FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which program to backup your Onboard RAID!

Post Date: 2009-04-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aperrigo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aperrigo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which program to backup your Onboard RAID!
    Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 1:14pm
As some of you might have wanted to know how to back up a software RAID or the motherboard Onboard RAID.  I have tested many different utilities from a govermental Helix 3 forensics suite, clonezilla, Nero Backitup, windows backup, and symantec ghost version 11.5.

All are great programs on their own accord.  The two that are the most efficient at backing up onboard raids are : Ghost and using the WINPE disk / ROBOCOPY function.  

Now if you have a Hardware RAID controller that is a different issue.  What I am referring to here is the FREE programs available to whomever wishes to use it.

I will post a how to during the summer of this year on this subject and where you can find these softwares for FREE.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 3:32pm
I use Acronis and it does a great job every time, $50 for a life time is nothing, I love Acronis and have no reason to look for freeware for that, to be honest for security and backups I don't use or recommend freeware.

to each his own I guess.

I have had failure with ghost and don't like it as much.
aperrigo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aperrigo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 4:41pm
what I have recommended isn't quite freeware.  Clonezilla, Nero Backit up and Helix 3 are based off linux opensource. Ghost is well Ghost. Not to mention I have had moderate success using GimageX and the ROBOCOPY functions fully available with Windows.  I haven't worked with acronis true imaging software yet, but from what my research indicates, it is one of the higher rated productions.  I have to use Ghost because I work for the Government.  I haven't seen it fail on me. If something did fail it would have been mechanical, like a traditional hard drive.  During the summer, I planned on researching the different backup programs and locate the best ones for the job that can be obtained from the internet.  I was also going to post what the best possible OS install configurations for the upcoming Windows 7.  I am waiting for the RC to become available before proceeding.  Everyone is welcome to their opinion.  I have paid 150-200 dollars for imaging software so I understand anyone's reasoning for not using opensource or Freeware products.  I just thought it would be nice to post something up on the DSO boards for those tight on the budget.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 6:00pm
backing up raid is no different then backing up regular drive, restoring is where the difference comes in.

Its important that I mention that I never use the imaging feature of Acronis or ghost, high failure rate if I do that, I use only the clone feature of Acronis and its very simple and easy, and can even be done free with the trial version.

I have a guide for it here with a visual walk thru and its very simple and easy.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Apr 2009 at 6:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply