FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what to buy

Post Date: 2019-10-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dottied5 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: what to buy
    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:00pm
I would like to purchase a gaming,streaming,workspace computer for my grandson a junior in high school. He will be playing games although i do not know which ones I will also be buying all accessories keyboard monitor ...I want this purchase to last him thru college. I like the look of the water cooled although not a must have and I would like the clear Lumos case. I do not know much about the technicals so any help would be much appreciated. He has been using Xbox One only to this point.He is not a techy guy and a beginingger when it comes to streaming and video editing buy my launch into those areas in the near future. Thank you in advance. My budget is 2500 I could buy the monitor and other things separately, would be nice to fit all into that budget.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:15pm
Welcome to the forum dottied5 !

What a great grandmother to be looking after this lucky young man!
I prepared a Lumos build that uses the budget without those extra peripherals.     Concentrates on all high quality components and an excellent mid level RTX 2070 Super graphics card that would support use of a very good quality 2K / 1440 P resolution gaming monitor.    It would be able to do school work and gaming on current popular titles equally well.     No maintenance All In One water cooled Overclocked Intel processor.     This computer would be easily upgraded by your grandson when needed later in college.    It also looks awesome and the RGB lights on fans and RAM would be fully user customizable using Corsairs excellent iCue software.   If he gets Corsair RGB keyboard and mouse, those would be controlled and synchronized by iCue as well.   This is a lot of custom built and tested computer for a very reasonable price with the DS Sale taking off $200!

Lumos Build1.   Config # 2630753. $2,799 less DS Sale $200 off = $2599 Total + Free Shipping

Intel I7-9700K 8-core Processor Overclocked (Free) Stage 1 4.7 KHz
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ATX motherboard with WIFI
16 GB Corsair RGB RAM
Corsair H100i 240mm AIO No Maintenance Sealed CPU Cooler
Corsair 850 Watt Gold Efficiency Power Supply
NVidia RTX 2070 Super 8 GB VRAM video card
Samsung Evo 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD Drive1
2 TB SATA III standard Hard Drive Drive2
Corsair LL Series RGB Case Fan Upgrade

I own a similar 2019 DS Lumos my son uses in a bedroom...very quiet and he leaves it on 24/7 lights and all...lol.    This rig would last a long time, and if he wants a newer stronger graphics card in a few years, it’s easy to just plug in a new model.    Same with plugging in added storage drives when needed.   See what you think...

Edited by HockeyBuck - 16 Oct 2019 at 10:24pm
dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:55pm
Thank You! I have a question? Water Cooled? Would that be the tubing in the picture shown when i checked specks? Or isthat a more expensive system?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm
Glad you asked.    Yes the Corsair All In One H100i 240 mm sealed CPU cooler contains a special non-conductive liquid coolant , and requires no maintenance.    A great basic cooler with a long factory warranty from Corsair.    I used the basic cooler in your build to try and stay close to your budget.   The Corsair head unit has RGB led lights and sealed black tubing.   There is a slightly larger Corsair AIO 280 mm no maintenance cooler model better than this one for a small added cost.

A top of line DS HydroLux Pro liquid cooler has a much better pump, better CPU head unit, big coolant reservoir with more total system coolant, and can be ordered to just cool the CPU,   or CPU + GPU.

Full liquid coolers are a bit more expensive and do require a topping off of evaporated coolant about once a year, and will eventually require a complete change out of the coolant in several years from now when the liquid gets a bit dirty from normal corrosion or other stuff.    

The big benefit to the stronger HydroLux Pro is lower temps of CPU and or GPU, and higher frequency more stable Overclocks on the CPU and or GPU.    Better CPU head unit, bigger diameter tubing with color options for coolant and tubing, large extra coolant reservoir, stronger pump unit and better radiator.    Lower temps translate to better performance!     When GPU is included in the coolant loop, it includes a custom coolant GPU block that replaces the GPU fans to better cool the video card.

To make HydroLux Pro future maintenance easier you can ask DS about using Quick Disconnect fittings and a drain valve for added cost.

Your cooling upgrade options with this build... If the build config tops $3000 the DS Sale takes $300 off...Over the $4000 mark gets $400 off..

