FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

win7 pauses randomly when starting up

Post Date: 2011-01-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OnBake Platinum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: win7 pauses randomly when starting up
    Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:38am
I have windows 7 on the intel SSD. Usually, from pressing the power button, it takes about 10 seconds to pass the bois, windows boot, and make it to the log in screen.

However, almost randomly, during the windows boot where the windows logo pulses, the system will just sit there and do nothing for about a minute straight, then finally resume starting up.

What's with this?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 8:49am
Its probably an app you have set to start with windows.

msconfig and

1. in services tab:

a. check "hide all microsoft services"

b. then hit "disable all"

2. in startup tab, hit "disable all"

3. reboot, now see if it still does that.

if it doesn't then its a service/app that is set to start with windows.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:05am
^Doesn't that only affect after you log in (Where you can see your desktop)?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:14am
not exactly, unless I'm misunderstanding which point of boot you are talking about.

either way its a quick test, do it real quick and see what you get.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Jan 2011 at 12:14am

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:01am
So far I don't see a difference. The lag only happens like one out of 20 times.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:54am
Thats gonna be harder to figure out then, if you are not noticing a difference, then set msconfig back to normal boot and reboot.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 6:44am
lulz, this computer is so fast that having it start up with steam, winamp, aim, etc doesn't even make a difference vs not. I've already optimized my services and start up programs.

When I first noticed this lag happening during the windows pulse screen, I thought it was due to hibernating before I shut down. But I ruled that out because it doesn't do it 100% of the time when I hibernated. Then I thought it was because of windows update, but I can shut down with an update too and it will start up normally. The lag seems completely random.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 12:09pm
I think I may have found the source in the event viewer logs. SCSI CD-ROM Driver seems to f**king up. After that, the most common is steam followed by prefetching. the steam one is like 7 seconds, while the cd one is 46 seconds, which makes more sense because it just sits there for a minute.

I googled the product name (Optiarc dvd RW ad-7260s ata) and downloaded + flashed the firmware from the official site (1.0 -> 1.03). Hopefully this fixes it or something. 

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:53pm
Well that didn't work. In fact, now it seems to do it on an even more frequent basis!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 3:34am
do checkdisk, sfc scannow, and see if you get anything.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:23am
Oh God, more crap now.

I did check disk and I think it went okay. It started and finished so fast that I barley had time to see if there even were results (40 gig intel ssd).

Then when I started up today, bios restarted itself several times. It kept going to the screen where it identifies the cpu etc, but much, much slower than usual, then leading to a blank screen and starting over again. Finally, it got to to widows. I started using the computer then it straight up froze, which has never happened before. I checked my evga board and the cpu temp was 25 degrees. There was activity with my secondary hard drive, which only had steam installed on it which was running in tray, but I didn't have it open or doing anything. I waited like 10 minutes and everything was still frozen except for the random activity with the secondary hard drive (I could tell because it is a raptor and they are loud). I had to hit the reset button.

Again, the bios was slow, but did not reset itself this time. Something I noticed was that it took a very long time to identify the ram and said the number was something like 1435. I believe that number is supposed to be 1600, but normally that screen flashes so fast that I don't pay attention. Maybe one of my ram sticks is bad?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:58pm
Your bios set it self to default, removing the oc, your oc is saved as a profile in your bios, but with the problems you are having, I would not put the oc back, get a hold of DS on monday and see what they want you to do.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:02pm
today it started up perfectly. Cpu-z says I still have the overclock. 3812 MHz

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:00pm
After a series of perfect start ups, it did it again today. :'(

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 7:52am
And again today. I have no idea what is causing this. Updating the disc drive did nothing. It does it with or without a disc in the drive.There is no SD card in the reader so it isn't that. I start up with very few services and programs. I never disabled any MS services, just set them to manual, and only ones based on a guide I read on the web.

I think I will call DS.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 1:33pm
Give us a call.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 7:23am
I figured it out! It was the sata controller in device manager. DS may or may not have run the intel install software for the SSD. It doesn't matter because it doesn't do crap.

I downloaded the software from the intel SSD site. It was named Rapid storage something or rather. When you run that, all it does is install this worthless program and doesn't install the drivers you need. What you need to do is take the installer and extract it with 7-zip. Then go to device manager, ata controllers, find which device is the SSD and manually point it to the x64 folder of the thing you just extracted. Then that device will have Intel drivers instead of the default Microsoft ones.

After doing this, I have had perfect start ups every time and have noticed generally better performance from the drive. 
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 8:12am
Or maybe you just don't quite know what you were doing?

No version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology installer has ever given me so much as a hiccup. You probably downloaded the wrong version, the manual install one, if I had to take a guess.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:56am
Experimentation is how you learn!
 Post Reply Post Reply