When is sound "noise"?

Post Date: 2009-04-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: When is sound "noise"?
    Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 5:18pm
From the customer who says his new machine is too loud (and wants to return it)...to the (recent) magazine reviewer who states the DS machine being reviewed is "louder" than expected--both serve as examples of "surprises" and not the pleasant kind.  And, (at least from the customer's perspective) expectations that weren't met-resulting in a diminished out-of-box experience and maybe even long-term dissatisfaction with the purchase.  Trouble is...more (and more) people want a quieter machine--I know I do-- and they have no way of knowing beforehand just how "noisy" the machine they order is?

Having an agreed upon "baseline" (db) measurement from which computers can be compared would give the customer information he needs to make a comparison.  Furthermore, if parts were given an individual db-rating it might be possible to (roughly) predict any combination of parts?

For myself, I wonder what the difference in sound level is between an "air" cooled and "LC" cooled rig.  Or, just how much does adding that 2nd or 3rd GPU add to the mix??  I'm also curious about the difference between PSUs...especially, when one says "silent/quiet" version compared to one that doesn't say anything ??  How about the differences between fans...does paying for an "upgraded" version really decrease the db level--or is that just hype??

At first thought...it may seem there are too many possible combinations to consider...along with several situations that might complicate matters (such as, how do differend cases (say) HAF 932 vs 950i add/subtract to sound levels--with the same configuration of parts)? 

But, let me get back to my first paragraph and the "reviewer" who states a particular DS machine is too "LOUD"...is his reasoning objective or subjective...and how does DS refute the reviewer's finding (should they disagree...) when there are no established levels for what constitutes L-O-U-D?

In conclusion...there's a lot of smart/sharp people out there...surely there's a resonable solution to this??  Any comments/suggestions??
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:22pm
I'm a customer and don't work for DS, I have been here for a year now and watched a lot of things happen and I have watched everybody get satisfied.

Let me start by saying that who ever that magazine reviewer is that made the statement that DS machine is too LOUD, this reviewer does not know his head from his ass, let me explain.

Any body that knows about how these systems work knows that 90% of your sound comes from your GPU's fans, so its not the case or system, its the GPU the system has.

Now take into account that if you want to demand performance from the GPU then the GPU is going to be running hot, hot GPU = fans at 100%, fans at 100% = "LOUD".

so take the same exact case that this none reviewer reviewed and stick a quieter card or put LC on the GPU and all of a sudden your "LOUD" system will become "Quiet", but how can this be? if the case is loud then how come its not loud anymore? Answer is simple, the reviewer does not know his head from his ass.

The main problem is that some people are not educated and what a PC that is quiet, yet the performance they want can't be quiet, I mean you can't OC the CPU and GPU and then expect to have a quiet PC, you can LC them the whole system but even then, things make noise, pumps make noise, water moving around makes noise.

Its kinda like saying why does that Ferrari or Lamborghini sound so loud?

now to answer your question of sound difference between LC and air system, again you LC the CPU but the GPU is where most your sound comes from, problem is that if you LC the GPU then you can run into problems quick and if you don't know how to work the LC system on the GPU (basically install the heatsink for GPU) then you can be without your PC for long period of time.

bottom line is that performance does not come silent.

when you get into 1000w PSU or higher, you gonna have some noise, those fans can be loud too a bit, again performance does not come totally silent. silent version has less noise then the none silent version but its not silent.

Better fans are more quite to a certain extent but the thing to remember is that the low db you are told in all places means the fan is running on low rpm-s, if you want performance from your system then you gonna have to crank up the fans and then out the door goes the low db, low db = low cfm, in the 120mm to 140mm range, there is only so much difference in db in the 50cfm to 90 cfm range.

bottom line is that if people want a real quiet case they need to know how to work the GPU heatsink and understand that even with a LC on GPU the pumps and LC system is going to have some noise, no where near loud as a air system but not silent either.

The question people need to ask themselves is how much noise are they willing to put up with for performance, an remember at the end of the day most of your system noise is from your GPU's fans.

50dba is considered moderate, like an office or classroom and 70dba is considered loud, however not everybody agrees that 50dba is common, some it its OK, some think its loud.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Apr 2009 at 6:23pm
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 11:34pm
As a former reviewer of audio equipment I can say that the way the magazine reviewer judges the noise level is purely subjective. However, with certain issues, such as noise levels, that is the only valid way to qualify it. The decibel level of any noise does not tell a person whether it will be an annoyance or not. It is the sonic characteristic of that noise which will tell someone if it's bothersome. You are correct in stating that there are too many variables in what parts are noisier than others. Some combinations can actually exacerbate the problems by forming harmonic resonances.

I personally feel that all plastic, some steel cases as well as some thin walled aluminum cases can have such issues resulting in what I would consider unacceptable noise. IMO, most cases on the market today just don't adequately address noise in pcs. The current trend toward larger and larger fans to cool with sounds good since the fans are running at low rpms, thus lowering their wind noise and beat noise, however, that also requires the case to be more "open" to let air in or out which also allows internal noise to escape more directly.

As DST4ME stated, the graphics solution is where the majority of noise often comes from. There are some quiet designs that manufacturers put out to ease this issue, but any time you add extra graphics cards, the noise will increase. The exception being, if you use liquid cooling.