Larger Radiator and fans Corsair AIO H115i Pro 280 mm no maintenance CPU cooler +$ 30.....$ 2829 less DS Sale $200 off = $ 2629 Total

Full HydroLux Pro CPU Cooler... Clear Flex Tubing / Clear coolant
+$ 419. .......$ 3218 less DS Sale $300 off = $ 2918

Full HydroLux Pro CPU + 1 GPU Cooler... Clear Flex Tubing / Clear coolant. +$ 787....$ 3586 less DS Sale $ 300 off = $ 3286

* I also selected the mid range RTX 2070 Super GPU to meet your budget needs.    One other performance option I did not mention would be to upgrade the video card to the next stronger NVidia RTX 2080 Super 8 GB VRAM GPU +$ 293.... or the top of the line RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VRAM GPU +$ 573.     The stronger the video card, the better the possible video game performance and frame rates would be...and higher resolution 4K displays and VR gaming can be experienced best on these more expensive higher performing GPU’s.   Also, higher tier video cards tend to meet performance expectations for a bit longer, before the user wants or feels the need to upgrade to the latest tech GPU.

Play around with your options in the DS configuration tool for Lumos and keep in mind the DS Sale only subtracts the sale amount in your DS cart when you complete a purchase transaction!   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 17 Oct 2019 at 8:24pm
dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:41pm
Thanks again for the great information. I'm assuming the head unit is the fan? Both units you recommend will light?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:03am

The head unit attaches to the processor and exchanges the heat of the processor with the copper of the head unit, cooled by the fluid running through the head.   Both of the Corsair AIO coolers head units are RGB LED lighted...   The fluid is pumped to the combination radiator/pump where fans allow the heat to be released to the air and vented away.   The cooled fluid circulates back to the head unit again to repeat the process.

Not sure if the current HydroLux Pro heads are lighted...depends on the model they use.    I you were to choose HydroLx Pro and do CPU and GPU, the custom DS GPU water block is usually led lighted.    The full Pro system has a large reservoir pump unit in addition to larger better radiator (s) and better head unit, so more coolant, moving more efficiently producing lower fluid temps.    The good thing is that you can see the condition of the coolant, and can refill the reservoir when coolant levels drop from normal evaporation to maintain top cooling performance.   You can’t do that with sealed AIO coolers.

Edited by HockeyBuck - 18 Oct 2019 at 12:09am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:14am
AIO coolers need no maintenance at all (normal cleaning of dust on the radiator as with all fans). The cooler will work for years. It does have one more source of trouble than air coolers (pump) but they are fairly problem free.If you are going to overclock the cpu then the AIO or Hydro Lux options are the preferred choice.
HockeyBuck has you covered. Awesome
BTW, air coolers can have __ lights. (Oops RGB fans? strips?)

Big%20Smile 

Edited by hoserator - 18 Oct 2019 at 4:15am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 4:12am
You gotta like to tinker to get liquid loop cooling. It's never maintenance free, and very problematic if it ever leaks. The temp benefits just aren't worth the money IMHO.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 4:19am
I have to agree with Cretae.  Awesome

In fact, I bet if DS still offered the Noctua, it would be recommended a lot more than the AIOs. It is just as good.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:07am

Gents...seriously.... When was the last time you heard here of an AIO cooler leaking?   

The Corsair AIO coolers are rock solid zero maintenance cooling choices.   If any AIO cooler ever stops working, or doesn’t work as well in a few years...you simply replace it with another sealed AIO cooler and that is that.    Bigger is better, as there is more radiator surface area and larger diameter fans for dumping heat.   You will only need to blow out the dust in the case once in a while...that is it.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 18 Oct 2019 at 11:11am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:39pm

LOL they leak?

Cretae will correct me but we were referring to the loop in the Lumos picture that dottied5 was commenting about. That loop looks like a clear hardline with white pigmented coolant Hydro Lux Pro.

We all agree that the only thing that can go wrong with the new AIOs which would require their replacement is the pump. Have not heard about one leaking for a while but if there is liquid somewhere, it is always trying to go somewhere else were it is not wanted. Big%20Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 4:30pm
Totally talking about custom loops. I've been back hanging here over two years, and never heard on an AIO leaking.

Totally agree, HB! Sorry I wasn't clear.
dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

The head unit attaches to the processor and exchanges the heat of the processor with the copper of the head unit, cooled by the fluid running through the head.   Both of the Corsair AIO coolers head units are RGB LED lighted...   The fluid is pumped to the combination radiator/pump where fans allow the heat to be released to the air and vented away.   The cooled fluid circulates back to the head unit again to repeat the process.

Not sure if the current HydroLux Pro heads are lighted...depends on the model they use.    I you were to choose HydroLx Pro and do CPU and GPU, the custom DS GPU water block is usually led lighted.    The full Pro system has a large reservoir pump unit in addition to larger better radiator (s) and better head unit, so more coolant, moving more efficiently producing lower fluid temps.    The good thing is that you can see the condition of the coolant, and can refill the reservoir when coolant levels drop from normal evaporation to maintain top cooling performance.   You can’t do that with sealed AIO coolers.

dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:23pm
I purchased the original configuration you suggested, thank you!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 8:40pm
Cool!    Congrats on your Verified Customer badge!     

Your lucky grandson is going to be over the moon when he gets his hands on this new Lumos build!      You are an awesome grandmother to be providing such an important tool for his use!    Keep us posted on how the whole process goes for you....   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 12:42am
Very cool. Congratulations and welcome. A computer has become a primary tool for engaging in all nowadays (in addition to gaming). Your grandson will be ecstatic. Awesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 5:06am
Very nice.
dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 5:29pm
Thanks! now his mom is researching monitor,keyboard, speakers... any suggestions mid range budget
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm
Of course...lol!

Keyboard & mouse....If mom goes with Corsair RGB Wired Mechanical keyboard and a wired Corsair RGB Gaming mouse, those lights would also be controlled in the Corsair iCUE software and lighting effects can all be synchronized for the young man to personalize everything to match. My son, and my mrs both use RGB versions of the Corsair K70 mechanical RGB wired Keyboards and both like them a lot.   He would be able to synch his Corsair RAM, Cooler, and the LL Fans to all display the same RGB LED colors or effects.

Mouse...I have used the Corsair M65 wired Optical RGB gaming mouse and it's pretty good gear.   Tell her avoid wireless... wired is always faster and has the best performance.

Monitor... The NVidia RTX 2070 Super video card has hardware called G-SYNC that can match up video card performance to G-SYNC equipped monitors, so tell her NVidia has tested and approved only the monitors on their own list. Grab a monitor of whatever size off this approved GSYNC monitor list and should work the best.   IPS (In Plane Switching) driven monitors from the list can display the most accurate color spectrum.

Speakers...Lol...This young guy is a Junior in HS, so this is a likely a bedroom system.   My advice is instead of speakers right away, go after a good quality wired gaming headphones with microphone and that should keep it loud for him and quiet in the house for his mother and the fam...Corsair, Sennheiser, Razer make decent headsets. Figure on his killing off a headset about once a year....they don't last.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs

Edited by HockeyBuck - 26 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 11:05pm
I appreciate you! Thanks I hope you understand how much you helped us and most certainly how much my grandson! Because of your help my grandson (jimmy) is fortunate and blessed to be receiving a fantastic gaming system and we can't forget a powerful pc for school tasks! Best regards to you and yours.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 5:07am
Making folks like you happy and leaving a little bit of useful knowledge behind are why we're here. I certainly hope it's everything the you and the young man hope for.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 6:31pm
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 1:47pm
Awesome help!!!
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Welcome to the forum dottied5 !

What a great grandmother to be looking after this lucky young man!
I prepared a Lumos build that uses the budget without those extra peripherals.     Concentrates on all high quality components and an excellent mid level RTX 2070 Super graphics card that would support use of a very good quality 2K / 1440 P resolution gaming monitor.    It would be able to do school work and gaming on current popular titles equally well.     No maintenance All In One water cooled Overclocked Intel processor.     This computer would be easily upgraded by your grandson when needed later in college.    It also looks awesome and the RGB lights on fans and RAM would be fully user customizable using Corsairs excellent iCue software.   If he gets Corsair RGB keyboard and mouse, those would be controlled and synchronized by iCue as well.   This is a lot of custom built and tested computer for a very reasonable price with the DS Sale taking off $200!

Lumos Build1.   Config # 2630753. $2,799 less DS Sale $200 off = $2599 Total + Free Shipping

Intel I7-9700K 8-core Processor Overclocked (Free) Stage 1 4.7 KHz
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ATX motherboard with WIFI
16 GB Corsair RGB RAM
Corsair H100i 240mm AIO No Maintenance Sealed CPU Cooler
Corsair 850 Watt Gold Efficiency Power Supply
NVidia RTX 2070 Super 8 GB VRAM video card
Samsung Evo 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD Drive1
2 TB SATA III standard Hard Drive Drive2
Corsair LL Series RGB Case Fan Upgrade

I own a similar 2019 DS Lumos my son uses in a bedroom...very quiet and he leaves it on 24/7 lights and all...lol.    This rig would last a long time, and if he wants a newer stronger graphics card in a few years, it’s easy to just plug in a new model.    Same with plugging in added storage drives when needed.   See what you think...
dottied5 View Drop Down

Quote dottied5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:37pm

Hi , my grandson received his computer yesterday and loves it. We have not been able to figure out how to turn on the wifi and connect to internet. I do not have it hard wired to internet connection. The description you sent me and i placed my order from lists
" MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ATX motherboard with WIFI"
I thought it might be quicker to contact you than customer support for help...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 4:37pm
Hey Super Gram! Glad he likes it. There should be antennas for the motherboards wifi in the parts box...Attach them and then see if you get your network detected....
 Post Reply Post Reply