FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where does ds get their parts

Post Date: 2007-09-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
]CS[ Panzer Mail!!! View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ]CS[ Panzer Mail!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: where does ds get their parts
    Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 4:35pm
Where exactly does digital storm get their parts from, because they seem to get a very good price for the parts they buy, plus the fact that i wanna make sure i get the same parts for sli and double the memory in the future

k thanks :D
if you are looking for stupid... dont look... stupid will find you
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 4:57pm
they buy from the manufacturers just like every other retailer / ppl selling on ebay.

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
tummy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tummy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 6:24pm

Just liek SkyR said from the manufacturers or wholesalers... However, they dont resell at a huge margin.... If you look at places like alienware, they charge something like 200+ more than DS for the same CPU......  DS isnt the cheapest boutique shop, you could save hundreds going somewhere else, but I think they are by far the most responsive-- Therefor any problems you will encounter will surely be resolved...  No one wants to have issues, but they do happen....

Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sonofek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by tummy

Just liek SkyR said from the manufacturers or wholesalers... However, they dont resell at a huge margin.... If you look at places like alienware, they charge something like 200+ more than DS for the same CPU......  DS isnt the cheapest boutique shop, you could save hundreds going somewhere else, but I think they are by far the most responsive-- Therefor any problems you will encounter will surely be resolved...  No one wants to have issues, but they do happen....

That's the main reason I went with DS. I could have gotten a comparable rig (with a cool, but not as cool case :P) for $200-300 less at ibuypower. Why didn't I go with them? Because I'd rather pay that extra money, and know that if my $1800 system arrives as a brick, I'll be able to call DS up, and have it taken care of.
If I were to do the same with ibuypower, I'd definitely be a little wary.
tummy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tummy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 10:29pm
Same here from Cyberpower... Which I believe is the same company.

I emailed Cyberpower and asked them why their specials always expire on the same evening, yet never change, and when they have other discounts like Independence day, its the exact same discount as every other day....    Guess what their response was?  Well beats me because they never bothered to answer my question.
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 11:42pm
I actually priced all of the components in my DS build at newegg.com.  I priced everything - from the graphics card to the case, and only by not including shipping would I come out less than what my order is costing at DS.  Without shipping, I was saving about $25 - shipping would have blown that out.
Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sonofek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2007 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by 67alecto

I actually priced all of the components in my DS build at newegg.com.  I priced everything - from the graphics card to the case, and only by not including shipping would I come out less than what my order is costing at DS.  Without shipping, I was saving about $25 - shipping would have blown that out.

I quickly did the same thing, though I think I'm going to do it again, for the fun of it. :P

Edit: The total at Newegg (including 3-day shipping) was just under $1600, clocking in at $1594. My Digital Storm rig was $1847.

That's now telling the full story though. I couldn't find the same keyboard and mouse combo, so I just added the cheapest one, at $8. Though I'm sure the Microsoft one probably doesn't retail for more than $20. And I didn't add the CD/DVD Reader. They only had writers. So, that's another $10-20. Being generous, let's say that all the parts ran me $1620.

That would yield a $227 difference. Normally, I'd say that's a lot, and it is a decent amount. But there are some things you have to consider. I could do  basic things like adding more memory, or a video card, but the thought of putting a whole system together, at least at this point of time, intimidates me.

Secondly, the processor from Newegg is factory set. My Digital Storm one will be overclocked. I'm not sure of the stepping on either at the moment though (I'm really hoping that my DS one is G0, but if it isn't, oh well). Let's just say that the DS price is fair, and subtract $25 from the difference, that brings it to $202.

Onto the return policy. Most of the items I picked out from Newegg had 1-6 year warranties. But that was dealing with the actual Manufacturer. The return policy, for replacement, via Newegg was 30 days-1 year. With DS, I have 3 years, where as far as I know, I'm covered. 

So, all in all, while it definitely would be a bit cheaper to go with the parts, and then building it, I have the peace of mind that my system will run perfectly, and if I have any problems, I have excellent customer service right at my fingertips.

Edited by Sonofek - 17 Sep 2007 at 12:22am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 3:10am

Comparing NewEgg and Digital Storm are two totally different things.

With Digital Storm, your paying for: having it built by a experienced technician in a ant-static environment, strict testing to weed out defective hardware, special packaging materials, free shipping, life-time technical support, dedicated helpful customer service.

Don't forget about your time, and what if something went bad, or a issue you could not figure out.
Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sonofek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Alex

Comparing NewEgg and Digital Storm are two totally different things.

With Digital Storm, your paying for: having it built by a experienced technician in a ant-static environment, strict testing to weed out defective hardware, special packaging materials, free shipping, life-time technical support, dedicated helpful customer service.

Don't forget about your time, and what if something went bad, or a issue you could not figure out.

I agree completely, even if I had all the technical know-how, I'd still probably have you guys build my computer, based upon what I've seen. It's more of a save a few bucks (really not that much) or save an unknown amount of hassle (I guess you could get lucky, and never have a problem with a system, but come on now, stuff happens).

Edited by Sonofek - 17 Sep 2007 at 3:51am
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Sonofek

I quickly did the same thing, though I think I'm going to do it again, for the fun of it. :P

That's now telling the full story though. I couldn't find the same keyboard and mouse combo, so I just added the cheapest one, at $8. Though I'm sure the Microsoft one probably doesn't retail for more than $20. And I didn't add the CD/DVD Reader. They only had writers.

That just it, though - I priced everything, down to the actual brand name.  Only in the case of the media card reader and the network card could I not find the one that DS lists for my order - I priced the exact same case, the arctic cooling fans, the cathode tube, and even the round cables!   In the situations of the ones I couldn't find, I picked the part that I would have ordered, not just the cheapest one. 

Sure, if I went with no-name parts, I'm sure I could find a couple hundred of dollars in savings.  That's another reason I went with DS over Dell - DS actually states who makes their components.

I actually misspoke earlier - the "savings" I would get would amount to $4.  And again, that doesn't include shipping costs for all of those parts.

And Alex hit it on the head - despite any savings I could get from ordering parts, I'm perfectly willing to pay to have my system professionally built.  I built one CPU from scratch, and unless I could actually save about $1000 on another one by building it myself, that one will be my last.  I went through it all - dead parts, merchants ripping me off (had to dispute the charge for my P3 733mhz chip after the merchant simply never sent it and refused to return calls/emails - thankfully, I charged everything), and parts compatability when using bleeding edge parts.

No thanks - DS can deal with that for me Tongue
RogerWIlco View Drop Down

Quote RogerWIlco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 1:51pm

Totally agree with you guys about everthing.  I doubt any other vendor would have been as responsive to the issue I had as DS was.  They came through like a champ!

DS Twister LITE
C2D E6750 2.66GHz
nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad
2GB DDR2 Corsair
1 TB HDD 7200 RPM
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
850W Thermaltake
Razer DeathAdder
Razer Tarantula   
Win7
Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sonofek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 67alecto

Originally posted by Sonofek

That's now telling the full story though. I couldn't find the same keyboard and mouse combo, so I just added the cheapest one, at $8. Though I'm sure the Microsoft one probably doesn't retail for more than $20. And I didn't add the CD/DVD Reader. They only had writers.

I priced the exact same case, the arctic cooling fans, the cathode tube, and even the round cables! 

As did I. :P  I went with the same brand with everything, but both of the writer/reader drives, and the keyboard. For the writer drive, I didn't go with the cheapest. The one I went with was a Sony branded one, for $44. And as I said before, Newegg didn't have plain old reader drives. I would have gone with the brand name for both, but clicking on the information button on the drives just brings me up to the top of the page.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems like people are trying to show me all the reasons why I should go with Digital Storm. I hugely support them, and I was just doing a price check, and posting my findings. Even if I could get the exact same system, in parts, for say $500 less, I'd still go with Digital Storm.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 10:03pm
No problem, and I am thrilled about your decision. Big%20smile
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 10:36pm
Originally I was going to build my new PC myself and buy from newegg, after assembling all the parts that I would need the price was roughly $1400 plus a few rebates. But when you're doing it yourself and you screw up, you have no warranty to get it fixed. You have to pay for the shipping back to newegg and then shipping again to you, let alone have to worry about DOA's.

I have known about DS for a few months after just simply typing gaming computers in the yahoo. And looking around at other companies it was obvious that this was one of the better companies, let alone one of the cheapest. The computer I bought from DS and the one I built on newegg only had a $200-$250 price difference, but with DS I get the customer server and tech support, so I think it's a fair trade.
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Sonofek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sonofek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2007 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by sundowner

And looking around at other companies it was obvious that this was one of the better companies, let alone one of the cheapest. The computer I bought from DS and the one I built on newegg only had a $200-$250 price difference, but with DS I get the customer server and tech support, so I think it's a fair trade.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply