FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What I need & What I want

Post Date: 2021-07-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarxistKiller View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarxistKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What I need & What I want
    Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 10:40am
Please help me configure a build suitable for my needs.
Budget:
[Under, Way Under $3000 if Possible ]

Usage:
[Video Editing in 4K and Architectural Home Design Software w/3D]

Specifications:
[I'd like to run 3 displays with the center one a 27" 4K. At some point all 3 4K]

I keep coming up with $2600 to $3000 for cost. If I had to guess my builds within DS are overkill for my needs.

Thanks for your help. I know so little about all this stuff.
Paul
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 4:14am
I don't think overkill at all. This is what I come up with, and I think I have trimmed it almost to the bone:

3979192    $2685

The Lynx case is because it saves $116. The CPU isn't the current generation, but it's a fine processor, and you need more cores/threads.

32GB of RAM is a must-have. You would benefit some from faster RAM, so you could consider the G.Skill@ +$56. It's not critical, though. RAM is really easy and not too expensive to upgrade later.

IMO, you need an 850W PSU for ability to upgrade without restriction.

The 500GB Firecuda is no longer available. Next best choice (only because it costs more) is the super-fast Samsung 500GB 980 PRO. For another $42, you could opt for the Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and step up to 1TB. It's a bit slower, but you would not notice. It's NVMe, so it's waaaay faster than SATA which is what the DS SSDs are.

The video card is where we falter. I think the 3060 Ti is the choice despite it's delayed status. It's not good for gaming at 4K, but that's not your use. It will drive multiple monitors, allow for video editing at 4K, and brings the budget under control. It compares well with a 2080 SUPER, which was the 2nd best card from the last generation. It beats out the 2080. Both of those cards were often mentioned as high-end editing solutions, and this card is in the same class. IDK if it will do well with 3x 4K monitors, it will depend on the work, but by the time you need to find out, there will be better cards out, and hopefully cheaper. The 3060 Ti beats a 3060 by 35% (!), and well worth waiting for.

IMHO, this rig will get the job done at a reasonable price, and be upgradeable for even better performance later.

Quote MarxistKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 7:07am
Cretae...thanks so much for this bit of info. Its exactly what I was looking for....unfortunately a crypto account my wife and I had was hacked Monday and all of my money to buy this computer was stolen. That said I doubt I'll be upgrading to this computer we're talking about.
Paul
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:37am
   So sorry to hear that. I have one of those accounts, and I hope it's not that easy to get to. I feel your pain, honestly.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 5:16am
Sorry for the misfortune.
Anything electronic is hackable.Ninja
 We all should know that!

Quote MarxistKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:34am
Well Cretae, all I can say about your crypto account is make use of a COLD WALLET. My money would still be safe had I done that. I just couldn't wrap my mind around that concept.

Edited by MarxistKiller - 05 Aug 2021 at 8:40am
Paul

Quote MarxistKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:38am
Originally posted by hoserator

We all should know that!
Your right, of course. I had many reasons to think I was safe but in the end, I was wrong. The really sad part is my wife suffers the most...we were about to buy a house but not now. I guess I'll buy a pos computer off craigslist as I have always done.
Paul
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 11:23am
Originally posted by MarxistKiller

Originally posted by hoserator

We all should know that!
Your right, of course. I had many reasons to think I was safe but in the end, I was wrong. The really sad part is my wife suffers the most...we were about to buy a house but not now. I guess I'll buy a pos computer off craigslist as I have always done.

Just read where a major heist of 600M in crypto is slowly being returned, as the thief did it for fun and not money supposedly.  I'm hoping this is the same thief that hit you folks, and that you got some, if not all of your money back this week.

I've had everything stolen from me before, and even though it was only $600 back when I was just a kid out of high school, I had to have that money for rent, and it felt sickening as I knew exactly who stole it, but could not prove it.  Since they stole my wallet, it meant I lost everything including ID, social security card, etc.  Had to have proof of identity sent from family, to start over again.  Learned to trust nobody when it came to certain things, and I suppose it was best to learn at such an early age.  Even if I have family over to visit, my wallet is nowhere to be found.  You can have honest people around you that become tempted to steal. 

Quote MarxistKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 6:15pm
Another sad part is Exodus isn't talking to me anymore. These people have the brains to tell me where my BNB went and yet silence. A London court forced Binance to compensate someone that had their BNB stolen and then deposited into Binance. So, I need someone to trace that 60 BNB.....any ideas? Thieves SUCK!!
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply