FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you guys think?

Post Date: 2009-05-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
[GMC]Blackdog View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote [GMC]Blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What do you guys think?
    Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:40am
Hi there everyone, just curious on what everyone would think about this setup, i have no hard drive selected because im going to get 4 74 GB 10,000rpm Raptors off of new egg and i already have Vista premium 64bit. Please give your thoughts, cheers Ouch

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: - No Thanks
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU & Three Video Cards
Liquid Color:Blue: Non-conductive High-Performance Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 Cooling Package)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: NVIDIA Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) System (Install, Test, Optimize Computer)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS:None
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Edited by [GMC]Blackdog - 19 May 2009 at 11:41am
Joshua View Drop Down

Quote Joshua Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 12:23pm
Looks fine to me, but it all depends on what resolutions your going to play on. If your going to play on 1920x1200 or higher than your setup is just fine. Anything less than I would get a lower tier graphic card setup since the one you have would be overkill for lower resolutions.

As far as I'm aware of memory overclocking doesn't give a noticeable performance boost, so I would save my money and not get it. The GPU oc is really up to you, your video card setup will easily handle anything out now and for some time to come. The extra performance you would get out of the overclock probably wouldn't be worth the extra heat, and I heard overclocking the graphic cards can interfiere with the processor overclock. DST4ME will correct me if I'm wrong.

Since your going totally high end here I would recommend SSD drives. Raptors are nice, but SSDs will rape them pretty hard when it comes to read/right speeds.

Edited by Joshua - 19 May 2009 at 12:25pm
B@d//j0ke View Drop Down

Quote B@d//j0ke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:53pm
A few changes.

1.Dont OC the Grphics cards or the RAM. RAM these days does not need ANY OCing, And you wont see alot of benafits from OCing the GPU, and its so easy to do yourself that if you feel you need to later you can ask anyone on here and they can walk you through it.

2.don't get the 2GB 285s there not really any faster, and are NOT worth the extra cash.

3. The frostbite LC is certenly the best option, but don't get it for the GPU's Only get it hooked up to the prosseser, GPU LCing is kinda gimiky, and I hear is alot more hassle then just LCing the CPU.

Now, what kind of things are will you be using it for? and what is your ressolution?

Edited by B@d//j0ke - 19 May 2009 at 4:03pm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:17pm
Liquid cooling the graphics cards is far from gimiky. Nvidia 200 series run very hot! Yes there are some drawbacks, (extra cost, longer downtime if GPU problem occurs) but if you want speed, and quiet, liquid cooling the graphics cards is a great way to go. Remove the noise, cut the temps in 1/2... seems very far from the gimiky squirel fan stock setup.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 8:48pm
@[GMC]Blackdog I would drop the LC on gpu, it can hinder your upgrades and if anything goese wrong with gpu you have to send it in.

what is your resolution and what is your ticket number? what are you going to do with 4 raptors? sounds like a waste of money.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:18pm
I agree with the downtime, if a gpu problem arises, but how could LC the GPU(s) hinder upgrades? just curious?
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:45pm
easily everytime you want to upgrade your gpu you need a diffrent block.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:51pm
so? how does that hinder? lol. plus you can order a GPU with a block allready on it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:29pm
Thats if you know how to work the block and the LC system, as I always say, if you don't know how to do that, stay away from LC on GPU, if you know how to change the water block then if things go wrong you don't have to send it in either, you can fix it yourself, but if you don't then it can be hell.

When we help people config, we have to remember, the system is not being designed for us, its being designed for them.

When I config a system for somebody, I pick the parts based on what I would buy if I was them but I also keep in mind their knowledge and what they would do if things go wrong or if its time for an upgrade. I mean if justing asked us for what we think on LC on his GPU, I'm sure we would all tell him that for him its a great idea, if he does not mind paying for a water block every upgrade, but thats because Justin knows how to take care of business if things go wrong.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 May 2009 at 10:32pm

Quote [GMC]Blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 11:10am

Okay so i have a 22 in monitor at first but hopefully will get a 30 in on to play at 2560x1600, my dream is to beable to run Crysis and Crysis Warhammer at that res wit AA on to something(currently i cant play with it on at all) and i want decent fps. So that why i opted for the 2 GB version since thats more ram and this game take a crap ton of ram.

And about the LC, even Digital storm recommends not LC my GPUs, but i really dont want bad temps cuz like justin said, the 200 serise run very hot. So i there a better way to keep my temps down other than turning the stock fan up to 100%?

And i will change it so i dont OC the RAM and GPUs. your are right, it is easy to do it yourself, and i didnt kno about the RAM

This is my new ticket number 285094
 and about the raptors, i currently have two 160 GB HD in RAID0 and i love it, But HD are kinda over priced here so i went to newegg and i can get 4 74 GB Raptors for 320 bucks. i want to put all 4 in RAID 0 and then get like a 500 GB or a TB for random storage later off the newegg newsletter prolly

Edited by [GMC]Blackdog - 20 May 2009 at 11:34am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 1:58pm
The graphics cards do run hot, but also they were designed to take the heat.
74 gig raptors are slow by todays standards, a WD 640 black will beat them. For $320 you can get a fast ssd, or a pair of velociraptors

Quote [GMC]Blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 3:08pm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136033
these 74 gb raptors are at 10,000rpm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 3:26pm
yes, but they are old school, outdated. lol  depending on how you raid them, but on a ICHR10, 3 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319 short stroked will be faster than the 4 raptors.

a pair of these, short stroked will be faster yet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296

the 300 gig versions are slightly faster than the 150's.

but still far behind a top SSD.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:22pm
the gpus do run run warm yes but they have fans to cool them down, how do you think everybody else without LC on gpu is running their cards? your fans will take care of the heat.

I dont' agree with your HDD setup at all but I will leave that alone.

change your mobo to classified.

Quote [GMC]Blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2009 at 11:05pm
well i kno they have fans, i just didnt kno if they held up well with OC
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2009 at 2:02am
well the OC on CPU is taken care of by the LC system.

the GPUs don't need to be oced, and all that extra heat for a few fps that don't' matter to begin with is really not gonna help, so don't OC the GPUs, and you should be OK, if not, then your system will not pass DS's test.
 Post Reply Post Reply