FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What goes on the SSD?

Post Date: 2010-09-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dblecircle View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dblecircle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What goes on the SSD?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 12:18pm
Im getting a new computer and I ordered the 120 gig Corsair drive force SSD and a 1 TB caviar black for my hard drives.

I do a lot of video editing with heavy effects processing and rendering in HD (.mts files)

My impression was that the operating system goes on the SSD and the other drive is used for storing and editing the video stuff.

I am using Adobe CS5, when I get my comp should I load that up on the SSD as well?

What is the best way to maximize performance?

I am also using the computer for gaming, do games go on the SSD?  I will only have 2 or 3 on at any given time.

Please give me some advice as to what software or video files should go where or how I can get the best performance out of my machine.

Thanks! 

980x @ 3.9, SLI Dual 480s, 120 gig SSD, X-fi Champion, 1200w, 800d, 12 gigs RAM, RTS + CS5 Fun O Fun Oh My!
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 12:22pm
whatever you're going to edit, move it on to the SSD for best results. also have CS5 on it too, it will speed up stuff going on with the program. when you're not using the video files, dump them in the HDD.

Quote dblecircle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:09pm
Dumping everything I'm working on on one drive, the fastest one, is the best way to go then?  I was concerned the comp would be working with the OS the program AND the video from one drive might make a bottle neck of some sort.

980x @ 3.9, SLI Dual 480s, 120 gig SSD, X-fi Champion, 1200w, 800d, 12 gigs RAM, RTS + CS5 Fun O Fun Oh My!
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by dblecircle

Dumping everything I'm working on on one drive, the fastest one, is the best way to go then?  I was concerned the comp would be working with the OS the program AND the video from one drive might make a bottle neck of some sort.

Pfffft. Sure, on a HDD. Not an SSD. No bottleneck here. Strong

But also keep in mind that if you have sufficient memory for the file(s) you are working with that CS5 might just load everything into memory (RAM) and edit the files from there, meaning the SSD would only be coming into play when loading CS5, when first loading the file(s), and when saving the file(s) when you're done.

So depending on your usage habits this could steal a lot of the SSD's thunder, so to speak. But as long as you have the room, OS/apps and some games on the SSD is a great idea.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Benson729 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Benson729 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:32pm
So should an MMO launcher program be on an SSD?

Quote dblecircle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 2:17pm
Thanks again, I getting 12 gigs but the application files I'm using can be large, at times definately more than 12 gigs.  From what I've read I'll have my OS, CS5, and a few games on the ssd and keep the video files on the HD and see how that works.  I might get another SSD when I can afford it later and use it as a scratch disk to put current projects on perhaps.  But unless there is a serious performance issue I'll probably keep them separate just because it's easier to organize I think.

You're a big fan of intel right?  Maybe an 80 gig intel ssd to hold and load current projects would be perfect for that.

Again thanks for the tips.

Post Reply Post Reply