FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your average water-cooled CPU temps?

Post Date: 2021-06-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slick_the_Bandit View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slick_the_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What are your average water-cooled CPU temps?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 8:49am
Anyone here with a water-cooled Bolt X like me? What temps are running?

But regardless if you have a Bolt X or not, what success have you guys had in running under 80˚C? My Bolt X runs hot at around 85˚-86˚ under load.

I definitely feel like something is wrong. I get system reboots with demanding games like Cyberpunk.
Stage 1: 1/8/21 | Stage 2: 2/23/21 | Stage 3: 2/25/21 | Stage 4: 2/26/2021 | Stage 5: 3/9/2021 | Stage 6: 3/9/2021 | Stage 7: 3/10/2021 | Shipped: 3/10/2021 | Arrived: 3/11/2021
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 12:12am
Well I've had LC(Tygon tubing) on my system for ten years. My temps are still in the 40-50C and that's with Cyberpunk.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 4:01pm
I have never seen anything above 50C on mine but it is not a Bolt.
You should contact DS about it. You are supposed to be able to use it with no worries. I have read that in the past they had a special acrylic window with holes for the Bolt for additional airflow. Maybe you need one.

Quote Slick_the_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by hoserator

I have never seen anything above 50C on mine but it is not a Bolt.
You should contact DS about it. You are supposed to be able to use it with no worries. I have read that in the past they had a special acrylic window with holes for the Bolt for additional airflow. Maybe you need one.

I have one, and the temps are the same :(

It helped my GPU, though.
Stage 1: 1/8/21 | Stage 2: 2/23/21 | Stage 3: 2/25/21 | Stage 4: 2/26/2021 | Stage 5: 3/9/2021 | Stage 6: 3/9/2021 | Stage 7: 3/10/2021 | Shipped: 3/10/2021 | Arrived: 3/11/2021
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 7:06pm
Among the variables, radiator performance will depend upon where it is mounted. For example, top mounted is typically configured as exhaust. Such a configuration is good for inner case temps, however, because the inner case temps are what's being fed to the radiator, it won't cool as well. In contrast, a front mounted rad set as intake will get ambient temperature air, which should cool better, but does push the heated air into the case (causing thermal struggles for other components). Basically, it's a compromise either way. The decision is about selecting which compromise is less problematic for your system's other components and usage.

The following probably won't be of much help or perhaps any insight, though I'll lay it out just in case.

Intel 11700K CPU with front mounted Corsair iCue H150i
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Slick_the_Bandit

It helped my GPU, though.

No doubt. My GPU temps drop about 5 C when the window is off. So, not a ton but more than error threshold.

I think, the problem with the regular side panels, tempered glass or otherwise, is the GPU's exhaust is deflected both above and below the card. If the card directed the fan exhaust just a little towards the backplate (upwards in most cases) it would make that difference because the card wouldn't be recycling its own air and pull in only that supplied by the front intake -- at least on my config anyway.
GreenTeaRex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 11:29am
I have a Lumos with the AIO watercooler and I never got anything about 55c. Are you sure you're not talking about GPU temps? Because it sounds more normal for GPU's.

Edited by GreenTeaRex - 10 Jul 2021 at 11:30am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:28am
He has the small form factor Bolt which has most recently been running hotter than usual because of higher power draws by the newest parts, IMHO. There have been a handful of high temp issues just the last 3-4 months. It's very tight quarters in there.

Your temps are just what I would expect for an AOI Lumos.
GreenTeaRex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Cretae

He has the small form factor Bolt which has most recently been running hotter than usual because of higher power draws by the newest parts, IMHO. There have been a handful of high temp issues just the last 3-4 months. It's very tight quarters in there.

Your temps are just what I would expect for an AOI Lumos.

Ah I see.

Sorry to sound so ignorant. That's an unfortunate trade off and I hope they can fix that issue.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:06am
Not ignorant at all.

They have a plexiglass side panel with some holes cut in it to help it breathe better when necessary, and had some success with that. Like I said, there have been only a handful of folks report issues, so I hope it's situational. I do hope they get it sorted out, because they have been very proud of their custom compact design for several years.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:18am
From the images it looks like that air intakes are in the bottom of the case and you have to be careful where you place it and around the I/O plate which is next to the mobo internal cooler so it gets warm going in. Not too much space for fans.

Quote Slick_the_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm
So, I've come back with lots of homework done.

Since I last made this post, I've followed some tutorials and have undervolted my 5800X CPU with great success. I now run 72C peak in most cases, including CineBench or 3D Mark. Unless there is a specific core in there overheating on its own (which might not even make sense, I'm still learning), then I think it's safe to say that it's not my CPU causing game reboots.

Today I learned for a fact that it's not my GPU. I had my own 5700XT that I put in there after I spec'd my Bolt X from DS. It was already a year old at that point and was a possible defective unit. So today, I bought and installed a 3070ti using DDU/Safe Mode.

NO LUCK.

I lasted about 14 minutes in Cyberpunk before the system reboot again. As I type this, I'n performing a "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool" test to possibly rule out my RAM.

I'm starting to run out of options at this point...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:13am
Send an e-mail to

[email protected]

and see what he thinks.
 Post Reply Post Reply