in future for a long build lifespan...

What resolution monitor will he game at?
If 1080P, the RTX 2070 Super GPU is the best all around midrange GPU choice.   If going 2K/1440P resolution the RTX 2070 Super will deliver adequate performance, the RTX 2080 Super would be stronger at 2K/1440P at high settings and could manage 4K & VR pretty well.   
If you change to a RTX 2080 Super, you will need to boost the PSU to a higher wattage model..

CPU...The I9-9900K 8-core 16-thread is the top dog in gaming, but the other top CPU is the slightly less expensive I7-9700K 8-core 8-thread. In gaming they are very close in performance, and both can be fully Overclocked to Stage 2 with sufficient Stage 2 cooling. The extra threads don't do much for gaming, but can be important in certain uses with encoding work or video and photo content creation.

Cooler....Suggest a change to the better performance Corsair H100i 240mm or Corsair H115i 280mm coolers with longer 5 yr warranties. The DS components will only carry a 1 yr warranty.

Drive 1...You should change to a Samsung EVO Pro 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD.   The DS SSD is a normal SATA III speed drive, while NVME SSD are 5X faster as they utilize the same speedy PCIE bus that video cards use. The excellent Asus ROG Z390-H Strix ATX motherboard has 2x M.2 NVME SSD ports.

PSU....The Sale priced Corsair RM850X 850W Modular Gold Efficiency unit has a longer Corsair 5 yr warranty and would allow for stronger GPU upgrades now or in future. Would work with the RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080 Super or higher. The stock DS PSU is not modular, so it's cables are all hard wired. Corsair modular PSU have cable plugs and that way you only use the power cables needed with your build for less cable clutter and easy cable additions later.

Case Fans....Better would be the Corsair LL Series RGB fan kit. It comes with one Corsair Fan Expert Pro control module that allows synchronization of all Corsair RGB equipped components in use like RGB RAM, Fans, CPU coolers, and using Corsairs iCUE software can control fans and endless RGB color designs. iCUE software also syncs with any Corsair RGB equipped peripherals like keyboards and mouse.   Corsair LL fans have a 2 yr Corsair warranty, while the DS RGB fans only carry a 1 yr warranty. Case fans and airflow are the first line of component defense.

On air cooling alone, we usually do not recommend Overclocking the GPU. Not enough benefit in exchange for extra GPU heat and risk.

See what you think of all this...lol... As I said, any changes can be made by contacting DS and discussing what, if anything, you wish adjusted. Sooner the better of course.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 05 Dec 2019 at 11:54pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:23am
Mostly very sound advice. The GPU conclusions are simply not correct unless you are hell-bent to get the highest framerates at each monitor resolution only at the highest settings for EVERY game.

The RTX 2070 SUPER at 1080p is $154 more than the universally accepted price to performance champ at that res, the 2060 SUPER. You are perfectly welcome to spend that extra if your desire is 10-15 more frames per second above the well over 100 fps average across all games on highest settings. It's about a 33% bump for 12% performance.

The same applies to the next higher res, 1440p. The price/performance champ is the 2070 SUPER. It also averages around 100 frames per second across all games at highest settings, which is far better than "adequate". You are welcome to spend an extra $293, (nearly 50%) for the 15% performance bump of a 2080 S if you wish.

Remember these are averages. Games are not uniform in how they perform for you on any GPU. There is a scant handful that stretches the envelope, and there are a few that are just poorly coded for good performance on lesser gear. So no card will ALWAYS give you sterling performance on everything you could play. But the vast majority of all games and the most popular ones played right now make modest demands on video so they will sell to the largest audience.

What you do if you run into one of the few "demanding" titles is simply dial back the settings. There is no shame in playing on "High" instead of "Ultra". Unless you have two monitors side by side, you would never be able to see any difference, and then it's not obvious.

Please don't take my word for it. Every review I have seen for each of these cards caution that there are severely diminishing returns per dollar that are simply hard to perceive with normal human eyesight. It's just a fact. The cards I'm recommending are way more than minimum. Most reviewers are very enthusiastic about the 1660 Ti for 1080p. Here, I agree with my friend that a typical DS buyer with room in his budget will be happier long term with the newer RTX tech.

I don't know if this concerns you in the least, but you're not the only one who will see my screed. The 2070 S IS NOT the best all-around choice for 1080p , and it's NOT merely "adequate" for 1440p.

Just about everything else my friend says is very sound advice.
PNW_GUY View Drop Down

Quote PNW_GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 7:02am
Thanks for the advice....

He will be using a Dell 27” LED QHD G-SYNC Monitor. (S2716DGR)
PNW_GUY View Drop Down

Quote PNW_GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:31pm
**UPDATED**

NEW CONFIG # 2763922
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:40am
You improved your build, and got it to just over that $3K mark for the DS Sale $300 off... !   Well done!   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:52am
+1         
 Post Reply Post Reply