FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why is RAM so Expensive?

Post Date: 2011-03-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
4261 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Why is RAM so Expensive?
    Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:49pm
From Newegg:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C9  Now: $74.99

Upgrading from 4MB to 8MB here is $167.00

maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:55pm
i got 2x4gb 8gb 1600mhz ram for $60 including the rebate let me see if i can find a link. i'll edit in a second if the deal is still lasting.

yea its still up $70 for 8gb 4gbx2 ram 1600mhz. the voltage is a little high so you can't oc it but for the price its a good deal. Plus you get a free 4gb flash drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220558
It was $60 for me because i was using a 15% off promo code for that day only on all ram.

You building your own computer?

Edited by maxyme - 13 Mar 2011 at 5:00pm
Steam:pcmaster160
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:59pm
Its expensive because your buying corsair. and updated it with a link.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:01pm
Your paying for a name brand, always more. And im assuming DS has a markup for each product they sell, a company buys so and so amount of product usually receiving a small discount and then marks it up to get a profit.

Altho, you know that kit is 4GB right? and at the bottom you mention you want 8GB, so 2 kits x 75$ = 150$ + shipping your talking about the same.
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:04pm
Not building, just pricing.  I keep reading that ram is dirt cheap in Maximum PC and then I see $167 to go from 4 GB to 8 GB Whoa
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Divine

Altho, you know that kit is 4GB right? and at the bottom you mention you want 8GB, so 2 kits x 75$ = 150$ + shipping your talking about the same.

The DS UPGRADE from 4 -> 8 GB is $167
so 4 GB IS $167!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:12pm
With DS they give you quality ram which is good and bad its going to last a while but also costs a lot more. Thats why i'm building my own rig, you can use newegg's sales ect. So I can build a rig for $1000 when it would cost $1800 here because i can get the cheapest of everything. it won't last as long or have the warentee but its something to think of if you are on an extreme budget.
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by maxyme

With DS they give you quality ram which is good and bad its going to last a while but also costs a lot more. Thats why i'm building my own rig, you can use newegg's sales ect. So I can build a rig for $1000 when it would cost $1800 here because i can get the cheapest of everything. it won't last as long or have the warentee but its something to think of if you are on an extreme budget.
My budget is ~ $2000.  I just don't like paying $167 for an $80 product Upset
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:23pm
I agree that's why I'm building my own.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 12:47am

@4261,

First off, thank you for choosing Digital Storm. I agree, no one would want to pay double for something for no reason. It may be that the price for the memory originally was higher, and now outlets such as NewEgg may have received special pricing on the memory, or the price recently dropped. If you can email me the configuration ([email protected]) and the details ont he price thing you are talking about, I'll have our team check it for you and correct if it we can.

Also, as a side note, when you pick Digital Storm, there are a ton of things that add to the cost of items (not just the cost of the actual part only). For example, each item has other cost factors such as our rent, employee wages, advertising costs, marketing, etc...

However, in the end, we would love to have you as a customer. Not only because you will get a system that will blow your mind, but, you know that you got a quality product backed by people that do care about your satisfaction. Big%20Smile
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:25am
Thanks Alex.  My nic is my 1st DS computer number.  I'm back for seconds Big%20Smile
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Divine

I said : Upgrading from 4GB to 8GB here is $167.00

I don't want to get banned from here, but what is your level of comprehension?
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 10:39pm

OK number 1, I stay up really late so I probably over thought it...number 2 no reason to lash out at me, considering nothing in my comment had any hidden sarcasm...number 3 if you really want to start a pissing war im down...anyone that doesn't understand the basics of marketing and sales has no legit reason to ask another person what their level of comprehension is! For example, each item has other cost factors such as our rent, employee wages, advertising costs, marketing, etc. This should be a no brainer to anyone who made it out of HS, newegg, buy.com, amazon buy directly from the manufactures usually in bulk and mark it up to gain a profit as well, the only difference is they all sell thousands of products and can reduce the price to make a good sale, or to get a product that isn't selling to sell for what little profit they still can or to get it out for a newer model. There is also a method that is used by a few companies called "the pull in" which is where they offer a product at no gain to them to try and drive customers to their business. The reasoning behind this is they figure if you come there for that particular product you may be influenced to buy something else as well. Hell im 22 and only a HS grad and I know this, yet you ask me about my intelligence and comprehension...pssh

Now if you still want to mock my intelligence, I can sit here and type up every little detail I can on sales and marketing...I don't like being lashed at especially when I do nothing to deserve it.

Edited by Divine - 16 Mar 2011 at 11:07pm
ironmb View Drop Down

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:31pm
It's not just the initial "upgrade 2 more sticks" some mother boards dont have tri-channel, some only dual... Price of RAM i could care less about honestly lol... but i can understand people with tight budgets.
 Post Reply Post Reply