Liquid cooling can almost always offer quieter operation for an OC'ed system. The problem of needing more power becomes an issue, however, as most power supplies larger than 750w tend to be rather noisy.

If you wish to have a quiet pc, search the internet for quiet parts and talk to DSO about building you a custom rig. If you want the quietest, you should check out http://silentpcreview.com for some good info.
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 7:54am
In commentary to WiddleCat... Subjective = $$$.  The more $$$ you give them, the less subjective they get.

At least for some mag's.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 9:04am
@ DST4ME  Thanks for the comment(s).  Please, take no offence (because none intended)...I only know you from your forum posts...but, I can't help but see you as the "sentinel" at the gate--the "junkyard" dawg (so to speak) for all things DS...and that's a good thing--you are an enthusiast of the first-order and I admire that!

First off, the article/reviewer I was referencing: is under forum section:  Industry News: "Hot Hardware DSO i7 Review (link provided by Kliebor2; first post).  In the article, under "Cooling, Overclocking, Audio and Power": (when referencing the "CoolerMaster V8)... "This cooler does a nice job of keeping thermals in check, but it is a bit on the noisy side in our opinion, when the fan is dialed up to it's maximum speed."  And two sentences later..."at the V8 cooler's max fan speed (which again was a bit loud for our taste) full load for all four cores dropped..."  In the end, the reviewer agrees with you DST and adds in the "Performance Summary: (last paragraph) "In addition, if you're a serious gamer and want every bit of performance from the components you've selected, you're likely going to have to make compromises in noise levels...  As a result, thought we weren't fond of the audible whine of the CoolerMaster V8 cooler at its max setting.  It sort of comes with the territory for an overclocked gaming rig like this--though we think a few tweaks in the configuration menu may have offered a little less racket and just about the same bang for our buck."  The reviewer concludes with "All told, we're more than confident in this type of gaming system product as delivered by Digital Storm.  You can't help but admire a well built killer gaming rig and the Digital Storm fits that bill to a tee."

In re-reading this article I can see (now) that the references to "noise" etc...are primarily focused on a particular piece of hardware--the CoolerMaster V8 rather than the PC unit as a whole.  To label the "machine" as noisy would be a mistake...but, it also shows some "parts" are quieter than others--and for those of us looking for less noise it was welcome information regarding which parts not to choose.

The 2nd thing I was referencing...under forum heading "Technical Assistance; Noisy Noisy Noisy by Htoler, 13 Feb 2009 @ 6:31pm... states; "I just got my computer today and I am very dissastified.  I cannot believe how noisy this thing is I thought I ordered a computer not a jet.  I have never heard a computer this noisy before..."

DST, in both these forum posts you give *****ous debate with other members as to your position on several items--and that's great...we need considered inputs to make decisions.  My sole purpose in submitting my post "When is sound "noise?" was to start a dialogue/conversation to inform/educate both myself and others...not to find fault with DS or the reviewer of the article referenced.  Grandiose or not...I envisioned the additon of db ratings on certain parts as an added benefit--not to be intrusive/burdensome--but service those looking for help in deciding which parts/selections to make within their own criteria.

@Widdlecat...great input(s)...and I totally agree the "frequency" or cumulative effect  (more than the volume) of a given sound can make all the difference in its irritation level!  I find it interesting...how we all know what sound--even noise--is...but, have varied inputs/levels as to what constitutes "acceptable" levels.  Having been stationed on an Air Force Base, near a runway that had B52's taking off (all hours of the night) I found it amazing that the whole family soon learned/adapted to the unbelievable roar of engines--to the extent that within time we didn't even notice/wake when the planes took off.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 2:57pm
It does not matter who is review, all the people you mentioned are people that I mentioned don't know how things work.

you can ask the rest of the member here, everybody that knows how things work will tell you most of your noise is coming form your GPU.

I'm not interested in what people who don't even understand how things work, think what is loud and why its loud.

you can go by 2 people that don't understand how things work or you can go by 100s of people that do.

Personally I can school most of these reviews and reviewers so I could careless what they want to misinform the public about.

also I'm not defending DS, I'm saying most of your noise comes from the GPUs, not matter where the system is from, and if the v8 is too loud form them, then tell them to go get a more quiet CPU cooler that will also do a poor job of cooling.

Also as widdlecat pointed out, better cooling means more noise escaping from the case so again:

bottom line as I said before, you want performance? its gonna be loud.

the db rating for the all the part are with their manufacturer but you would be wasting your time cause if you think the Case is noisy then its you GPU fans.

AS a side note, when you come across a review that tries to tell you that a system is loud because of v8 then run the other way. cause once you go thru the trouble of making the v8 more quiet, when you go to game or anything GPU intensive then you will see you wasted your time on the v8 cause most of your noise is coming form the GPU.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Apr 2009 at 3:05pm
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 5:13pm
Noise is not an issue for me, I just wear a headset.Ermm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 5:32pm
My house is too loud with the TV and the dog and cat and etc, so thank god noise is not an issue for me either, I want all the performance I can get.

lol just ordered 3 x 120mm 150.33 CFM 56.4 dba fans for my laptop cooler, when tried the 3 x 120mm zalman ZM-F3 fans, the airflow was so little I could barely tell they are on let see how loud thoese guys really are

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

It does not matter who is review, all the people you mentioned are people that I mentioned don't know how things work.

you can ask the rest of the member here, everybody that knows how things work will tell you most of your noise is coming form your GPU.

I'm not interested in what people who don't even understand how things work, think what is loud and why its loud.

you can go by 2 people that don't understand how things work or you can go by 100s of people that do.

Personally I can school most of these reviews and reviewers so I could careless what they want to misinform the public about.

also I'm not defending DS, I'm saying most of your noise comes from the GPUs, not matter where the system is from, and if the v8 is too loud form them, then tell them to go get a more quiet CPU cooler that will also do a poor job of cooling.

Also as widdlecat pointed out, better cooling means more noise escaping from the case so again:

bottom line as I said before, you want performance? its gonna be loud.

the db rating for the all the part are with their manufacturer but you would be wasting your time cause if you think the Case is noisy then its you GPU fans.

AS a side note, when you come across a review that tries to tell you that a system is loud because of v8 then run the other way. cause once you go thru the trouble of making the v8 more quiet, when you go to game or anything GPU intensive then you will see you wasted your time on the v8 cause most of your noise is coming form the GPU.
You made a believer out of me--the main cause of "noise" is from the fans in the GPUs. 

Just ran across this... "MSI  Claims 90% Better Cooling with SuperPipe Technology"  More and more custom cooling solutions are starting to appear for Nvidia's GeForce GTX 285 videocards, with one of the more intriguing options belonging to MSI.  The company has taken traditional heatpipe designs, fattened them up, and slapped them on its N285GTX SuperPipe OC graphics card.

Today, MSI is pleased to announce the N285GTX SuperPipe graphics card, which not only brings to bear the powerful NVIDIA GPU - GeForce GTX 285, but, via the revolutionary "SuperPipe" and Twin Frozr thermal design, offers a high performance and thermal efficiency graphics card.

The aptly named SuperPipes consists of 8mm thick heatpipes, which are up to 60 percent thicker than traditional heatpipes.  According to MSI, the wider design leads to 90 percent better cooling performance.  The N285GTX has been outfitted with five heatpipes in all, two of which are SuperPipes, on an all-metal heatsink with dual fans.

No word yet on price or availability.

So, me thinks....(like you said...it's the fans in the GPU) the cooler you can get/keep the GPUs...the less the "fans" are needed...and therefore less overall "noise".
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 6:57pm
well your theory is correct, now lets see what the real time product results are, so far anytime there has been a fan needed, there has been noise.

as I mentioned earlier if you know how to change the heatsink on the GPU, you can just go LC on GPU and then GPU sound will not be an issue anymore, but thats if you know how to change the heatsink on the GPU.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 10:46am
Originally posted by DST4ME

well your theory is correct, now lets see what the real time product results are, so far anytime there has been a fan needed, there has been noise.

as I mentioned earlier if you know how to change the heatsink on the GPU, you can just go LC on GPU and then GPU sound will not be an issue anymore, but thats if you know how to change the heatsink on the GPU.

Amen, to judging the "new" technology by its performance--not its press release.

Originally, I wanted to get "LC" on both the CPU and the GPUs...but, noticed you consistently advise others against it--saying it can cause problems and complicates matters (having to possibly send the machine back to DS) if something goes wrong.  As well as the ease of swapping out graphics cards if you don't have "LC".  So...(I guess) my whole method-of-madness here is trying to achieve and LC effect (less noise--through better cooling) without going the LC route (if that makes any sense)?  Your comment (above) "...you can just go LC on GPU and then GPU sound will not be an issue anymore, but that's if you know how to change the heatsink on the GPU."  And, you're right--I don't know how to change the heatsink on the GPU.  But, I can learn--I want to learn.  Again, thanks for taking the time to converse/educate/inform...you're considered inputs are appreciated.

Thing is...though my original post was about "noise"...the real culprit is HEAT...necessitating fans--lots of fans--GPU fans and others resulting in "noise".

On a side note...wasn't there something from ALEX (a couple of weeks ago) about DS working on a new cooling system...with a projected date sometime in May??

@Kryhavoc   Agreed..."use headphones" a simple, elegant, cost-effective solution to noise...wish getting rid of the HEAT were that simple--right!  Living in FLORIDA the air conditioning bill is high enough...without having a PC/heater adding to the situation...  Then again, sometimes you have to compromise...take the good with the bad...the ROSE with the thorns.

@Widdlecat   Finally, got around to the website you mention above  Http://silentpcreview.com  thanks for the info.  It's hard to keep up with everything...and it's precisely HELP and INFO from others like you that make this forum what it is--THANX.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 2:24pm
Its always great to learn, but it will cost you some money, trial and error you know

so far it has not been possible to match LC performance/lack of noise with air, but you never know whats gonna come out next.

you are right the bottom line enemy is heat.

Alex was talking about their own cooling system but he also said it would run around $700 range.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 7:15pm
Yup, $700 (more?) is pushing the envelope.  I can't help but wonder if the projected (new cooling) replaces the existing H20: Stage 3...or if it replaces a part of it--if a part; then some of the $1200 cost is replaced also.  But, if it's "in addition to " the current LC then (truly) the expense may be $1200 + $700.  Ouch.  Time will tell...
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 7:45pm

DS list all their stuff pretty accurately.  See what they offer, do a little research as to the quietness of them.  If you don't like what you see, DS will use whatever you want.  Some cases are quieter than others also.  A fully meshed case will let out more noise than a solid case, at the expense of better cooling.  And yes, GPU's basically scream when at 100%, nothing can really block that out.  Also, powersupplies are louder with an increase in load.  If you have a PSU that is 1000watt, and its so loaded its always consuming 900 watts, its gonna be a bit louder.  Almost anything on the market has been reviewed and posted, so its not too difficult to make an educated decision based on whats available, and how loud it is.

Trust me, im building a "quiet pc" now, it took tons of research.  I am extremely happy with the end result, with the exception of failed hardware im still waiting on RMA from an egg store.  Noise annoys me to no end.  I found tons of useful info on these forums, lots of nice peeps have posted links to sites with quiet fans, PSU's and cases.  Also, higher watt PSU's are not noted for being quiet.  Thats why you don't see them in a lot of the "box" stores. 

Air Cooling is just not as quiet as LC for the most part.  Although some pumps can be loud.  They are still not as bad as average air noise. 

DS build for the high end enthusiast market.  Even the lower priced builds i have seen are pretty awesome gaming systems.  No sissy systems here.  The PSU they offer as a "silent edition", the silverstone, is very quiet indeed (for a 1000watt).  Its the one i have.  But again, sound is relative to each individual.  I consider myself more anal than most since my computer is only 2 feet from my head.  I still plan on adding tons of sound insulation when its all done, and an aftermarket GPU cooler once it is available.

A little research goes a long way.  If you want it, tell them, and its as good as done.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 8:55pm
ya $700 dollar range but its not a Liquid cooling system.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Mezzeron

DS list all their stuff pretty accurately.  See what they offer, do a little research as to the quietness of them.  If you don't like what you see, DS will use whatever you want.  Some cases are quieter than others also.  A fully meshed case will let out more noise than a solid case, at the expense of better cooling.  And yes, GPU's basically scream when at 100%, nothing can really block that out.  Also, powersupplies are louder with an increase in load.  If you have a PSU that is 1000watt, and its so loaded its always consuming 900 watts, its gonna be a bit louder.  Almost anything on the market has been reviewed and posted, so its not too difficult to make an educated decision based on whats available, and how loud it is.

Trust me, im building a "quiet pc" now, it took tons of research.  I am extremely happy with the end result, with the exception of failed hardware im still waiting on RMA from an egg store.  Noise annoys me to no end.  I found tons of useful info on these forums, lots of nice peeps have posted links to sites with quiet fans, PSU's and cases.  Also, higher watt PSU's are not noted for being quiet.  Thats why you don't see them in a lot of the "box" stores. 

Air Cooling is just not as quiet as LC for the most part.  Although some pumps can be loud.  They are still not as bad as average air noise. 

DS build for the high end enthusiast market.  Even the lower priced builds i have seen are pretty awesome gaming systems.  No sissy systems here.  The PSU they offer as a "silent edition", the silverstone, is very quiet indeed (for a 1000watt).  Its the one i have.  But again, sound is relative to each individual.  I consider myself more anal than most since my computer is only 2 feet from my head.  I still plan on adding tons of sound insulation when its all done, and an aftermarket GPU cooler once it is available.

A little research goes a long way.  If you want it, tell them, and its as good as done.

The great thing about forums--this one in particular--is that others are sooo generous with their time, talents, and information...willing to help the less (agile/technically astute) pursue their (new/old) passion.

You make several good points and observations... "GPUs basically scream when at 100% nothing can block that out".  And, I'm beginning to realize...reaching for (near) "silent" running may be the Holy Grail of computing (along with low temps).  Like you, my computer is only a couple of feet from my head--Kryhavoc's suggestion of headphones helps of course...but, I'm still looking/listening for other/new possibilities--everybody needs a hobby (ha, ha).

As for PSUs...and your comment that with increased load they tend to be louder--especially if one rated @ 1000w is consistently running near max--900w etc...  Ques: Is this logic correct...get a large PSU that runs at a fraction of its capacity--it will be less noisy?  Or...is it the sheer fact that it's a larger PSU that brings with it noise??  In the end, there is a trade-off between getting a larger PSU--to forestall obsolescence and accommodate new equipment--and the (addtional) noise that comes with it--can't have both can I.  I've heard/read good things about the "1000w Silverstone silent edition" was planning on getting that too.  And read something somewhere about PSU shrouds... as well, as sound-dampening material for the case.

I know you've spent a lot of time/research in finding/choosing parts--and if I'm not too forward in asking--could you post some results of your labor...?  I know it's a lot to ask--relying on the wisdom and good will others--the learning curve on computers is far steeper than I (ever) imagined.  Thankx
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 1:16pm
I am one of those folks who was greatly concerned about noise levels. I even posted a request that they include noise levels of components in the pop-up specs on the order page in the future. I have had (thanks to FedEx) two different chassis and CPU cooler configurations built by DS, so I can tell you my own experience with those two. I'll also throw in my own historical experience with building my own systems and even a few purchases over MANY years.

Here is what I know: Nearly all the noise from a system comes from the fans. Some hard drives make a little noise, but it isn't constant. In my own past experience, larger fans are quieter than smaller fans. Tiny fans are shrill which makes the noise even more annoying. The difference in noise is directly related to fan RPMs. Tiny fans have to turn faster to generate the same amount of air. When fans are the same size, it is possible to have one be quieter than the other, but not by a huge amount unless you run it a lot slower. If you run it slower, the components run hotter. On cases, solid sides are quieter than windowed sides. Sides without fans are quieter than sides with fans (but trade off more heat). That's the general way things work based on over 20 years of working with PCs. Here is what happened with my DS machines.

When I was ordering my original system, I was so concerned about noise, I actually called them to get more input on which components were quieter. They told me the Zalman case fans are quieter than both the stock fans and the LED fans. They told me the Corsair 1000 power supply was quieter than the 1200 watt. They said the quietest case was the 950Si with no window. They said the V8 CPU cooler is very quiet. I made my choices based on that information.

When I got the 950Si, I noticed there was a high-pitched fan sound sticking out like a sore thumb. Now, because the CPU was running VERY hot, I could easily have assumed it was the CPU cooler making the noise. Instead, I opened the case and put my ear next to everything and the GPU fans were the culprit (just like DST4ME said). The CPU fan was maxed out, but it was still fairly quiet. The GPU fans were both running at 100% fan speed and they are tiny little shrill fans. That equals BAD noise. We're talking leaf-blower style bad. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had 3xSLI instead of just 2xSLI.

Anyway, I opened up the GPU utility software (EVGA Precision) and saw that the fans were set to run at 100% all the time. I changed that to AUTO so it would adjust fan speed based on load and the machine instantly became very quiet.

Well, due to shipping and heat issues, that machine was sent back and adjustments were made to my configuration to address heat. I switched to the HAF case and liquid cooling for the CPU. The HAF has really big fans that turn at very low speed, which I figured should be very quiet. When I got it back, I noticed the same loud shrill noise only worse. This time I assumed it was the GPU fans. I immediately changed the GPU fans to AUTO using the utility and the machine became just as quiet as the 950Si. It was just as quiet, despite the HAF having a side window and a side fan, which should make it noisier. Why is the HAF just as quiet as the 950Si? Simple - Those big fans on the case turn really slow and as a result, are extremely quiet.

What about the other components? The sound level on the Zalman radiator fan seems just as quiet as the V8 CPU fan was. The pump is at the bottom of the case and pretty quiet, so it is barely noticable (except it gurgles a bit when it first powers up). The fan on the power supply faces the floor, so it's quiet, too. You can hardly hear the big case fans unless you are right against them. The little bit of sound you do hear is basically a little rushing air sound. I hate excessive sound and I'm pretty happy with it.

The bottom line is, 100% of the really annoying noise on both machines was due to the leaf-blower GPU fans. More GPU fans would be even worse. Setting them to AUTO using EVGA Precision solved that instantly. That's all it took. My guess is, the reviewer heard the loud shrill noise and mistakenly assumed it was the CPU fan.

From my own experience, the reality is exactly as DST4ME said. The GPU fans are by far the loudest, most annoying part of the machine. Once the GPU fans were set to auto, both machines were only slightly audible above the sound of my ceiling fan in the room. They certainly weren't what I would call loud and I'm pretty picky. Ask anyone. Smile

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 5:56pm
Bill Dempsey...Really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences--they have helped immensely.  Your initial concern about noise levels and having the opportunity to compare two different systems is a big help.

Like DST you find the GPU fans to be the main culprit...and your description of a "shrill--leaf blower bad" type of sound sent shivers down my back.  Your confirmation that changing the GPU fans to "auto" using the GPU utility software (EVGA precision)...drastically reduced the noise is great news.

I have been on the fence between choosing the 950si and the HAF 932 for the very reasons you detail...  Your explanation of the (noise) difference in relation to the size/speed of the fans is also a good point.  I couldn't help but think that the HAF case with it's more open attributes would magnify any noise problem--you have removed those anxieties--thanx.

I noticed that on your second version...you went with LC...but, only on the CPU not on the GPUs.  You say the "noise" level was close to the same vs. air/V8...do you feel there should have been a decrease--considering the added cost--or the fact that the CPU would now run cooler...and thereby last longer would be the real benefit??

To be honest, I had been leaning heavily toward getting the GPUs with LC...thinking the cooling would decrease the fan speed(s) and thereby the cumulative noise.  DST is not a big advocate of LC on the GPUs...and RIGHTLY so for ALL the reasons he lists (you know them...so I won't elaborate).  Personally, I have no real experience with LC...other than it sounds good/practical etc...  Don't know why I'm sooo hung up on it...maybe, I just need someone to talk me out of it--save me from myself so to speak.  I keep wondering--how OFTEN does the LC on a GPU cause problems??  Fact is...DST's logic (not to mention his question to me/others about our knowledge of changing heatsinds on a GPU--of which I have none) is getting to me I think--even though I said I wanted to learn ha, ha!  Ok, I gotta ask--why didn't you get LC on the GPU's...there I said it--I feel bettter already.

I know you probably perouse the forum sections too...and may have noticed a scattering of queries by others interested in "quiet" operation.  Do you think it would be beneficial to put exactly the kind of answers/information you provided (along with other member inputs) in a "central" location under one heading--so others can benefit from such wisdom and knowledge?

Again, thanks for all your help...I know I haven't listed all the facts/info you delineated...but, rest assured it wash't overlooked--much appreciated.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 6:14pm
I just want to clarify that when bill said he set the fans to auto, that meant that when the PC was idle the GPU fans were not at 100% so it was not loud while idle, however when you put the GPU under load, it gets hot and the fans will now automatically go back to %100 to keep the GPU cool and thus the noise is back.

Also I want to be clear that I'm not trying to scare anybody out of LC on GPU, I just want to be clear about what can possibly happen, so if it does, you were expecting it, and expect being without your PC for 2 weeks minimum, if you are fine with all that then you are good go, I'm just pointing out worst case scenario, keep in mind you might have the best case scenario, I'm just saying know what you are getting into

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 6:26am
You're absolutely right about setting the fans to "auto" (at idle)...then back to 100% when under load--makes perfect sense.  Sometimes I feel like I'm grasping at straws--trying to connect all the dots (just like so many others) to have the best of all worlds--Power without heat or noise--Fat Chance huh.  Bill Dempsey's inputs were most welcome--it really helps to talk to someone who's been there/has the equipment...rather than hypothetically construct a computer in your head...but, still wonder/agonize over what the REAL machine is going to sound/perform like.

Just cusious...was wondering if OCZ Vertex 2 will be coming out with those NEW SSDs before--or after--your number of "Posts" hits 10,000?  ha, ha..  Your count (posts) is like watching the odometer turn over--or getting high score on a pinball machine--does their (fourm) counter EVEN go to five digits??

Thanks again for your comments....  Getting educated on this forum while waiting for new SSDs, 975EE, DS new cooling system?, Windows 7, etc, etc...to come out (all hopefully around June/July) has been like sitting in a dentist chair getting a root-canal... patience may be a virtue--just not one I possess a lot of.    Heart
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 12:01pm

Thanks for your praise of the forums Zaedoz (love that name for some reason)

The fans I bought to compliment my case, The ATCS from cooler master, are very quiet on max speeds.  I have 2 Enermax Magma fans on the back of the hard drive cage, and on the bottow intake and rear exhaust I have Noctua 120mm fans, also very quiet.  57cfm for the Noctua's, and 69cfm for the Enermax.  Not super airflow, but it compliments the 3 230mm fans very nicely, with barely any noticable noise.  The case is huge.  Lots of room for adding sound insulation (which i have on order).  Only 1 video card (gtx 285) so far along with the silverstone PSU.  The DA1000 is a modular version of the one i have, except the da1000 is modular.  Oh, and there is lots of room for cable management in that case.  I have lackluster skills in that department and i have done a fine job.

I When i was all working (getting a new mobo) with the GPU set at 60% fan speed, all i could hear was a low  hum mainly from the GPU.  My coolermaster V8 was set on auto though.  I have set it at 100% fan speed, bt it was not audible over the GPU.  Temps were awesome after i configured my fan using the string/ribbon method. m The bottom and drive cage fans made an arc that directly fed into the back fan area on the gpu, and also arced up towards the RAM area.  Took awhile to do, but end results are better than I hoped.  Cant wait to get board back, will post pictures at that time.  Haf is the best cooling case for air on market now, just not viable (to me anyways) for a silent solution.  As long as you dont care too much for flashy lights and such, there are several great cases to make a silent PC.

Also, if you want to quiet that GPU down, and are only planning to use 1 gpu, arctic cooling makes hella awesome coolers for most single GPU cards that cool about 20-30 cooler than stock, and are quieter than most high end CPU fans.  Just waiting for the newest one for the GTX 285 to be available stateside.  Maybe, depends on how much quietnes i get from the sound insulation i ordered.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if any more info is needed.  Im out, back to work!

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 1:44pm
@ Mezzeron...  As for the name..."Zardoz"...it's from an old movie with Shawn Connery in which an entire remaining (future) civilization that survives some catastrophe adopts the attitudes/ways of the characters described in one of the few books that remain...  Trouble is the title of the book was badly burned...and the only characters/letters they could make out were WIZARD of OZ...  Then there's the 4-digits on the end...a hold over from the military days (last four of your SSN) --some things are hard to shake.

Thanks for you inputs...really appreciated.  Will check out the case(s)/fans etc...sounds like you're doing a great job on getting yours together--even if awaiting parts--good luck.

Speaking of PSU's...and I'm totally in the dark about them..just learned the difference between "modular" and non-modular--yeah, I'm "current" alright!  Another eye-opener (for me) was someone (in the forum) mentioning that his 1000w PSU was frequently pulling 750-800w during GAME PLAY...and I thought --Good GOD...that's a lot of power--bet you can go outside and watch the meter going around--add air conditioning...and that's $$$.  Good thing I gave up smoking and drinking...now, I can afford games for my computer ha, ha.  Anyway, I came across this a while back..."EVGA working on PSU's @ 1,200 watts and will carry an insane 120 amps on dual 12V rails.  In order to complement the new power design of the EVGA X58 SLI Classified motherboard, they will also feature two 8-pin EPS 12V connectors.  The reason for this approach is to effectively diminish the potential bottleneck on this board when used with high-end GPUs requiring 2 x +12V connectors.  Finally, the design will be cooled by a high-quality 120mm Yate Loon fan, which is impressively quiet in person and will be an ideal choice for quieter enthusiast PC builds.  Two models available--modular and non-modular...there is a majority who prefer modular designs because of cable management benefits."  No word on availability/cost yet.  (Article by Jon Worrel Friday, 09 January 2009...Fudzilla)

With the advent of multiple GPU's/SLI...am hoping one of the next big breakthroughs will be in "cooling"...  It's not like refrigeration is radically new...and it seems that someone/somewhere could miniaturize/adapt existing technology--while addressing the concerns of condensation--withing the (very) near future??  Let's hope.  Got to tame the H-E-A-T generated by some of these (new big/badd) components...which in turn reduces fan noise etc...  Seeems to be a vicious circle doesn't it.

Looking forward to Pics of your rig when you're done/ready... 
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 4:32pm
Thermaltake is currently working on a cooler similar to what you are describing.  I know DST4ME is all about getting one when they come out.  Its actually here on this site somewhere   I am sure DST will chime in with the link.  I think its just for CPU though, not really sure.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 7:19pm
Where's that slip of paper...oh yeah, here it is...Themaltake Xpressar RCB400 Series cooling...

First heard about this in a conversation between Bill Dempsey and DST4ME...and later mentioned it in a post to DST.  Basically, DST didn't see much to talk about--afterall, it wasn't out yet--why speculate--and, rightly so...  Believe you're right--it's just for the CPU...  There's also word out (from ALEX) that DS is working on something too--and should be out sometime in May--not much more to go on than that??  It all sounds good--will be interesting to see how it pans out...  Sometimes reading these forums is like watching the old "serial" movies...little bits of information that can leaving you hanging wondering how it ends...or with the hero tied to the tracks and the train coming.  Tune in tomorrow to see what happens ha, ha...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 7:34pm
Ya I'm waiting for the RCB400 but its forum has been seeming a bit fishy and no update on it either, but I'm still waiting and hopping.

but if does do what it says its gonna be great for a good price.

the RCB400 does only one thing so if you wanted the cpu and gpu you need 2 x RCB400 and that requiers 8 optical bays.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 7:39pm
Wow..."8" optical bays for CPU and GPU...doesn't leave room for much else--does it??.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 9:58pm
lol well I don't have 8 to spare anyways, maybe 4 for the CPU but thats about it

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 6:41am
@ DST...If it's not to forward of me...arn't you waiting to order a new rig...vs. adding/replacing some parts in the one you have?? 

Reason I ask...was wondering if you might share (with the rest of us) the (dream) configuration...along with the parts you're waiting/wanting to come out (i.e. Vertex 2, Thermaltake RCB400, etc...) ??  Heart

Also...what's your opinion on the possibility of having some "cooling device"  that is OUTSIDE (and ported in...) vs. mounted within the case itself...thereby eleminating the need to re-design (bigger) cases to accommodate them...or to (more) easily modify/upgrade older/existing rigs with limited room for expansion??  I realize the "overall" footprint of the comnputer is now bigger (on/under your desk)...but, the concept of individually "rack mounted" equipment--modularized so to speak--might be a possibility??  If I remember correctly...HP has a new computer out  (Firebird) that has the PSU outside the case to save space (within) and eliminate the necessity of fans for cooling it.  Can't help but visualize a bunch of (sealed?) "black boxes" interconnected strung across a desk--if something breaks...disconnect then re-connect a new unit, send (just that, not the whole system) in.  Just a thought.    Smile

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 15 Apr 2009 at 7:14am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:23pm
Yes I'm waiting but if a good part comes out that can enhance my performance I will upgrade to it, this was my original dilemma since my LC system is all customized I was not sure if I should spend that much money in the LC if I'm going to try the rcb400, but then I figured I go all out on the LC, and then wait and see how the rcb400 does, then if its worth it, I will upgrade to it, why not

outside parts are OK but then you have zero mobility and a pain to move the PC, the whole reason everybody started to mount the rad in the box was to be more mobile friendly. I think getting a better case with more room and airflow is a better choice then moving stuff out and if we gonna move anything out it would be the rad first before anything else.

I'm still not final about all parts and details, not sure if all will work together, once I figure all of that out and order I will post the parts I got that could work together, right now basically, looking at a triple GTX rad, gtz heatsink, not sure about the pump yet, going with 3 295 for folding, etcc etc.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Apr 2009 at 2:25pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:48pm
Huuummm, you're right about the "mobility" factor--would make pulling it out from under the desk to dust-out (with all the other devices/parts attached by their cords/tubes) a royal PAIN. 

As for the RCB400...I'm curious to see pic's of a setup/configuration using (2) of them to cover both CPU and GPUs...and what case (they) recommend to mount all this in??

Your parts list sounds (very) interesting...(3) 295's should generate some h-e-a-t. 

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more--what kind of time frame you looking at...or are you waiting for a particular chip etc...to come out?? 

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 15 Apr 2009 at 2:50pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:55pm
lol I was suppose to get my i7 laster November but then I waited for the 295 to come out, this was must for my folding, so it came out in mid Jan, the I said why not wait another month for the classified and now I'm waiting for 17 975, once its out I'm not waiting for anything else. the rest of stuff that will come out I will just upgrade to later.

ya those 3 295s will put out some heat, I'm contemplating what to do with the side fan.

you can watch this video for rcb400 its got 2 of them in 1 system

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Apr 2009 at 2:57pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 4:06pm

Your (waiting) history sounds something like mine--started looking for a new machine around the end of August (2008) to replace my 3rd Dell--knowing only that I didn't want another Dell.  Spent time checking out Voodoo's Blackbird 002...and became hesitent with the rumors of them being swollowed up by HP.  Wasn't much latter that the Blackbird was dropped...and with it I started looking again.  Briefly checked out Velocity Micro...but, ended up (in November) looking/considering Hardcore Computer w/submersion technology as a (radical) possibility.   Up until a couple of months ago was waiting for them to (finally) come out with their i7 version (even now they still haven't)...but, became disenchanted with their slow adaptability...  Add to that, a big concern about their forum's extremely limited interaction of members and customers??  Which led me to start a new search in Feb...and I've got to admit...from the first day of checking out this forum with it's openess and frank responses--knew this was the place.  In the past weeks I've had a chance to read...and talk to others...and get a real feel for what DS is/stands for...but, even more...whether DS's promices of service matched their actions/demands of the customers.  Not to get all mushy or nothing...but, after all my wanderings to other sites these past months I felt like the prodical son coming home--and though I'm still waiting for a couple of items to come to market...I can hardly wait to get a DS machine!! 

I checked out Youtube rcb400 clip...very interesting...will go to their site later to check it out some more...  Sounds like the cost is around  $350-400 per unit out the door.  And with the case they were demonstrating it (two of them in) having eleven drive bays--taking up eight--and leaving three...makes you think about the logistics of the whole thing?

One last thing...it's been some time since my last computer purchase...and therefore researching of hardwarde/software etc...has been low on my list--not to mention other current happenings.  In one of your posts you mentioned "Folding @ Home"...so I decided to look it up...very intriging...how long have you been envolved in it (if I might ask)?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 5:36pm
Damn your story does sound very much like mine, I too have a few Dell system but I have had a few other builders also, like FNW, at the end I wanted a system that had:

quality
performance
upgradable
great customer svc

I kept looking just like you, I wanted full customization so I stayed away from companies that did not have full customization and one by one each had something wrong, mainly quality, then I found DS, been here for a year and have seen first hand how they take care of their customers, so I just been here since, its a great place, I mean any place that allows me for example to tell a customer "don't' get your monitor here, newegg will have better prices", is one hack of a place, I mean I can speak my mind about parts and point out there routes for customers and DS has no problem with it, this tells me that they truly want the best for their customers, thats a type of place I can get behind I don't know any other builder that has this level of service and quality and allows us to be open.

I think Alex does a great job with this forum and its guidelines, I am seriously impressed which is why I stayed

I have been looking at xprssar's forum but it seems a little weired, can't register and they don't respond to my emails either and some of the posts in their forum is obviously from their own team. but I'm still waiting to see what happens, you never know.

been with folding at home since 2003 or 2004, honestly I forget

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Apr 2009 at 2:37pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 9:20pm
@DST  Oh yeah...forgot about FNW...looked there too--bit pricey I thought.

Had to laugh...don't think you noticed but, in the 4 qualities you said you were looking for in a company--you typed "de-gradable" instead of UP-gradable...  Not to worry--we know what you meant.

I've got to admit...when I first started reading this forum...four things were pretty apparent...(1) there were a lot of inputs--questions and answers  (2) You personally (yes, along with others) answered a large volume of posts--yet wern't a DS moderator/employee.  (3) Though there was an occasion (or two) when some disagreed with you--they respected your opinion/advice.  (4) Your total number of posts divided by the time you've been a member--shows real dedication... even more, the large number of responses (personally) thanking you for your help is pretty amazing.  I tip my hat to you. 

I agree too...Alex does an excellent job...like porriage--he's not too hot, too cold, or  (moderating) too often--just the right mix of professionalism with a touch of authority and expertise.

Will have to wait and see what happens with Xpressar...it is strange though--when you don't get responses to your queries--hum?

As for "folding"...was wondering is there such a thing as a DS team--might be interesting?
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 1:43pm
We're all waiting for DST4ME to finally get his system ordered. At one point, somebody suggested he might be a tech support BOT. Smile

I'm actually waiting to see how he likes that cooling system once he gets it. I might swap out my LC for it, if it works really well with no fuss. I like the zero maintenance of it plus the extra cooling power. I'm very worried about condensation though, so I'll wait and let DST4 take the risk first. Broken%20Heart

Alex rocks! Ermm He and the tech guys took great care of me and my problems. Actually everyone on the forums rocks! Good group here.

I saw somebody mentioned the electricity used by these systems. Here's my suggestion. Just replace all of your bulbs with CFL bulbs to offset the cost of running your new system. Or sit in the dark. This system is worth it! Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>