FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will i be able to game well with this?

Post Date: 2010-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yaright35 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yaright35 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Will i be able to game well with this?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:37am

My budget $3000 or lower

I expect my computer to be able to pull off great FPS on most if not all of todays games, and years before games.

This computer  will be for 95% gaming, 5% watching videos/music. some games i plan to play are, F.E.A.R 3, Black ops ( cod) Battlefield bad company 2, mostly just FPS games and some RPG ( World of warcraft).

My specs

some questions
1. I notice none of the mobo's are crossfire, if it says SLI oes it mean crossfire aswell?
2. i hear crossfire 5850's can get quite hot, what can i do to make them get more airflow?
3. will i be able to play most if not all games maxed out with good FPS?
4. Is there anything i choose, but dont need/require?
Thanks in advanced for answers and stuff :P
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:52am
Not a good config, no offense.  But you have a great budget that could produce a great rig.  It's really late so I'm going to be brief. Don't go with CF 5850's when you could go CF 6870's which will beat a single 580 and actually cling kind of close in benchmarks to 2x sli gtx 580's.  These cards are decent by themselves, but with crossfire they are amazing the cf scaling is really great on the 6870's.  Also, don't go with the liquid cooling, the only way liquid cooling is a good option is when you have the money to get a high end setup and are going for high high overclocks.  Stick with the noctua air cooling and you will be in great shape.  Also I would consider going with the HAF 932 case over the Maelstrom because it has better air cooling.  Also with your budget you can fit in a nice 80 gb SSD to put your OS and a couple of the games you play most on, and the rest on the TB HDD.  This rig would crush anything I repeat "anything" you could throw at it.  Also, save yourself some money and buy your monitor and keyboard on newegg.com. Here's the config: 458552.  Click Load Configuration at the top of the screen and type this in.

Edited by WardTheSteak - 18 Nov 2010 at 4:54am
yaright35 View Drop Down

Quote yaright35 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:39am
Alright, Thanks WardtheSteak, looked at some benchmarks and was in awe when i saw how well the 6870's perform when CF'd. Very good FPS on the games i want to play. Exactly what im looking for, and im saving almost 300$ and thats allways good :D. Hopefully will be getting it in a few months :D cant wait.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:53am
Agreed, 5850s are pretty silly when 6870s are both cheaper and perform better. Though personally I'd rather have a single 580, the average FPS might be a bit lower, but it is likely more fluid with closer minimum and maximum FPS scores.

Plus it saves you a PCIe slot and you can avoid ATI drivers, which are the devil.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:04am
For $3K go with dual 580s!

$2,980
Saved Ticket Number: 458585

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (40GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X-25V Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Edited by wcboltman - 18 Nov 2010 at 9:05am
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:05am
I agree with Dragoon. I think you should also take a peek at the link in my sig
the Enders Builds has several price points targeted with only some minor changes needed, say the Sabertooth MoBo and the 580 instead of a 480...

Edited by MagiK - 18 Nov 2010 at 9:06am
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:02am
You could save $100 on the build I linked above by going down to the Noctua cooler, but for $100 why not get some real LC.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:11pm
wc, he is factoring in 3k for monitor, keyboard, and speakers setup.  So dual 580's might be a little above his price range, by about 3 to 400 or so.  And yes, either go with a 580, or the 6870's.  If you plan on watching a lot of movies on this rig, then I would probably suggest the 6870's because ATI has much better video performance.  But, if you're not a videophile like me and that's not important to you I would just go with the 580.  And wc stage 3 liquid cooling is a step down and more expensive than going with the noctua.  Air cooling is all you will need with your budget, to get a truly beneficial liquid cooling setup it would be much more expensive.
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:31pm
I have to agree that I would go with a single 580 on the video card. Liquid cooling is not necessary either, so going with a Noctua cooler would also be a good choice. Just because someones budget is $3,000, doesn't mean you have to get as close to the budget as possible.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:04pm
What?...You mean just becuase I want to spend $3000 doesn't mean I have too?? oh my!!!  LOL  Just kidding Sarah...though I do have to say that my "budget" was $8k and I ended up spending $9.3k  so I guess it works both ways  Wink
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:56pm
Didn't see he wanted monitor, mouse, keyboard too.  I would recommend getting those elsewhere.  By the time your system arrives you should be able to find some great deals on those items online or locally. 

I think going with two 580s is still the way to go.  For the games you play you will see a HUGE improvement with SLI. 

Since you say 95% gaming, video cards are far and away your #1 priority.  This build comes in at $2688.  That leaves room for an awesome 27 inch lcd and keyboard + mouse.  Shouldn't be hard to find a great deal on those items come Black Friday / holidays.

ticket number: 458693

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Edited by wcboltman - 19 Nov 2010 at 3:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply