FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

whuy is digital storm so overpriced?

Post Date: 2009-08-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
b0b9 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote b0b9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: whuy is digital storm so overpriced?
    Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:09am
I was just looking at the starting price of the base configuration, and reliased that you guys were charging 1700 dollars for a i7 920 and a gtx 275. On alienware you can buy a computer witha i7 920 2x gtx 285 sli and 6 gb of RAM for 1750 dollars. Why are the starting prices for configurations so high here?
b0b9 View Drop Down

Quote b0b9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:19am
although some of your prebuilts are not overpriced
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:46am
because alienware is not as good of a PC.

is the alienware OCed to 3.8? what brand of PSU/ram/mobo are they using?

you can't upgrade alienware like you can with these custom PCs.

these PCs have better quality parts, DS has a million times better customer service.

alienware is not a custom build, and upgrading them will void the warranty.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Aug 2009 at 9:46am
b0b9 View Drop Down

Quote b0b9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:47am
okay those are acctually good reasons
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:48am
We know, we all didn't come here to buy are PCs just for the heck of it these systems are much better and in the long run actually end up saving us money
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:50am
1) I configured a PC on Alienware's website according to your specs and it cost $1,899 not not $1750

2) Alienware PC's come with a standard 1 year warrenty DS rigs come with 3 years standard warrenty.

3) DS offers free overclocking Alienware does not offer overclocking.

4) DS offers free shipping in the US alienware does not.
Phoolish View Drop Down

Quote Phoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 10:27am

When I was trying to decide between the Extreme 3 build and a custom one, I went to my local Fry's and priced out the same system, component by component. I added everything up and calculated tax. The only component Fry;s did not have was the asetek liquid cooler so I took a price for that online. My results?

(note this is for the first extreme 3 prebuilt DS had up and not the current one although they are very similar)

If I was to purchase it through DS and have the 3 year warranty option it was $2748 with free shipping.

If I built the exact same system myself from Fry's components it would cost me $2948.

$200 more to do it myself, and that also does not include the guaranteed 4.0 overclock, the windows 7 upgrade or the 3 year warranty or lifetime support.

Obviously you could do it cheaper by shopping via newegg etc, but this example really illustrates the value that DS offers. I decided to go with a custom system myself, but I did not think twice about the money I am paying over another company or doing it myself. I am confident my system will rock and I am equally confident if anything is wrong DS will bend over backwards to make it right.
b0b9 View Drop Down

Quote b0b9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 10:39am
when i said it cost 1750 i meant with the wartime eddition, i think i actually see that DS is a gopod value i have not seen one bad review
jean luc picard View Drop Down

Quote jean luc picard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 12:07pm
Digital storm also has an a+ rating with the BBB,i seriously doubt that alienware does.But in all honesty before you make judgements you should do your home work first.Try comparing all the companys ratings and customer reviews and then make a judgement. We all didnt come here to say we overpayed for a rig.We came here cause we did our homework and found that digital storm is actually the best deal out there.

Edited by jean luc picard - 28 Aug 2009 at 12:12pm
INTEL I7 920 OCED 3.5 GHZ
6 GB DDR3 MUSHKIN RAM 1333 MHZ
DUAL GTX 275 SLI
750 WATT PS
500 GB WD HDx2 RAID 0
WINDOW'S VISTA HOME premium
ANTEC 902 TOWER
ACER 23IN 1920/1080 rez
EVGA X58 LE
aceboy44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aceboy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 12:21pm
I agree, DS is a good company but I guess that high quality customer service and product comes at a price Angry
jean luc picard View Drop Down

Quote jean luc picard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 12:34pm
Plus,wouldnt you rather pay a few extra dollars knowing your going to get a quality product that has been thoroughly tested and benchmarked before it even gets to you?Wouldnt you rather have a 3 year warrenty that far outways the competitors warrenty?All alienware is about is quantity and thier warrenty is not as good as ds and its for less time.
INTEL I7 920 OCED 3.5 GHZ
6 GB DDR3 MUSHKIN RAM 1333 MHZ
DUAL GTX 275 SLI
750 WATT PS
500 GB WD HDx2 RAID 0
WINDOW'S VISTA HOME premium
ANTEC 902 TOWER
ACER 23IN 1920/1080 rez
EVGA X58 LE
poppwoof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poppwoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 12:41pm
Embarrassed year warranty  comes to mindStarSmile
Poppawoof
poppwoof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poppwoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 12:43pm
don't forget the 3 year warrantyCry
Poppawoof
VaMage View Drop Down

Quote VaMage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 2:44pm
Free overclocking? I'm new and considering D.S., as in 90% + sure, but the config page shows Stage 1 overclock as costing $45, and Stage 2 as $199, under the 4Ghz section.

Am I missing something, or maybe a promo code?

Thanks,

VaMage
American by Birth but Southern by the Grace of God.
VaMage View Drop Down

Quote VaMage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 2:56pm
I'm spec'ing up a new system, and using NewEgg as baseline, except for hard drives because I want to compare retail not OEM, the cost differential for my current config is around $700+. That is D.S. will cost me around $700 more then building it myself from parts. I'm leaning very hard toward paying D.S. to do it because frankly they can do a better job with cables, air cooling, aesthetics, etc then I have the time or patience for, and of course the warranty. 

I say around because I've still got some questions pending with sales as to which brand of video card I would get, there is huge difference between Sparkle and EVGA, and which model number of Mushkin RAM I would get, Model #998692 Redline is a bit better and costs a touch more then Model #998691. Sales assures me that I can get a D0 stepping 920 which might cost a touch more then a C0, but it's difficult to do apples to apples on it because of NewEgg not D.S. Not to mention I'd pay a bit more for to be sure of getting the D0. There are a few other parts, like DVD's that are generic, which is why I can't say exactly.

