FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which PC is right for me?

Post Date: 2020-08-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
foxblizzard View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote foxblizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which PC is right for me?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:41pm
Being completely straightforward, I don't know much about PC gaming. I've always stuck to consoles and I am not super focused on having high-end stuff. I was going to buy a next-gen console but a friend stopped me and sold me on why a PC is better. They also recommended Digital Storm. I'd love some advice on what I should buy. I am thinking of buying in the next few months, and having it run next-gen games at a comfortable performance. I'm on a budget but I should be able to afford the Lynx level 3 by the holidays. Is this a good option for me? I know PCs are more expensive but they are better in the long run. Would a PC at this range be able to comfortably run games for the next couple of years?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 3:30am
On the face of it, the answer to your question is "Yes". PCs, as the nature of the beast, will always outlast consoles in keeping up with the current generation of games.

To give you an anecdotal reference, my "budget" pc that I purchased in early '14 is still playing all of the games that I want with only a few upgrades. Yes, a new "Video Card" (GPU) and extra RAM were necessary, but at 1080p (video resolution) I have no complaints.

So, I would recommend that's the place to start. Get a good idea of a monitor resolution that you'll want to use and build your machine from there. For the everyday gamer 1080p is good enough.. 2K is more expensive with all of it's attendant hardware and requirements and 4k is really only for folks who have no budget and want the best and brightest.

Once you figure out where you want your resolution you'll be able to build a really good PC at a budget friendly price, that will out do even the latest generation of consoles.

But, that's just my 2¢ ... I'm sure others will chime in.

Welcome to DS.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 4:04am
IMHO, the Lynx 3 is an excellent value for gaming at 1080p (1920x1080, aka "high definition") for several years without touching a thing. It has a very powerful CPU that will game well for 5+ years, 16 GB of RAM which will be all you need, and a much, much better than entry level video card that will deliver high frame rates for smooth performance. You could easily get a fine monitor for that system for under $300.

Stepping up to 1400p (2560x1400) would cost you around $1000 more for the GPU and monitor, and is not worth it at all for anyone with budget considerations. I've been gaming 35 years, and the 1080p monitor I've used for 10 years is still all I need. I think the Lynx 3 is the best entry level pick you can get! There may even be some upgrades between now and the Holidays.
 Post Reply Post Reply