Post Date: 2009-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 7 (2 buy or not 2 buy)
    Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 7:38pm
I hear that people are in a feeding frenzy over W-7. Is it hands down superior to Vista and have there been any issues with losing data when converting to it from Vista?Disapprove
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 1:43am
Yes, and no. So far no issues and it is an excellent OS.
Grimfate View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Grimfate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 5:39am
I upgraded over the weekend. Mostly painless except for the microsoft email being disabled and you have to manually go install windows live email. But once it was installed it remembered all my contacts and stuff.
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 8:42pm
Thank you! Cool
bullseyehk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bullseyehk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 1:06am
i read an article in my computer gaming magazine that said if you are on millineum or xp that the upgrade is really more important to you. they said if you have vista its your call but not really that dramatic of an upgrade....mind youthis is what they said as i have no experience with it yet.

Bullseyehk
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 9:55am
I've bought five or six XP based computers since Vista came out. The next computer I buy or build will certainly use Win 7, but I feel no need to upgrade any of my XP based machines. I preordered a (1/2 price) copy of of Win 7 Home Premium back in July. I'm sure I'll find a reason to "upgrade" one of the machines someday, but right now it will just sit on a shelf.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 12:01pm
Don't like Vista?  I heard all the negative things, but its rocked for me. Zero issues.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:07pm
Doc, at first Vista kinda sucked. No news there. After it stopped sucking, there still was never a compelling reason I could see to switch. Of course, I waited until XP SP2 was out before I switched from Win98SE....

(Way to) Go Cowboys!
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:17pm
I smell feet
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 9:14am

Like others have said, Vista at launch was a poor OS, tons of issues, but it is a decent OS now, IMHO.  Windows 7 really shines over Vista with SSD's, Hyperthreading, and being and  overall "lighter" system.  Dx11 I hear is going to be implemented on Vista, so that takes away another advantage for windows 7. If I did not have free ugrades for Window 7, I doubt I would buy it right now.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 9:34am
Originally posted by EdH63

I smell feet

Try taking your foot out of your mouth. Embarrassed
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Bill the Cat

Originally posted by EdH63

I smell feet

Try taking your foot out of your mouth. Embarrassed

Don't be ignorant, Ethel! 
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 7:23pm
I just got Windows 7 yesterday since I had pre-ordered the physical media.  The only issues I had was having to redo email to windows live mail, reload Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, reload drivers for my x-fi Creative Titanium soundcard and change setting from digital to speakers.  I also had to redo Punkbuster in order to play World at War with the following program

But to be honest, I have not seen any significant difference in how the machine runs.  Having a Digital Storm custom build beast which was extremely fast to start with made Vista 64 act like a really good smooth operating system on its own.  I never did understand the complaints against Vista 64.  But having a monster machine makes even bad poorly designed software work great.

I did like the new windows media center and watching old tv series and stuff. I have explored several of the new features such as pinning to the taskbar, aero shake, windows search etc but have not nothing dramatic. 

I always like to stay cutting edge with new software and all and I guess I will eventually figure out new bells and whistles that made some people buy it but I haven't seen it yet.  But I wanted to have the newest and greatest and $50 or so bucks for the pre-order was no big deal.  I don't have any reason to tell people not to get it but at the same time I don't have many reasons to tell people to get it.

Having a Digital Storm beast it the one thing that makes home computing a joy!!

By the way,  I just picked up a ipod 32GB 3rd Gen Touch and I love it.  I have been playing with it for days and really enjoy the $300 investment.  It is like a baby and looks like it might not survive a careless drop but otherwise pretty cool.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 01 Nov 2009 at 11:26am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 7:33pm
most of the difference between the 2 os will be noticed in benchmarks.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 7:40pm
Thanks DST4ME, I should have ran a benchmark right before the upgrade in order to see the difference.  As I mentioned before, I am extremely happy with my Digital Storm computer and other than benchmarks and bragging rights it is hard for me to really want anything more at this times.  Great experience with DS and just got to love their computers and BBB A+++ service and support.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 4:11pm

I can only speak from personal experience, but I think Vista just got a bad rap, it was a PR job. People forget that XP had huge issues, too, until it matured and a few service packs came out for it. The internet was far more ubiquitous when Vista premiered than with XP.

I wouldn't have bought W7 without the coupon deal. I usually let a new OS hit a year, year & 1/2 before getting it. That said, I'm fairly impressed by the way the new OS runs, although its kinda "Vista dumbed down"

I'm gonna miss Dreamscene. I'm still not sure I like the removal of the Quickbar. Windows Sidebar, good riddance.

Edited by Psimon - 01 Nov 2009 at 4:14pm
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
 Post Reply Post Reply