Jingping View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jingping Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 3:28pm
They were referring to the prebuilds when discussing free overclocking.

Wait for the desktop prebuild refresh to come out this Monday first before making any decisions.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 4:46pm
Overpriced??

Smile

You got to be kidding!  Digital Storm is extremely highly rated by the BBS and their dream computers work perfectly right out of the box.  There is NO better custom builders to my knowledge.  Spend a few weeks on this forum and you will see what your premium dollars entitle you too.

This IS the best computer custom builders hands down in the world!!  Just no doubt about it!!

Ermm

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
VaMage View Drop Down

Quote VaMage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 8:33pm
OK, that makes sense, thanks.

I'll do that, wait until Monday, but I doubt it, no way on earth I'm paying for a copy of Vista with a Win 7 upgrade version. I went through that back in the day with Win 98, so no thanks, I'll just go buy a full retail of Win 7 on Oct. 22nd.

Which is another good reason to buy from D.S. they have more "No Thanks" options, INCLUDING AND ESPECIALLY Windows licenses!

(Under the current Win 7 upgrade version you will have to reinstall Vista and THEN upgrade it using the Win 7 disk, every single time you want a fresh install with virtually any kind of hardware change. Win 98 put us through that crap with 95, and for all I know so did XP over Win98, but by then I'd learned my lesson, so never again.)
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 10:19am
I had an Alienware, and dealt with Alienware tech support...although years ago...I'm still traumatized by that experience!!!!
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
INTELCORE EXTREME 4960X 3.6GHZ
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
16GB DDR3 1866MHZ CORSAIR VENGENCEPRO
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
256GB SSD SAMSUNG 840 PRO
2 SLI DUAL NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 3GB
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 3:28pm
I also want to add, your paying for that premium.

If you want the lowest price, then obviously the business that offers you the product is going to cut a lot of corners in build quality, parts, testing, packaging, customer service, and technical support.

Purchasing a computer is an investment. Buying from Digital Storm pays for these extra reassurances knowing the company will stand behind the product and ensure the customer is happy with it.
notalent View Drop Down

Quote notalent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:42pm
I'm seriously considering purchasing one of your systems very shortly. I am making sure I have the right funds for one of the pre-builds.

I have been deciding between one of DS's systems and Alienware's Wartime Edition X58. The Alienware has a very good price. However, the CPU is not overclocked, and their warranty does not allow this. What's funny is the Dell XPS line does say that a user can overclock, although the BIOS will need to be reset if one would need to send it in for repairs. Also the XPS is $500+ over the Alienware (I thought Alienware was supposed to be Dell's "high-end" line, go figure).

As such, I priced out everything and even if it costs a few hundred dollars more, I'd rather have the peace of mind that the builder will be able to help in a decent amount of time versus getting transferred back and forth between different tiers of customer support to get a resolution.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 3:30pm
Doesnt alienware have a D- in BBB reviews and DS have like an A+++ jk i think they hae a B+ but they should have an A+++
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 3:40pm
I believe DS still has an A+ at BBB. Rock on DSO!

Edited by Sodius - 13 Sep 2009 at 3:41pm
Clocks View Drop Down

Quote Clocks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 12:02am
Having just checked myself, DSO does indeed still have an A+.

You know this is really one of the big reasons I gravitated here. I was looking at iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC. I could get the same hardware cheaper there, it is definitely true.

I have a lot of experience in the internet world professionally including a variety of different industries experience.

I tend towards the skeptical in part because of it. I pulled the BBB on all three of these firms and Ava Direct as well.

Ava Direct has too high a premium, not enough flexibility, not enough options, and seems to be missing some obvious up to date options I would have expected in some of the packages.

IbuyPower and CyberPowerPC have HUNDREDS of complaints! Some of which are never resolved! On one of the two, i forget which, the BBB itself added one of thier cautioning dialogs as part of thier business reviews indicating that customers need to be careful purchasing from the retailer and go extra steps to get everything in writing.

DSO has a pittance of complaints with near 100% resolution rate and have maintained an excellent BBB rating for something like 5 years. Further, unlike the other etailers i researched, I couldnt find anything anywhere that someone had a problem and DSO didnt make a good faith effort to fix things.

The only problem i found at all that really raused my risk profile with this site was an issue where someone appeared to go back and forth with DSO support requests like 3 times. Even in that case, the customer was eventually taken care of.

That kind of support deserves a premium to cover the support cost and to reward the business for supporting customers like that.

There are limits to where an individual will consider that premium justified. Where that limit is is a personal decision for each customer. As has been stated in several threads, your best values with DSO are going to be their package offerings, there is a pretty good variety for folks to pursue according to their needs.

Edited by Clocks - 14 Sep 2009 at 12:03am
-Clocks
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 11:37pm
I custom built my dream machine from Digital Storm.  I love it and am very happy with its performance and stability.  I will admit now that the new high end pre-builts would have tempted me to pick one of them.  The prices on the pre-builts are absolutely incredible!!!!

I still would have wanted a few special pieces in mine but for the price of the high end pre-builts you can add your own toys after you get it and still save a ton of money.

I am so thankful that I bought a Digital Storm quality computer.  I was tempted by Ibuypower but unfortunately they have had a lot of customer complaints and they just simply didn't offer the quality and stable overclocking etc that Digital Storm can do.

You can't go wrong with Digital Storm!  It is that simple.  Spend a few weeks in the forum and you will see what a professional organization DS is.  It is quite impressive to see the inital doubts that we all have when first interacting with a company, then later see the converts so pleased with their new beasts.

The true test is when a problem occurs.  I have watched and followed every single problem reported on this forum resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.  This is the true measure of professionalism!!!!!!!!!

Ermm 

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 14 Sep 2009 at 11:42pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply