FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think?

Post Date: 2021-07-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kandwar View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What do you think?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 12:22pm
Hi, I am putting together a custom gaming system for the first time. I would like to know if you think this is good and if there are any tweeks that you might suggest without a significant increase in cost. As far as storage goes, I am moving my other drives from my current computer to this new one and don't need to buy additional storage. Thanks ahead of time!
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10920X (12-Core) (Boost Up to 4.6 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 PRO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready) (BACKORDER AUGUST)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO:
Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System Airflow Control:
Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 2:49pm
I have two questions to start the suggestion discussion.

• Is this rig going to be used for anything beyond gaming (e.g., video creation/editing, audio creation/editing, live streaming)?

• Is one of your current drives an NVMe (PCIe 3 or PCIe 4) SSD?
-- You'll want an NVMe drive for the OS at a minimum. Using a SATA drive for the main drive nowadays will unnecessarily/unreasonably limit the other components.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:15pm
I think that unless you have a need for a case that size(it is one heavy SOB) and the extra RAM headroom provided by the X299 chipset(256 Gb max), you're throwing a lot of money away; especially if its going to be for gaming and you only have a 3060Ti selected in light of your other selected components.
If this system is just going to be used for gaming, you would be better off going with a cheaper X570 or Z590 system(128 Gb RAM max) with a Velox case and putting more of the money into a RTX 3070 or maybe even a 3080 depending on what resolution you game at & what kind of games you're playing.
I couldn't help but notice you have a sound card selected, so I can only assume you have more in mind than just gaming for this system since most motherboards already have decent on-board audio.

Is your cooling selection for aesthetics or do you plan on adding on to it(i.e. graphics card(s) )? You're actually paying over $400+ more for it vs. Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan), so unless you're going to be heavily OC'ing the CPU, that's an extra $400+ you could put into a GPU selection.

That's just my opinion based on what you've provided thus far. More information is going to be needed for others to chime in:
-Expected usage besides gaming.
-Number of drives/type to be migrated/added to the system.
-Monitor resolution/single, dual, triple, etc.
-Type of gaming.
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by MrCheetah

I have two questions to start the suggestion discussion.

• Is this rig going to be used for anything beyond gaming (e.g., video creation/editing, audio creation/editing,

• Is one of your current drives an NVMe (PCIe 3 or PCIe 4) SSD?
-- You'll want an NVMe drive for the OS at a minimum. Using a SATA drive for the main drive nowadays will unnecessarily/unreasonably limit the other components.

Thanks so much for responding. I will also be using the computer for video and sound editing.

The 2tb Samsung 860 Pro that I have in my config will be the main drive. I have 5 other high capacity 3.5" hard drives that I will be putting in the case which contain all my media and games.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:24pm
I have a few thoughts...

1) Keep in mind that the Aventum is a HUGE machine. I purchased one a few years ago, and I absolutely love it. However, it was much larger and heavier than I expected. It was so heavy that I couldn't get it up the stairs into my house without using a hand truck, a moving blanket, tape, and straps. Mine weighs approximately 100 lbs, and it's so tall that it won't fit under a desk. And if you live in earthquake country (California), you probably don't want to place it on top of your desk. I have mine sitting on the floor next to my desk. However, if you're ok with all that then go for it! It's a beautiful and epic machine! If you want something in a more manageable size, then get a Velox. It's just as capable, but more practical.

2) I would recommend upgrading your storage to NVM Express for MUCH faster read/write speeds. Perhaps something like the 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520.

3) If you decide to get the Velox rather than the Aventum, then take that extra money and use it to upgrade your video card from a 3060 Ti to something even faster. :)

And welcome to this forum! I bet you'll get some great suggestions from the other members too.

Edited by JamesAstro - 30 Jul 2021 at 4:25pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Acetylide

I think that unless you have a need for a case that size(it is one heavy SOB) and the extra RAM headroom provided by the X299 chipset(256 Gb max), you're throwing a lot of money away; especially if its going to be for gaming and you only have a 3060Ti selected in light of your other selected components.
If this system is just going to be used for gaming, you would be better off going with a cheaper X570 or Z590 system(128 Gb RAM max) with a Velox case and putting more of the money into a RTX 3070 or maybe even a 3080 depending on what resolution you game at & what kind of games you're playing.
I couldn't help but notice you have a sound card selected, so I can only assume you have more in mind than just gaming for this system since most motherboards already have decent on-board audio.

Is your cooling selection for aesthetics or do you plan on adding on to it(i.e. graphics card(s) )? You're actually paying over $400+ more for it vs. Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan), so unless you're going to be heavily OC'ing the CPU, that's an extra $400+ you could put into a GPU selection.

That's just my opinion based on what you've provided thus far. More information is going to be needed for others to chime in:
-Expected usage besides gaming.
-Number of drives/type to be migrated/added to the system.
-Monitor resolution/single, dual, triple, etc.
-Type of gaming.

Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. It is very helpful. Here are some answers to your comments;
I am also going to be using this system for video and sound production. I am also going to move my 5 internal 3.5" HD to this system. I think that this is the only case that can handle that many drives. It is also the reason I am putting 64gb ram in it.
The sound card it because of the sound editing.
As far as the cooling system, I am not looking for the aesthetics. I am also not going to do any heavy overclocking.
I just want to make sure that I have sufficient cooling for a system that has 5 mechanical hard drives and the rest of my components. The Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) will do the job?
I am running a dual monitor system. Probably the most processor demanding games that I run would be Total War:Warhammer 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Is it worth putting the extra money into a RTX 3070 over the RTZ 3060.

Thank you!
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by JamesAstro

I have a few thoughts...

1) Keep in mind that the Aventum is a HUGE machine. I purchased one a few years ago, and I absolutely love it. However, it was much larger and heavier than I expected. It was so heavy that I couldn't get it up the stairs into my house without using a hand truck, a moving blanket, tape, and straps. Mine weighs approximately 100 lbs, and it's so tall that it won't fit under a desk. And if you live in earthquake country (California), you probably don't want to place it on top of your desk. I have mine sitting on the floor next to my desk. However, if you're ok with all that then go for it! It's a beautiful and epic machine! If you want something in a more manageable size, then get a Velox. It's just as capable, but more practical.

2) I would recommend upgrading your storage to NVM Express for MUCH faster read/write speeds. Perhaps something like the 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520.

3) If you decide to get the Velox rather than the Aventum, then take that extra money and use it to upgrade your video card from a 3060 Ti to something even faster. :)

And welcome to this forum! I bet you'll get some great suggestions from the other members too.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and thoughts. Your suggestion about faster storage is a good one.
I am also going to be using this system for video and sound production. I am also going to move my 5 internal 3.5" HD to this system. I think that this is the only case that can handle that many drives. It is also the reason I am putting 64gb ram in it.

I am running a dual monitor system. Probably the most processor demanding games that I run would be Total War:Warhammer 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Is it worth putting the extra money into a RTX 3070 over the RTZ 3060?
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 6:03pm
Dual monitors at what resolution? 1080, 1440, or 4k?

You're probably not going to ever need 256 Gb system RAM, so you should opt for a X570 or Z590 system. Beyond that, the only other reason to go with a TRX40 or X299 board would be if you need the extra PCI-E slots on the motherboard for adding additional(more than 2) graphics cards or other PCI-E devices. Some of the X570 boards offer 3 or even 4 PCI-E slots, but then you need to consider PCI-E version, bandwidth sharing, slot speeds when fully populated, etc., vs your needs.

Ditch the Hydrolux Pro and get the maintenance-free H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan).

If the Velox doesn't support your needed hard drive numbers, then I would find a similar case that does and ask DS if they would use it(you might need to have them order additional fans for the case), or at the least, see if they would recommend one other than the Aventum. That thing is just way too big and heavy; especially if you're not going to use it to its fullest potential nor ever have the need to. No sense in paying a whole lot of extra for features you won't use.

When it comes to the SSD, if you're going with a motherboard that supports PCI-E 4.0, you should consider going with an M.2 SSD that is also 4.0 since it is faster.
Forget about the 2TB Samsung 860 PRO. It uses SATA III, which is much slower than M.2. You can get the 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 for the same price and is near 10 times faster. Just keep in mind that if you're going to be near filling it up that it will slow down. I know the Sabrent SSDs will do this.
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 6:55pm
Thanks for your suggestions.

Everyone say to ditch the Hydrolux and go with the stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex.

Your SSD suggestion looks great. I'll ditch the Samsung 860 Pro and go with the 2TB FireCuda 520.

I chose the ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II because it has built in wifi and bluetooth. The wifi in my room is about 750 Mbps and it is even faster than the Ethernet at times. I don't see any options for X570 or Z590 boards.

My gaming will be 1440.

Thanks again.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Kandwar

I am also going to move my 5 internal 3.5" HD to this system. I think that this is the only case that can handle that many drives.

That does appear to be true.

I am also going to be using this system for video and sound production.

It is also the reason I am putting 64gb ram in it.

I do agree 64GB should be fine. I also agree with...
Originally posted by Acetylide

the extra RAM headroom provided by the X299 chipset(256 Gb max), you're throwing a lot of money away

You probably don't need a workstation-class CPU and motherboard -- even with video and audio production, unless you're a pro working on films with multi-angle shots in UHD or something like that.

I realized, I don't recall you stating a budget -- which you'll want to do for best advice. Nevertheless, I selected a couple of configs, both a little more than $6,000.

Intel - Config #: 4007670
AMD - Config #: 4007671

(To view, go to the top of the page, click Load Config, enter one of the configuration numbers above, then click Load.)

A few clarifications on the component selections.

• CPU: The more cores the better, however, the improvement is rarely linear (e.g., 16-cores isn't typically going to be double the performance of 8-cores).

Premiere Pro CPU performance: Intel Core 10th Gen vs AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen | Puget Systems

The one benefit Intel has is higher default Turbo Boost clocks, but neither brand's latest is a slouch -- stay with the 11th gen. if you do go Intel.

• Storage: You'll notice there are two drives selected. First is the main drive (OS and apps) Second one can be your scratch disk.

Build and Optimize Your Computer for DAW Music Creation
| Preset Patch

Working with scratch disks | Adobe

Both drives could be PCIe 4 (e.g., two Samsung 980 SSDs) but I picked a gen. 3 drive for the main because any NVMe drive is fast, it's not as if you should be needing to reload OS and app files often -- possibly never until the next reboot, and thus it's okay to grab some cost savings.

• RAM: TridentZ is great RAM -- it is. Although, performance wise, you probably won't see double the performance despite nearly double the price compared to Digital Storm's standard stuff. So, unless you really want RGB RAM, I'd go with the 3200MHz sticks.

• Graphics Card: With video editing in mind and dual monitors, the extra VRAM and oomph of something such as a 3080 isn't a bad investment.

• Cooling: This choice is certainly debatable. Put simply, I figured if you go with the Aventum, a case designed with custom cooling as a forefront feature, might as well utilize those giant radiators. So, I chose the HydroLux option that covers both CPU and GPU. Not so much as necessary as trying not to be entirely wasteful. :)

• Power: I did want to point out 1000W does appear sufficient, at least according to OuterVisions's Power Supply Calculator. I didn't surpass an estimate of 775W with either config.
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:16pm
After you select the Tower(Lynx, Lumos, Velox, etc.), you scroll down to the bottom and select the Series. The X570 boards are found in the AMD Ryzen Series, and the Z590 boards are found in the Intel Core 11th Gen series.
They're not going to be listed in the configurator when you're in the Intel Core X-series. They're different chipsets.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:10pm
It just occurred to me that you can configure the Velox or Lumos with the Antec P101 case which supports 8 hard drives. The case isn't as elegant as the Velox or Lumos cases, and it doesn't have a side window to show off your hardware. However, it's big, and it's also known for being quiet. This might be a good way to save money, and get the space that you need for hard drives.

Antec P101

Review of Antec P101
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:35am
My friends have covered a lot of ground, and given some very good advice. IMO, the very best CPU you could get here for dual purposes is the AMD 5950X, hands down. The Intel 10920x is slower, and not suited to gaming as well as the AMD part. The compromise is the 5900X, which is 12 cores/24 threads, and 17% faster than your Intel part. And cheaper. I don't think you will be happy with just 8 cores. Saving on the RAM is a fine idea, you won't know the difference, but the budget will. The Antec case is an excellent solution if you are heeding the advice about the the extreme size and weight of the Aventum. I do not like custom cooling loops at all. They can leak, and they require too much attention for my taste. The Aventum has room and the visual impact panels for all those radiators, but it's not necessary at all in a giant case with 14 fans going.

Since gaming is the main thing, I think a 3070 will be fine for your use. It will power 2 1440s, and game upwards of 100 fps and up.

There is a lot to unpack here, but there is no need to just take our word for any of it. Google is your friend.

My build for you following some of the suggestions would look like this:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4008297

Just click on it. That system in an Aventum would run $408 more. I don't think you need any more than 500GB for a Primary drive if you have a 1TB scratch disc.
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:22am
Lots of great suggestions and information that I really appreciate. All of my previous computers have been Intel so I will be spending time looking at reconfigurations with AMD too.

Someone mentioned that the Aventum custom cooling loops require lots of attention and can leak. I'm heading toward the H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) anyway, but am curious as to other opinions.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:33am
I can get behind Cretae's config suggestion. Although, I would tweak one thing... Go with a ROG motherboard, perhaps the Dark Hero. That way, you'll get the integrated Wi-Fi and BT you want.
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 10:56am
I made quite a lot of changes based on your suggestions and some research. I pulled back on some parts that were probably overkill for me and were just wasting money. I switched to a AMD system. Kept the large Aventum case because of the number of HD slots I will need. Went to 3200 Mhz RAM probably never seeing any difference with the 3600. I ditched the Hydrolux system for the Stage 2:Digital Storm VOrtex. Went for the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero becasue of the built in WiFI and Bluetooth. Up my specs to the GeForce RTX 3070.
With all of these changes, I saved about $700 and have a stronger system than what I initially started out with.
I removed the Sound Blaster Card since I can take that from my current computer and move it over. Will it be easy top put in the Sound Blaster card without disturbing other components? Thank you!

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 11:35am

Someone mentioned that the Aventum custom cooling loops require lots of attention and can leak. I'm heading toward the H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) anyway, but am curious as to other opinions.

Yeah, I would agree that the Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) is the best way to go. I have an Aventum with a custom cooling loop. It has been a lovely machine, and for the first 5 years it was flawless. However, it recently developed a small leak in the cooling system. I was able to fix it temporarily by tightening a screw, but now it's slowly leaking again. It'll require some real maintenance now. Oh, and now I have a permanent red stain on my carpet where the initial leak occurred.

Plus, even if your custom cooling loop never leaks, it makes upgrades more difficult. I have a system where the CPU and both video cards are liquid cooled, so upgrading the video cards requires some extra skills due to the cooling loop.

Anyway, it looks like you made some great changes to your initial configuration. Isn't this forum great! I went through a similar process about a month ago, and the members here helped me make some smart changes to the configuration. This forum is a treasure!
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 4:12pm

Thanks so much for all of the great feedback and suggestions for my build. Because of your help, my current configuration plan is so much better and less expensive than what I started with.
It's great to see a group of knowledgeable people being willing to share their time and ideas to help others.
I will sit on this build for a few days and unless I discover something new or hear from you about a change, I will purchase the system this coming week. Here is the current build.
Digital Storm Aventum X (Config # 4009120)
$5,333.00
$5,333.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16-Core) 4.9 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 21-28 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Kandwar - 31 Jul 2021 at 4:16pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:13pm
Remember to use the exact same email address for ordering as you've used here on the forums to get that really cool "Verified Customer" badge.

Good luck! ... can't wait to see pictures when this beast is up and running in its new home. (Even though it's not my preferred 'envy green'.. black is good, too )
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 6:21am
You've made some excellent choices IMHO. I really like MrCheetah's choice of motherboard for you. I think everything has come together very nicely, and you will get a ton of mileage from this system.

The last time I looked, however, the 1 TB Samsung 980s were actually cheaper than the Firecudas. There is no doubt in my mind which I would prefer. The Samsungs are not only quite a bit faster (7GB/5GB read/write vs 5GB/4.4GB), but Samsung has been the standard for reliability in NVMe SSDs for most of their existence. Taken together, those facts scream SAMSUNG 980. The speed difference would not be the big deal, price and reliability are. The Firecudas are a great go-to if you can save money, in the case of the 1TBs, you don't.   
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 7:30am
There seems to be a difference of opinions about whether to go with the Firecudas or the Samsung 980s. The cost difference between the two is pretty insignificant. I would love to get some more input about this choice.
Thank you.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:58am
I have a Lumos with a 5950 and Dark Hero running dual 1 TB Samsung 980s. Pretty happy with the performance so far.

Edited by ealderson - 01 Aug 2021 at 3:23pm

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Cretae

The last time I looked, however, the 1 TB Samsung 980s were actually cheaper than the Firecudas. There is no doubt in my mind which I would prefer. The Samsungs are not only quite a bit faster (7GB/5GB read/write vs 5GB/4.4GB), but Samsung has been the standard for reliability in NVMe SSDs for most of their existence. Taken together, those facts scream SAMSUNG 980. The speed difference would not be the big deal, price and reliability are. The Firecudas are a great go-to if you can save money, in the case of the 1TBs, you don't.   

I agree with Cretae. The Samsung 980s are the best if you're looking for 1TB of storage. They are faster and cheaper than the Firecudas at this storage size.
Kandwar View Drop Down

Quote Kandwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 11:55am
My order has been placed! Thank you all for your valuable help in developing a configuration.
Now comes the agonizing part; counting the days until it arrives.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 11:59am
Congratulations on submitting the order, and good luck for a quick arrival!

I ordered a system about a month ago, and it's almost ready (stage 6.) Hopefully yours will go equally well.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 1:41am

Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply