FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which photo editing software recommended

Post Date: 2022-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Petergoff View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Petergoff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which photo editing software recommended
    Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:54pm
I've been taking digital pictures for roughly 10 years now but never used any photo editing software such as Photoshop or Gimp to do some post processing.

I've always been shooting Jpeg, but would be interested in shooting RAW and learning the advantages of doing so.

I'm looking to do some color enhancement of pictures I'm taking. Mainly portraits, landscapes and macros.

Also interested in doing some HDR post processing.

Working with layers, keeping an object in color while making the rest of the picture black and white

Doing some photo montage. Take two pictures and place one object in the other to make a new one out of it.

Which software would be easy to start with and where can I find tutorials?

Edited by Petergoff - 05 Oct 2022 at 3:55pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:45pm
There are a large number of options here, but my two cents are thus:

If you can afford the $20 a month subscription the Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop bundle is your best bet.

If you want free, GIMP. Though if you shoot with a Canon, then Canon DPP is an option too. 

Tutorials will depend on which option you pick, but for any sizeable program you'll find more hours of tutorials on YouTube than most of us have left in our lives. 1st party tutorials can also be pretty good and are usually free.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:57pm
Although less powerful than the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle, you might explore Adobe Photoshop Elements 2023, a non-subscription, one-time purchase software for $99.99. I think you can get a free 30-day trial. Don't know if it will handle HDR post-processing, as I have never explored that feature. Tons of online YouTube tutorials.

I have been using Photoshop Elements for over 15 years to do photo restoration work and special photo effects and transformations. The Editor package in this software has served me well as a part-time, professional photo artist. Plus, the Organizer side of this software is a great way to store and tag photos. I currently have about 8,800 photos cataloged in the Organizer.

Be happy to send you examples of some of the work I have done, if you are interested.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:02pm
Adobe has been around for a long time, giving them an advantage of wide support (e.g., add-ons, expansions, third-party tools, and "more hours of tutorials on YouTube than most of us have left in our lives"). However, Adobe seems to be more about selling services and riding on their brand recognition (i.e., a little stagnant regarding fundamental feature progress). Therefore, I recommend looking into:

Affinity Photo

The developer, Serif, does provide tutorials. Nonetheless, found what appears to be a well done YT channel with tutorials:

Affinity Revolution (YouTube)

And Affinity products are a lot cheaper, plus have the option of a free trial.

Reviews and related:

Affinity Photo review: An affordable Photoshop alternative with some compromises | Pop Photo

Serif Affinity Photo Review | PCMag
(Scroll down and read the comments first.)

Affinity Photo | Mac App Store (Customer Reviews)
(Yes, there's a Windows version of the software. This link is to highlight customer reviews.)

I've used PS for many years -- not to its fullest extent admittedly. Even with the struggles of transition (i.e., there's a lot of comparison overhead when it should simply be learning), I think, AP's tools are overall friendlier, 'smarter' then PS.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 5:18pm
Yep, Affinity photo is a good option, especially at $54.99. It does include the Raw and HDR features you asked about.

I looked into that a few years ago and the only reason I did not switch from PSE was that I did not want to learn a new software when PSE was still satisfying all my needs.

I believe Affinity Photo is only an Editor, so it does not have the Organizer feature to tag and store photos like PSE has. That may, or may not, be of importance to you.

Since you are starting from scratch, you will not have to relearn anything, so Affinity Photo would be a good option to explore.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:06pm
I certainly didn't mean to say other apps, such as Adobe Lightroom are not a reasonable option. I've read many users praise it. I have never used Lightroom, therefore, I can't provide any insight or judgement. Adobe does appear to offer a trial. So, it would probably be worth testing.

As pointed out:
Originally posted by Bob100

I believe Affinity Photo is only an Editor, so it does not have the Organizer feature to tag and store photos

For me, foremost, I have significant opposition to software application subscriptions. I'd much rather have the pay a one-time cost if you want the latest major version/release (i.e., upgrade charge/price).
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
GreatSouthernBear View Drop Down

Quote GreatSouthernBear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 5:53pm
Might I suggest ON1 Raw. ON1 Raw contains an HDR, Portrait AI, Effects, Resize AI, and more in one app or if you prefer for a few bucks more you can get ON1 Raw with all of the other features in individual apps with no subscription, fantastic  support, and regular updates It is also cross-platform. The app or apps are hugely flexible and offer all kinds of features.

ON1 also has none of the massive bloatCry inherent with Adobe anything! No Cloud required!!!  In fact you can even get codes to activate the app or apps without an internet connection! Try that with Adobe!

It also builds catalogs etc as part of its default capabilities!

Skylum also has some great choices which also have no subscription requirement and are all excellent with great support... they too are  cross-platform.Love

I recently stopped using Affinity Photo because compared to ON1 it is very limited and updates have been few and not terribly valuable.  Very few enhancements available for it too.

Give ON1 a chance (Free unrestricted trials available)  it is my default and I use it with all of the Skylum apps and have a great time!!!Love
Great Southern Bear
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 8:16pm
@GreatSouthernBear: Nice suggestion. Maybe I'll give ON1 a try.

I had PSE, but it eventually became incompatible with the latest OS. Then Adobe switched to a subscription only model, which was more than enough for me to decide not to upgrade. As a replacement, I was able to get a copy of AP via my former workplace. Because I no longer work there, I can't update Affinity Photo. I have been considering switching to GIMP. However, from my brief use, it feels a little too simplistic and something of a clunky UI.

Edited by MrCheetah - 08 Oct 2022 at 8:17pm

Quote GreatSouthernBear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 3:19am
Originally posted by MrCheetah

I had PSE, but it eventually became incompatible with the latest OS. Then Adobe switched to a subscription only model, which was more than enough for me to decide not to upgrade. As a replacement, I was able to get a copy of AP via my former workplace. Because I no longer work there, I can't update Affinity Photo. I have been considering switching to GIMP. However, from my brief use, it feels a little too simplistic and something of a clunky UI.

Wait until 10/11/2022 because they are issuing an enormous update for even more functionality! You'll be able to get the trial with all of the new stuff then. I strenuously recommend that you buy the whole package (with extensions) as the extensions are the individual apps. An amazing feature is that templates, presets, shies, you name it work in all of the individual apps too.Big%20Smile
Great Southern Bear

Quote GreatSouthernBear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by GreatSouthernBear

Originally posted by MrCheetah

Wait until 10/11/2022 because they are issuing an enormous update for even more functionality! You'll be able to get the trial with all of the new stuff then. I strenuously recommend that you buy the whole package (with extensions) as the extensions are the individual apps. An amazing feature is that templates, presets, shies, you name it work in all of the individual apps too.Big%20Smile

Tomorrow at 10AM Pacific there's going to be a video presentation of the new edition! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRzXKz7BgPk ... you might want to check it out!
Great Southern Bear
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 7:31pm
Thanks for the info update.
 Post Reply Post Reply