FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who makes a good surge protector??

Post Date: 2009-06-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Who makes a good surge protector??
    Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:46pm
I am looking for a new surge protector that i can buy at a store like office max or best buy.  Any idea's? 

Thanks. Ermm

That should read WHO makes.  Not how. Smile

Edited by Ramdurand - 18 Jun 2009 at 8:47pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:51pm
apc is pretty good
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:00pm
Okay i was looking at them at best buy and they have watts on them.  How many watts is enough?  It doesn't go by how many watts your PSU is does it?
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:46pm

Harleyman, is that what you go off of is the wattage of your psu?  How much does 1500V equal to in watts?  200 bucks is more than what i wanted to spend on one.  I know its cheap when your talking 4k on a computer system.  What is the deal with them not being Vista 64 bit capable? 

Also i have an old APC now would that one work?  Old meaning its 9 years old.
GeneralShrooms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GeneralShrooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:00pm
He asked for a surge protector not a backup battery.
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:33pm
So what voltage surge protector would cover a 1000W power source?
GeneralShrooms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GeneralShrooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:39pm
I can't suggest anything, I was wondering the same thing myself. I looked at the backups but I think I would rather go with a regular surge protector. 
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 7:47am
I use this for my home theater in the den (50" Plasma, Blu-Ray Player, CD Changer, Satellite Box and Onkyo Receiver).  All hardware is plugged into the Panamax.  Now this is going to be overkill for your PC, however, you can always use a lesser model Power Conditioner/Surge Protector for the PC.  There are other brands out there but the Panamax is a very good brand for this use.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_299M5400PM/Panamax-MAX-5400-PM.html?search=Panamax+VENDORID299&searchdisplay=Panamax

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Jun 2009 at 7:50am
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:11am

I've been using Monster Power HTS1600...8-outlet, powerCenter with clean Power Stage 2...no complaints.  Got it @ TheNerds.net for $216.49 (w/tax/shipping) last Sept. probably less now.  Doesn't have "battery" backup...but, with power conditioning/stabilization it is suppose to benefit your monitor as well. 

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:29am
Actually its probably better than most other options.  This will regulate the unstable 120v coming out of the wall and feed your rig only what it needs in the draw.  That's probably the best feature on power monitors like these.  Your components never receive anymore than what's required.  I watch the front of my Panamax and the 120v fluctuates within about 4v all the time.  When a power spike hits it, it shuts down all banks and sequentially boots them back up one at at time.  The machines are designed for any type of hardware.  I remember when I hooked it for the first time to my home theater, the sound quality brightened up quite noticeably.  If for no other reason, get one for your home theater.

I know you know this,HM, I'm just going through this for others that may not know. 

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Jun 2009 at 10:33am

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:44am
Originally posted by EdH63

Actually its probably better than most other options.  This will regulate the unstable 120v coming out of the wall and feed your rig only what it needs in the draw.  That's probably the best feature on power monitors like these.  Your components never receive anymore than what's required.  I watch the front of my Panamax and the 120v fluctuates within about 4v all the time.  When a power spike hits it, it shuts down all banks and sequentially boots them back up one at at time.  The machines are designed for any type of hardware.  I remember when I hooked it for the first time to my home theater, the sound quality brightened up quite noticeably.  If for no other reason, get one for your home theater.

I know you know this,HM, I'm just going through this for others that may not know. 

10-4 on ALL that Ed... and your observation that the power fluxuates (wildly) in some cases/areas is too true.  Like you, I've watched mine vary all over the place.  Your findings on sound quality is true on picture quality too...stabilization being the key word.  My HTS1600 is near/at the bottom of the pile with it comes to Monster Power...several units above--of course, price shoots up considerably too.  Ouch
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:54am
Thanks for your help guys.  I still don't know what one to get.  HM i went on that website to figure out how much juice you need and some of the stuff i didn't know the answer to so i didn't do it. Smile

ED thats a sweet piece but to rich for my blood. I was looking to spend at the most 150 bucks. 
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 11:56am
I hear ya on the price.  Merely a suggestion and an option.  If you can find a cheap one, go for it.  I know this is still out of the price range you've stated, but something to consider.  These components are well worth there price simply because they work.  And, they will replace your equipment if it gets fried due to failure.  My attitude is this, I vest a considerable amount of money into hardware that performs to the standards that I've chosen to live with.  There is no question in my mind whether or not I will want the best power supplies and conditioners to assure that the equipment performs according to my standard.  You spend that money for performance and quality, so have the components that will enhance and secure your investment.  My outlook on  that is that they go hand in hand... no options.

It's much like buying a brand new 50" HDMI 1080P flat screen TV for the den.  Why would I want a cheap surge protector and component cabling?  If I'm going to buy a product that potentially gives me the best sound and picture reproduction, why then would I diminish my purchase, and the experience I'm about to embark upon while watching it, by hooking it up with cabling and power supplies that would contradict the whole concept of this awesome technology.  Before I purchase, I'm going to make sure I'm thinking of all the ancillary things that orbit that purchase that will make my experinece with that purchase as good as it gets.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_299M5100PM/Panamax-MAX-5100-PM.html?search=Panamax+VENDORID299&searchdisplay=Panamax

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Jun 2009 at 12:10pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 12:59pm
Ed...your point(s) about taking into consideration ALL the "ancillary" things that go with your product/purchase is an excellent point...and one that many overlook in the beginning.  Like buying a computer...if you spend your last dime on bleeding edge equipment...only to find out you don't have enough left to buy the new games you want--then you mis-judged the expense of owning it.  Not pointing a finger at anyone, only confirming Ed's point...that the whole picture (in owning something) has to take into consideration protecting and maintaining too.  And, not to be too burdensome here...but, something(s) you can cut corners on/do without...others (like Mortgage Insurance on your home/loan) you can't.  The choice is yours. 
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 1:18pm
HOLD UP guys it really depends on what hes doing if u just wanna shut down your computer you dont need all that. if u wanna run it through a strom or a power outtage or something thats diffrerent  we have a battery back up APC and its 550 watts and runs more than just the desktop. ITshould be more like this

low watts........... to safely turn your computer off after power out/ surge

high watt ........... to run it through a storm

ask business ppl they get those high watts cuz during a power out they will still have apps and such on a computer to finish ,but for me and you all we need is low watts. a low watt probably wont cost no more than 120 and thats at office depot [their always overpriced (i know i worked there)]. I agree with the others yes u should go with a battery back up vs a surge protector the back up will do it better and give u a couple of min power. its just the question of are u gonna try and play through the storm or or u just wanting to safely put your computer off, int the end the high watts usually not worth it i think a 1500 or 1200 watt at office depot was extrmemly heavy and cost about 300$ and that doesnt include the price of the battery wen it goes dead. A standard surge protector wont do that its will still likely fry all your components

Edited by inferno23 - 19 Jun 2009 at 1:21pm
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 1:22pm
I am just looking for one thats not going to fry my system.  Most likely i wouldn't be doing anything in a storm with it.  Just a basic shut down. 
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 1:35pm
y a 900 if he just want to shut down a 550 should give him enough power to shut down and wont cost as much. also im a big best buy fan and i worked at office depot and i know both are extremely high priced. I buy for BB all the time b/c of the selection and im a rewardzone member, but i think itd be cheeper to go somewhere else, id go to walmart 1st
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 1:41pm
nvm walmart only sells theirs online

best buy has a 550 for 60.00$

New! APC - 550VA Battery Back-Up System - Black

Model: BE550G | SKU: 9307788

Up to 65 minutes battery backup; 8 outlets; high-efficiency charger; phone, fax, modem, and DSL protection.

a 900 is 130.00

heres a website that can help u better decide http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&subid=5

APC - 900VA Battery Back-Up System

Model: BX900R | SKU: 7842588

8 outlets; 80-minute battery backup; USB and serial connectivity; protects phone, fax and modem lines from surges

4.2%20of%205 4.2 of 5 (13 reviews)

Edited by inferno23 - 19 Jun 2009 at 1:43pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by inferno23

HOLD UP guys it really depends on what hes doing if u just wanna shut down your computer you dont need all that. if u wanna run it through a strom or a power outtage or something thats diffrerent  we have a battery back up APC and its 550 watts and runs more than just the desktop. ITshould be more like this

low watts........... to safely turn your computer off after power out/ surge

high watt ........... to run it through a storm

ask business ppl they get those high watts cuz during a power out they will still have apps and such on a computer to finish ,but for me and you all we need is low watts. a low watt probably wont cost no more than 120 and thats at office depot [their always overpriced (i know i worked there)]. I agree with the others yes u should go with a battery back up vs a surge protector the back up will do it better and give u a couple of min power. its just the question of are u gonna try and play through the storm or or u just wanting to safely put your computer off, int the end the high watts usually not worth it i think a 1500 or 1200 watt at office depot was extrmemly heavy and cost about 300$ and that doesnt include the price of the battery wen it goes dead. A standard surge protector wont do that its will still likely fry all your components

This isn't necessarily the point.  If you discern this, looking at what the underlying current is and not just the surface view, then you will understand that one, there are people, like me (and maybe him), that leave their system on 24/7 and at any given time could run the risk of the unannounced power outage.  Two, there are pieces of equipment that run in standby and that equipment is at risk also.  Nevertheless, it is simply my opinion, and others, that may or may not persuade the OP to purchase a piece of hardware like this.  If he deems it necessary then he will do what it takes to secure the purchase.  My intent here is not to guess what his needs are in this category, rather offer options that he could place within the veritable smorgasbord of answers and suggestions, including yours. 

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Jun 2009 at 2:05pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 2:09pm
that point is noted but that % of ppl is prob small when u talk about gaming computers prob around 15%. Dunno about u but id never leave a 3k cpu on all day. especially since it will draw alot of power. so thats what i suggested. ALso i never said what he should get but i did say it depeends on weather or not u want it to run during the storm or if u just want it to turn it off. he did say just to turn it off ( its still shouldnt take that long unless ure not even in the house which would be a potential danger risk if your computers still runnnig and ure 15 miles away)
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by inferno23

that point is noted but that % of ppl is prob small when u talk about gaming computers prob around 15%. Dunno about u but id never leave a 3k cpu on all day. especially since it will draw alot of power. so thats what i suggested. ALso i never said what he should get but i did say it depeends on weather or not u want it to run during the storm or if u just want it to turn it off. he did say just to turn it off ( its still shouldnt take that long unless ure not even in the house which would be a potential danger risk if your computers still runnnig and ure 15 miles away)

I really couldn't quantify that percentage either low, nor high because I don't know.  I'd kinda like to know how you quantify 15%.  I personally couldn't even begin to give a percentage to quantify that number of people in the (US, world, universe)?  I'm sorry to analyze this to the hilt, I just have a hard time understanding folks that paint broad strokes when making their points. 

Lots of folks leave their 3k, 4k, 5k... computers on.  It's a matter if you think you're going to suffer more wear and tear on your rig turning it off and on as opposed to just leaving it on.  There was a discussion on this awhile back, I believe, before you came on board here in these forums.  I personally believe that there is more wear and tear on a computer by booting it up and down on a regular basis, but that's just my opinion. 

My last rig stayed on for 5 years 24/7 and never missed a beat, so the assumption that wear and tear is worse by leaving it on vs. booting it up and down every day is going to be very hard to quantify.  I can tell you from my experience that it didn't seem to shorten the life span of my rig considering the hours I got out of it and the expected average life expectancy of a system.

I know you never said that you are saying what he should get, I don't believe I alluded to that at least, rather I've based my observations on my opinions.  And the amount of power a PC draws leaving it on all day is minimal based on actuarial data.

Edited by EdH63 - 19 Jun 2009 at 4:28pm
Vipersneak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vipersneak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 2:52pm
Actually there are back-up power supplies that will turn your computer off for you in the middle of the night if there is a surge. 

For $150 check out this 1350 VA from Newegg:
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.0 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB
8 Gb of Corsair Vengence 1600
nVidia 670 FTW
120 Gb Corsair GTX SSD
1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD (3gb/sec)
800 watt Corsair GS PSU
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 6:40pm
Gah! A Cyberpower made battery .. get it away! get it away!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 6:45pm
Cyberpower?
Vipersneak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vipersneak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 7:51am
Is Cyberpower bad?  Let me know so I don't get one.
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.0 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB
8 Gb of Corsair Vengence 1600
nVidia 670 FTW
120 Gb Corsair GTX SSD
1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD (3gb/sec)
800 watt Corsair GS PSU
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 8:01am
I like those faces DST!  I ended up getting a Furman clean power surge protector. 
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 8:55am
Thats a good question Harleyman lol.  It says Power conditioner with SMP+  Technology.  Here is the link if you want to look at it.  Seems like it will work fine for me.  http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=PST-8
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 9:26am
I guess with the brown outs like the AC going on, our house is pretty small and we don't even notice when the AC kicks in.  I think its a nice surge protector.  Hopefully never have to find out. Cry
Ramdurand View Drop Down

Quote Ramdurand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 9:41am
Yup. Ermm
Mikey14 View Drop Down

Quote Mikey14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Vipersneak

Is Cyberpower bad?  Let me know so I don't get one.
Cyberpower?  Bad? With a name like that it screams bad.  lol DST's facesSmile
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by satsunada

Gah! A Cyberpower made battery .. get it away! get it away!

lol, they make lots apparently thats y i took away my wal-mart sugesstion it only had cyber powerBig%20smile.
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 6:06am
I bought several high quality units from this guy. Here is the site. At the very least the site gives you an Idea of what is available.

I think I mentioned this in another post but I am using a SmartUps 1500 for this rig ( only the computer itself, 1000 watt PSU ).  I can overload it using Futermark Vantage programs. The monitors and related are run on a seperate UPS. I wish there was a cheap 3 KVA out there.

Edited by [email protected] - 23 Jun 2009 at 6:19am
Fusion - clean energy

inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 11:34am
hopefully u dont mind me asking but what in the world kinda computer u have that needs a 3,000 watts back up??? i doubt the supercomputer has one of those. U might as well buy a back up power generator for your house
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 7:39pm
Thats were the jargon gets confusing. A 1500 KVA is not 1500 watts. Depending on the power factor of the UPS it can range from 980-1200 watts. I have a 1000 watt PSU in this rig wich pushes the UPS to the Limit.  With a 3 KVA I would be able to run the computer and monitors on the same UPS.

Update: I just looked my model up. APC SmartUps 1500 is

Output Power Capacity
980 Watts / 1440 VA
Max Configurable Power
980 Watts / 1440 VA
Nominal Output Voltage
120V

Edited by [email protected] - 23 Jun 2009 at 7:48pm
Fusion - clean energy

Post Reply Post Reply