FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your opinion on curved monitor screen?

Post Date: 2022-10-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
millismith View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote millismith Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What are your opinion on curved monitor screen?
    Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 12:16am
I don’t know really anything about curved monitors for gaming and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Better, worse, or generally the same as flat screen gaming? Or personal preference?

I prefer Lenovo Brand Personally:https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/d/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/curved-monitors/

Edited by millismith - 19 Oct 2022 at 11:23pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 5:45am
Here's a pretty good article that explains all the pros and cons:

https://raiseyourskillz.com/do-pro-gamers-use-curved-monitors/

I found the information about games being stretched to allow for a 21:9 aspect to be of interest depending on the games you play.    
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:36am
I've had ultrawide curved monitors for several years, and I love them! The curve feels a little strange for about a day, and then you get used to it. I think it's great for both gaming and office work. I've played about 20 different games on ultrawide monitors, and so far I haven't run into a game that can't handle the aspect ratio. If you do happen to play a game that's not compatible, then you can always select a less-wide aspect ratio in the game settings.

The curve on all of my monitors is pretty subtle. Right now I have the LG 38GL950G, and it has a 2300R curve. I personally would recommend a curve radius similar to that. There are other monitors with much more aggressive curves, like the Samsung Odyssey G9, which has a 1000R curve. I haven't used that one personally, but if you're concerned about the curve being annoying, then you might want to stay way from those aggressively curved models.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 12:40pm
I have been playing on a 34" curved monitor for quite some time. Love it!

I have yet to run in to a game that will not support the resolution of my monitor. I am sure there are some out there, but my guess is that they are probably older games.

Game developers since a few years ago, started developing their games to support the wide screen monitors as that is what consumers were buying.

The curve gives you a feeling that you are more enveloped by the game. Like JamesAstro, my monitor curve is subtle, not drastic like some you can get.

Old Gamers Never Die!
Worldwar1sniper View Drop Down

Quote Worldwar1sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:13am
i never used a curved monitor but from friends some like them and some have them i also want to know if a curved monitor is better than flat screen
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:22am
Better? No. Both curved and flat are either made high quality down to poor quality. The ONLY difference is in size, resolution and refresh rate between all of them and IF you want to feel more enveloped by the game, if so, you would want a curved monitor.

To help you decide, I would suggest researching via Google and YT. So many choices out there.
Old Gamers Never Die!
 Post Reply Post Reply