Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WIN 10 "CLR error 80004005"
    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:27pm
Just started getting this Windows error when running a flight sim application. Based on Google searches, it appears to be related to a corruption of ".Net Framework", which is embedded in Windows 10.

Does anyone know how to fix this error without having to do a new Windows install or Reset, which will delete all my apps?
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:37pm
You could try downloading framework 4.8 from Microsoft and see if installing it will fix our problem.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:12pm
WIN10 will not allow you to do that. It says 4.8 is already installed.

It will probably require a WIN10 "Refresh", which removes all 3rd party apps and drivers. Not something that I want to deal with.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:41pm
Try using the "Repair" feature for the .Net framework rather than reinstalling over the top of the existing installation. If you've tried that you can "trick" Windows into allowing you to reinstall the framework by renaming the Assembly folder at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET (or whatever your pathway is) to something else and then attempting the installation process again. I have no experience with this particular error, but I've used each of those methods to fix other .Net errors in the past.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 3:51pm
Where is the "Repair" feature for Net Framework in Windows 10?

Yes, I found the Assembly folder at the Path you listed. If I rename that folder say "Original Assembly", will a new Net Framework install create a new Assembly folder? And then I am done?

Edited by Bob100 - 08 Oct 2020 at 3:57pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm
It's been a long time since I've messed with the .Net installations, but in the past the installer had the repair tool built in, it might be separate now. If you aren't seeing it as part of the installer, you might try searching for the Net Framework Repair Tool on Microsoft's support pages. As for the Folder, yes, you can rename it anything you like, the install only looks for "Assembly." It will install a new Assembly folder in place of the old one and unless something changes it will leave your "Original Assembly" folder (to use your example) right there where it was. Though again it's been a bit since I've done either of these things, so they're just suggestions to consider.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 5:37pm
The Net Framework Repair tool only works with:

Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, Windows Vista

MS embedded Net Framework in Windows 10 so that it cannot be uninstalled with any conventional tools. Just about everything I have read on the matter suggests a "Refresh or Reset" of WIN10, both of which remove all 3rd party apps.

Your suggestion about the Assembly file is tempting. Is there any chance that the procedure could compromise my WIN10 installation? If it does not work, it would seem logical that I could just go back and rename the "Original Assembly" folder to "Assembly" and be back to square 1.

Edited by Bob100 - 08 Oct 2020 at 6:20pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:46am
The last time I used that method was on Windows 8 and it caused no issues, I have not used it on Windows 10. I can say that in the past iterations of Windows it never caused any issues for me, I never even needed the backup folder, I just kept it in case of the event you are describing. You might ask at the Microsoft Community to see if you could get some more specific advice about .Net in Windows 10.

Edited by Tidgxor - 09 Oct 2020 at 9:47am
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm
Yes, I have posted in the Microsoft Community - not much help there. Pathetic that Microsoft does not have a better way to deal with this in Windows 10. Seems to be a somewhat common problem.

I have found some other online articles about playing with the Assembly folder to get rid of Net Framework errors. Seems to be the best option to try, short of doing a Refresh and losing all 3rd party apps. I just did a Restore point for my OS. Maybe I will get brave enough to give the procedure a try this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:39pm
Hope it works for you! If it does and you happen to have time to share I'd like to know how it turned out. Could be useful to know how Windows 10 handles it. Strong
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:46pm
I tried to rename the Assembly file and Windows would not let me do that, it said the file was being used by another application.

Under Task Manager, the app that was causing the error message was not running. So, I gave up.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and do a Refresh and lose all my apps. Might just hold off and see if any future Windows updates might fix the problem.

Not happy with Microsoft on this issue.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 3:06pm
Hmm, well that's a bummer. I might have suggested trying to change it via an elevated command prompt or powershell, but honestly at this point it seems like they've hardwired the Net framework into Win10 enough that most of what I'd know to try wouldn't work anyways. 
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:04pm
Yes, I think they have it pretty well embedded into Windows 10 so that no one can get to it anymore.

I was on the phone with a DS tech support rep for over an hour over the course of the last 2 days and he could not crack it either. He did a new WIN10 overlay (that preserved all my apps) on Saturday and said he would call back on Monday to see if it worked. Unfortunately, it did not.

He said if that did not work, then a Windows Reset or Re-Install would probably be the only remaining solution. That means I lose my apps and have to go through the app reinstall and license activation nightmare again. Do not think I am willing to do that at this point. Very unfortunate since I just spent $350 on a bass transducer system for my home cockpit for flight sims.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:50am
Sorry for all your troubles.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:09pm
By going into the "Command Prompt" box a few hours ago, the DS tech support rep was able to successfully rename the "Assembly" folder to "Assembly2". We then tried to download Version 4.8 of the .Net Framework module, but Windows 10 still insisted that the module was already installed.

So, no luck with renaming the Net Framework "Assembly" folder as a possible solution. Looks like a Windows Reset/Refresh is going to be the only solution. Maybe I will try that at some future date, but not now, don't want to have to re-install all my apps.

Edited by Bob100 - 12 Oct 2020 at 4:10pm
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:30pm
I have a feeling that windows is seeing the .Net framework in the registry. You would have to also remove all references there.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:06pm
The "Registry" is beyond my pay-grade. But if DS tech calls back again I will mention that to them.

Looks like Microsoft has gone to great lengths to prevent people from fooling with the .Net Framework code. Yet they give us no repair tools when something gets corrupted, other than a Re-Install that will wipe your hard drive.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:24am
Yes, it's entirely possible that Nomad1970 is correct. This didn't used to be the case when you could just change the Assembly folder with admin privileges and reinstall the framework and be done with it, but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case with Windows 10. It would probably be a pain to remove the registry entries, though the DS tech might be able to help there. Of course at this point even if you did find them it might just throw yet another error. My apologies for suggesting things that don't appear to work anymore, I had no idea Microsoft had made the .Net installation stuff so obtuse. 
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:58pm
No problem Tidgxor. I am grateful for the suggestions that you offered.

My search now is to find a way to Reset/Refresh WIN10 without losing all my apps.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:17pm
You know, Microsoft has support. It should be a fairly easy fix for them. My wife uses them. She says they are more available on weekends, and if the phones are loaded, you can get sent to the website, but she just calls back until she gets a person. They've been very helpful to her.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Cretae

You know, Microsoft has support. It should be a fairly easy fix for them. My wife uses them. She says they are more available on weekends, and if the phones are loaded, you can get sent to the website, but she just calls back until she gets a person. They've been very helpful to her.

That's a good point, I frequently forget MS has phone support. I will say my experiences with them haven't been as good, but that's old information because the last time I called them was during the whole Vista apocalypse, so in fairness to them they were probably not feeling so great. LOL

Edited by Tidgxor - 14 Oct 2020 at 9:01am
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:26pm
I have contacted MS support already. Some person labeled as an "Independent Advisor for Microsoft" replied via Email. Those suggestions for the "FIX" were of no help. After that experience, I also spoke on the phone with a real MS tech rep, who did the same WIN10 reload/update that the DS tech rep performed last week - with the same result, i.e., the error message still exists.

I am pretty sure a complete WIN10 Re-Install is going to be the only way to remove the .Net error message. As mentioned previously, that removes all my apps and requires the hassle of re-installing all of them with the license de-activation/activation code gauntlet. Don't even know if I can find all those codes anymore. So, a Re-Install of WIN10 may cause more problems than it fixes.

Edited by Bob100 - 14 Oct 2020 at 7:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply