FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

will an upgrade to Win7 Pro cause any OC issues?

Post Date: 2012-07-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: will an upgrade to Win7 Pro cause any OC issues?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 2:26pm
Call me cautious, but I thought I would check here before doing the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" from Win 7 Home to Win7 Pro on my son's overclocked P67 Ode Level 3.  Any potential here for screwing things up with the OC, or should I go ahead with the upgrade? 
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 2:31pm
Hmm I don't think you should have a problem. Curious why do you want to upgrade it
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 2:35pm
The virtual XP download program allowed with the upgrade might help me run some programs that have not updated to work with Win 7.  Big%20Smile 
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 3:34pm
I bet your son hates sharing that nice computer
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
Lol... I just do the buying and interrupt him for upgrades & occasional system admin chores for his system... He's on that Ode about 15 hrs every day..loves it! Overclocking is new for me, so I try to ask around before making changes that could shut him down.

Next month it's finally my turn.... I plan to order a nice DS X79 rig.....
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 4:34pm
Suggest going with the 3820 and then have extra cash for the upgrade to ivy bridge e in a few months
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:32pm
You do have a point sir, but I liked what I have read on the i7 3930k. I don't think I'll be able to upgrade anything for a few years, so for me the 3930k is a long term performance choice.

There is always an improved piece of hardware just around the corner....but this rig should do all the jobs I'm after now and still be a quality fast platform when it needs upgrades several years down the road. I think I put some smart components in this box....:-)

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair 650D
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (PhysX) (FTW Overclocked EVGA)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers)
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Office Home and Business (PC Attach Key PKC)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:41pm
Why the 2 different sizes on the regular hdd 500gb and 1tb. Good choice for ssd I still recommend the vertex 4 especially with the new firmware good sequential reads and writes and massive random 4k iops 256gb goes for 209 on newegg so pick up 2 and put them in raid 0 waiting on my second drive so I can do the same
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:24pm
Storage drive, and backup. The 1 TB drive is the backup drive.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:44pm
Quite a performance rig you have there man. The 800D is a great huge case. Impressive with water blocks on the 680's and everything else! Too much plumbing for me.... I'll stick to the sealed coolers...lol.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Call me cautious, but I thought I would check here before doing the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" from Win 7 Home to Win7 Pro on my son's overclocked P67 Ode Level 3.  Any potential here for screwing things up with the OC, or should I go ahead with the upgrade? 

Nope, the OC will be just fine!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 9:19pm
Excellent... Much appreciated....
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 9:34pm
If you have a chance let us know how the upgrade turns out 
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 7:32am
I'll be watching too
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 11:54am
Thanks for the input gang.
Upgraded from Win 7 Home to Win 7 Pro without any issues!
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 12:55pm
Congrats.

Also, about the PC; if you want to save a bit, and get a better processor, early next year, Haswell is coming out, and from the look of it, Haswell chips should be at least 50% faster than Ivy Bridge, which would put them well above the 3820, and possibly above the 3930 and 3960. However, assuming that Intel keeps the same pricing, their should be processors the equivalent of the highest SBEs selling for $200-300. If cost and speed are concerns, and you can wait four months, I would recommend it. Also, the new generation of GPUs should come out in that time, so that would help, too.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 5:47pm
Thanks for the very reasonable suggestions Orange...and everyone here. I have had no PC of my own to use now for many months (keep getting kicked off my wifes Qosmio laptop and the son's DS Ode 3) so I really can't delay this much longer. I have to go a long time between builds, and while I would want to update a new build to the next gen Intel processor if it does perform as well by comparison as rumored, I may not be able to spring for a new CPU quite so soon. I wouldn't be happy getting stuck with the 3820 long term. I figure the 3930k should allow me to hit the performance levels I want for Lightroom /Photoshop, multitasking and handle triple screen gaming well. If I were to be able to upgrade to the next gen CPU late next year, then I'd have a strong 6 core 3930k CPU spare available to start a second build with....

I have reconsidered and tweaked my earlier planned build a bit though.

Changing to the outstanding Corsair 800D case, and will use the DS option to add a fan intake over the graphics cards in the side window. Guess that option isn't possible to mod the 650D window, and I don't care for the full mesh replacement version COrsair offers. Going to use the new Corsair Neutron 240's in RAID 0 as my C drive...great review on overclock3d compares it's tested performance very favorably with the more expensive Intel 520's. A little risk in reliability going with the new Corsair drives but worth a try in my opinion.

I'm researching the monitors on TFT Central & PRAD, but I plan to go after 3 Dell Ultrasharp (2410 or 2412m) or 3 Asus Pro Art (PA246q or PA248q) IPS 24" at 1920 x 1200. Leaning towards the less expensive E-IPS 2412 or 248Q panels with LED-W back lights that should also seriously reduce power use & heat generation of 3 panels. At 5760 x 1200 or 3600 x 1920 resolution, I think I should probably spend a bit more for a pair of the NVidia 680 4gb cards to drive them at best possible frame rates.. (Saw a thread that several cards of the NVidia 700 series in 2013 will have 3GB vram on board instead of 2gb in a nod to the increase of vram use by heavily modded games such as Skyrim, game designers using more vram in future plans, and proliferation of inexpensive multi monitor gaming)

I'll try to post the build but I hope to get it all hashed out and ordered in the next two weeks.   
 Post Reply Post Reply