FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which compy to build?

Post Date: 2022-08-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jonathan Berman View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jonathan Berman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which compy to build?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:11pm
I am currently using a Digital Storm PC built a few years ago, and I want a stronger workhorse for my needs.

What I am looking for and need...

Desktop PC
I own a license for Windows 11 64 bit Pro already.

I do video encoding
VR Streaming
A little gaming perhaps, like STRAY recently.
A lot of multi-tasking.

I think my budget cap is around $3000 paying a monthly financing.

Thanks!

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 4:22pm
The experienced configurators will be here soon to help you. They did for me when I just upgraded.

They will steer you right.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Jonathan Berman View Drop Down

Quote Jonathan Berman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 4:36pm
Thanks, Ken.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:17pm
Video encoding is a task that is capable of utilizing multiple threads. So, a multi-core CPU is beneficial.

The Intel Core i7-12700K and Core i5-12600K Review: High Performance For the Mid-Range | AnandTech

Intel CPUs also have the benefit of Quick Sync (encoding/decoding via the IGP(U)) -- which is supported in Handbrake as well as video editors such as Premiere Pro.

As for the graphics card, the mid-range should do nicely. In addition to "VR Ready", Nvidia GPUs also have a dedicated video encoder, which is too supported by Handbrake.

Whether or not improved by a high core count CPU, "a lot of multi-tasking" almost always does require/benefit highly from plenty of RAM.

So, here's a possible config:

Config #: 4463287

Why DDR5? It's a staple feature of "next gen" platforms and "future proofing." There are lots of legitimate debates of whether the investment is worthwhile at this time, specifically, a notably higher cost with hit-and-miss gains. In contrast, as adoption grows and manufacturing processes are refined, the value and performance will continue to rise. Overall, a motherboard is one component you don't want to consider swapping for at least a few generations ahead. My conclusion anyway.

Storage wise: A very fast boot drive is not necessary. However, the high-end NVMe SSDs don't just provide fast loading, they also feature quick small file write and read speeds, which is also great for stuff such as Web browsing (caching), video buffering, etc. The second drive chosen is more of a (somewhat) mass storage: game library, video library, etc. Although, you can bring/transfer drives from your current rig to this new PC, if that's of any interest (e.g., if you already have a HDD dedicated to general video storage). In general, exact storage capacities are difficult to recommend. The needs vary greatly.

The chosen motherboard does not have Wi-Fi or BT included/integrated. I did select an add-on network card with current gen wireless chips. Of course, if you do not need wireless, you can remove that option from the config and save $105.

Edited by MrCheetah - 01 Aug 2022 at 9:18pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 4:35am
That's a very solid build for your needs. I wouldn't change much of anything in your price range. The 3060 Ti is the best bang-for-buck GPU available right now, capable of outstanding 1080p performance, and very good at 1440p.

Feel free to pick a case and stick with the parts recommended. No regrets IMHO.   
 Post Reply Post Reply