FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 to Windows 11 file transfer

Post Date: 2022-02-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Oldsoldier View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 10 to Windows 11 file transfer
    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:01am
Apologies in advance. I am a new owner (week 2 of build) of DS Adventum....I am replacing a 5 year old Alienware Area 51 (Windows 10).....As the new computer will be running Windows 11, I am concerned about transferring my files/games (especially STEAM related) to that computer.....I experimented with the Microsoft -based recommended software and found it to be difficult to navigate- my entire library of Steam Games refused to transfer..... Can anyone suggest or recommend their procedure on transferring Window 10 files to the Windows 11 computer? I am kinda old.....and almost computer illiterate, but I am really don't want to lose all of my games/photos/documents during the Digital Storm start up.....Should I just take both computers to a local tech for the transfer or have most of you done it yourself......Once again, apologies in advance if I am on the wrong forum.....Best wishes to all!!!!   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 4:09am
Personally, I ducked all the hard parts by simply installing my older drives to the new computer. Once they're in there and recognized by Windows, (usually when you just boot with a new drive installed, Windows will change the drive letters for you) it's easy to set things up the way you want. You can clone whole drives and transfer everything on them to newer ones, or drag and drop whatever you need. You can then leave the extra storage, or transfer it back.

Googling how to move Steam files was my solution there. Steam needs to be installed on your C drive for easiest use, but your actual games can be on other drives/partitions. Steam will let you change the drive letters of where to find them. I don't recall all the details, but it wasn't too hard, and Google resolved all my questions.   

I used Macrium Reflect free version to clone drives.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 4:28am
I have a new computer coming in and I’ll use the technique I’ve always used.    Steam makes it so easy, I would just install Steam on new pc and download the games you still use. The cloud saves all your progress.   

Photos and files the same.   I don’t have a ton of either, so just move them to a flash drive and use that to xfer to new pc.   

Cretan’s suggestion works great.    Take your old data drive and install it into new pc.    Then you can move the files to new pc drives or just run them off the old drive.

Good luck
Oldsoldier View Drop Down

Quote Oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 6:47am
Thanks, folks!!!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 8:48am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 3:22am
It's a pleasure.   
 Post Reply Post Reply