FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will this work?

Post Date: 2020-12-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Amused2death View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Amused2death Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Will this work?
    Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 4:06pm
Budget:
3000 ishe

Expectations: get 8- 10 years out of a machine
[

Usage:Play games, every day computing, lots of music and photo storage

Special Needs: Just want a look over to make sure I'm not messing this up. Thanks to all that can comment.

Saved Ticket #: [Configuration Code: 3658228]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 11:59pm
The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to critique your build. I am only here to commend you on your choice of username as it directly refers to one of my own personal favorite recording artists. Hopefully you, too, have experienced this singer/songwriter's magnificence.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 5:16am
What I see here is a tremendous waste of money for little purpose.

First and foremost is the huge amount of RAM which will never be used. You have no use cited that could ever come close to employing even half that much. Every day, with every task you would likely have $500 worth of RAM standing idle, while the first 32GB did everything. That is all you need for games and everyday computing.

Not nearly as serious, but something to consider for a build you would like to last well into the future, is the fact you are building a soon-obsolete PCIe Generation 3 Intel system while AMD has been offering PCIe Gen 4 for a year. The differences my not be all that right now, but all your parts going forward will be PCIe 4 on a PICe 3 platform. If you must have Intel, wait until March/April when they "introduce" PCIe 4 CPUs.

Bet you can't explain the "Godlike" mobo without simply saying it's the most expensive one here. Okay if you want, but it's loaded with PCIe 3 ports and slots. AMD boards are all PCIe 4.

No need at all for a 1600W power supply. 1000W is more than enough.

Are you planning 4K gaming on a very high-refresh monitor? That would be the only reason for a 3090. A 3080 will max out any 1440p monitor, and is enough for a 4k at 60MHz.

Here's an alternate AMD build that saves about $2500 but still contains most of your key parts. I think it's more "sensible", but that's me. "Sensible" is whatever you want it to be.

3659591     $6902...$6402 after discount.

Do whatever you want with the video card, but know the 3080 will play pretty well at 4K, and you're only about 2 years away from another $800 card that will be 30-50% more powerful than that one. Can't say I much like the premium for a 3090, and I don't think it's worth it.

You're getting an Aventum, you might as well get the DS custom lighting for it for $29.

That's my take.

Quote Amused2death Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 10:14am
I enteted the wrong numbet on my original post, my apologies. It should have read 3657538

Quote Amused2death Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Snaike

The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to critique your build. I am only here to commend you on your choice of username as it directly refers to one of my own personal favorite recording artists. Hopefully you, too, have experienced this singer/songwriter's magnificence.   
My favorite album of all time. I am a huge fan of all of his work

Edited by Amused2death - 20 Dec 2020 at 10:27am

Quote Amused2death Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Amused2death

I enteted the wrong numbet on my original post, my apologies. It should have read 3657538
I'm working all this on my phone (my puter died) and am not a phone guy at all, it is a lesrning curve I am forced to endure

Edited by Amused2death - 20 Dec 2020 at 10:28am

Quote Amused2death Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Cretae

What I see here is a tremendous waste of money for little purpose.

First and foremost is the huge amount of RAM which will never be used. You have no use cited that could ever come close to employing even half that much. Every day, with every task you would likely have $500 worth of RAM standing idle, while the first 32GB did everything. That is all you need for games and everyday computing.

Not nearly as serious, but something to consider for a build you would like to last well into the future, is the fact you are building a soon-obsolete PCIe Generation 3 Intel system while AMD has been offering PCIe Gen 4 for a year. The differences my not be all that right now, but all your parts going forward will be PCIe 4 on a PICe 3 platform. If you must have Intel, wait until March/April when they "introduce" PCIe 4 CPUs.

Bet you can't explain the "Godlike" mobo without simply saying it's the most expensive one here. Okay if you want, but it's loaded with PCIe 3 ports and slots. AMD boards are all PCIe 4.

No need at all for a 1600W power supply. 1000W is more than enough.

Are you planning 4K gaming on a very high-refresh monitor? That would be the only reason for a 3090. A 3080 will max out any 1440p monitor, and is enough for a 4k at 60MHz.

Here's an alternate AMD build that saves about $2500 but still contains most of your key parts. I think it's more "sensible", but that's me. "Sensible" is whatever you want it to be.

3659591     $6902...$6402 after discount.

Do whatever you want with the video card, but know the 3080 will play pretty well at 4K, and you're only about 2 years away from another $800 card that will be 30-50% more powerful than that one. Can't say I much like the premium for a 3090, and I don't think it's worth it.

You're getting an Aventum, you might as well get the DS custom lighting for it for $29.

That's my take.

I apologize my number should have read 3657538
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:56am
Wow, that does make a difference!!

I don't see a single problem with this build. The motherboard sound is pretty good these days, but not up to a Soundblaster. The only other thing I have is that the Internal Lighting comes free with a remote, and you can make it all one color, or turn it off if you want.

Getting past the $3000 mark gets you $300 off, so, $2828. You will have no worries. Solid build.

And I think all the parts are available!!

Edited by Cretae - 21 Dec 2020 at 3:57am
Ledfoot View Drop Down

Quote Ledfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:09pm
Oh no...
After reading your comment about upgrading the lighting, I got the addressable RGB lighting because I thought it WAS the upgrade

Nooooooo!!!

What's the difference exactly? the DS lighting had a poor photo and no descrip. I thought it was the lower option.

My PC is gonna be here in a week I'm kinda bummed now :(
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 3:35am
IDK what you mean by "addressable". Is that the DS LED lighting system? For $30, I wouldn't obsess over it. It's going to be a little different in each case I believe, but I don't know much about it. The free one is just an LED light strip that may last a few years or... not. If you mean the Corsair RGB fans, IDK how you mistake that for free.

If you are not past Stage 4, you can change anything you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply