Windows 7 Anyone?

Post Date: 2009-01-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StLBluesFan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StLBluesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 7 Anyone?
    Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 7:51pm
Anyone grabbed the beta and installed in on a DS machine yet?  I've installed Win7 on a relatively new Dell, based on my positive impression I'm considering installing as a dual boot on my i7 setup (30 days old).  Curious as to everyone's thoughts.
Dan
HAF 932/940 @3.85 LC/6GB DDR3 @1400Mhz
Asus Rampage II Extreme
SLI BFG GTX 280 std clocks
Dell 30" Display
Vista 64-bit
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 10:26pm
why not just use vmware instead of dual boot?

btw anybody wants to download it:

32bit:

Windows 7 Beta 2 32bit

key:
4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH

64bit:

Windows 7 Beta 2 64bit

key:
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M

for those of you with opera, you need to paste the addy in your address bar.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jan 2009 at 10:57pm
Traxx1 View Drop Down

Quote Traxx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 11:32am
I've been using Win7 for a week now and I really like so far,, its got a few quirks and glitches, but hey, Its a beta,, but so far, Im impressed!,,  its got some questionable things that I dont understand why they use, but for the most part, its ok, seems to run my apps ok,  Im using VMware 6.5.1 to run it, so I expect I might run into a few problems here and there, but really, I have been happy with performance so far..  It really seems to be a tuned up Vista,  

now before some of you say, it wont work in VMware,, yes it will..  alot of ppl have complained that they can not get Vmware to run it,,,  use 6.5.1 version and make sure you set your virtual drive to IDE, when making your VWmare drive ( very important!! )    most users have it set to SCSI and it always seems to fail on loading Win7,,  and also, when setting up your drive in VMware,, use custom and use windows 2008 server and then just follow directions.   DO NOT USE the let it decide setting cause it will say it detected Vista,  Use the windows 2008 server..,, thats what I did and have Win7 running nicely in VMware!!
have fun ya'll!
Extreme Case
Q6600 2.4 OC to 3.38 @ 1.45v
4 GIG Dominator 800 Mhz
780i MoBO
320 GIG Hardrive + 2 Ext HDD
Single nVidia 8800GTX 768
Stage 2 Cooling
Xfi Soundcard
PSU 620
XP Operating System
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 10:12pm
Windows 7 FTW Ermm
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 8:09am

As long as its not the windows millennium me of 2009 I will def upgrade. Smile

bullseyehk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bullseyehk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 2:11am
hmm can i run vmware and win 7

amd 4700
2 gig ram

so close to getting anew computer...wife says when taxes come in we can do it LOL

gah figures.....

Every line with "technical and know how to use it" are the ones i dont know how to do /sigh..and this machine is my only machine that can play games..my other runs xp and a processor so old i cant remember what it is(its a now 12 year old system I bought for evercrack.) but it runs the internet fine.
  • You'll need some technical skills, like knowing how to:

• Burn an ISO file to make an install DVD (A good example of what we mean by “technical”)

• Install Windows (of course)

• Backup and restore your PC (There's a chance of losing files, so it's a good idea to do a backup of anything you want to save.)

• Set up a network

It can be glitchy—so don't use a PC you need every day.

• Minimum recommended specs call for:

• 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

• 1 GB of system memory

• 16 GB of available disk space

• Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)

• DVD-R/W Drive

• Internet access (to download the Beta and get updates)

And yes, like anything tech-related, these specs could change.

• Some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV or navigation through the use of "touch," may require advanced or additional hardware.

• You'll need a system recovery disk (and know how to use it)

Edited by bullseyehk - 15 Jan 2009 at 2:17am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 3:25am
I installed it on a second drive ( dual boot ) and it is glitchy. But I am using some vista drivers so that may be an issue.

Surf the web, get the feel of it etc etc. FurureMark Advantage crashes so I can't check benchmarks with it.

I just installed it Tuesday and I still need to play with it some more. When Windows Home Server Beta came out , it too was a little glitchy but once the beta WAS out MS worked pretty quick on updates that the beta needed and there is always the forums for help.

Windows 7 has a nice little beta feature. Right on the desktop, MS put a link to send them you opinion, issues etc. But hey it's fun and free for now.
Fusion - clean energy

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 3:30am
yes you can.

how to burn an iso to a dvdthis guide shows you how to burn to a cd, so during setup instead of cd pick dvd.
Seelig View Drop Down

Quote Seelig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 7:15pm
I am running the 64 bit version fine on my system - dual boot.  So far I have found two problems :

1.  I could not install the software for my wireless router. 
2.  Comodo Firewall would not successfully install.

I am still wondering why Mr. Ballmer says "it is the best Windows ever", it looks and feels very much like Vista with some fluffy extensions to me. 
Core 2 Quad QX6850
nForce 780i
4 GB DDR2 Corsair 1066 Dominator
150GB Raptor + 2x WD 750GB
GTX 260
AC3 Cooling
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 8:03pm
let me tell you what some testers are saying, testers that have used vista and are now testing windows 7:

Win7 really just is Vista sp2, but with a price tag is all.

So far all I'm seeing is Vista in a different set of clothes. :huh:

I'm sure it will be a good OS when they are done, but all it will be/is a different version of vista.
Monalisa View Drop Down

Quote Monalisa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 4:35am
Yes i installed and found it very fine
tirnaog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tirnaog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 9:07pm
Good evening all,

Installed the 64bit ultimate version on our dell media center PC.
Clean install from boot with partions deleted and recreated took about 15-20 minutes tops.
Seems very fast compared to Vista SP1. For a beta it really is steady so far.
Like what they did to media player. Plays our 18K+ tracks on random much better. Calculator app is just awesome. Really like that one.

Overall I see it as a Vista Sp2. Should be free or very cheap for current vista owners. But probably wont be.

Taskbar take s abit to get used to but seems like it will be usefull.
My wireless card was the only HW that was not working. Installed the Vista drivers and it has been working fine.

Evil%20Smile
My DS PC:
CPU: Intel i7 2700K OCed 4.4ghz
MB: {not sure :( }
Memory: 8 gigs
Video: 570 GTX 1gb nVideo
Sound: Built in
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:03am
I have been running Win 7 for a couple weeks now and I think this is what Vista should have been. It runs very smooth and to me it feels like it is a very fast OS compared to Vista. Over all I give it an 8.5 out of 10. Vista a 5.5 out of 10. Once the beta is over and the real deal goes on sale I believe they will have a winner. I liked the way Win 7 found all my drivers and after install I didn't have to really update anything. Very cool.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 12:48pm
I have a dumb question. I am playing around with the 32 bit Win7, dual boot onto a second drive. Since Vista is on the C: drive can I put Win 7 64 bit on a seperate drive without any issues? Dual boot. I would really like to try a 64 bit OS.

Fusion - clean energy

StLBluesFan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote StLBluesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 2:10pm
I'm not quite clear what you're running now.  You have Win7 32-bit on the second drive and a dual boot setup now or no?  You're considering going from Win7 32-bit to 64-bit?

So, I'll just throw a few things out there in case any apply . . .

If you are running Vista only, yes, dual boot with the Win7 64-bit install on second drive is great.

If you're running Win7 32-bit as second OS now, you can't upgrade a 32-bit OS to the same OS 64-bit.  You'd have to get rid of the Win7 32-bit install first and run a new 64-bit install.
Dan
HAF 932/940 @3.85 LC/6GB DDR3 @1400Mhz
Asus Rampage II Extreme
SLI BFG GTX 280 std clocks
Dell 30" Display
Vista 64-bit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 2:30pm
Hi Dan,
Yes I am running Vista 32 bit as my primary daily use OS. The second drive I want to use to play with Windows 7. I do have Windows 7 32 bit now but that can go, I have nothing on that drive that I need.

Its fun to play with the BetasCool
Fusion - clean energy

Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 3:03pm
I have not yet had the chance to check out Windows 7, mainly because I dont want a beta OS touching any of my hard drives that I have data on and I dont have a spare drive to put it onto.

However, I have spoken with multiple people who have been using the beta and they are all really enjoying it. They are quite hopeful for it and perhaps Microsoft is finally getting it right when it comes to an operating system.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 3:21pm
My only fear is Drivers and applications that use a 64bit system.I was doing the Beta testing for MS Home server and they did not have 64 bit drivers for Vista for quite some time after the release of the product.
Fusion - clean energy

Statman11 View Drop Down

Quote Statman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2009 at 1:37pm
I installed Windows 7 on my olde comp, and it runs fairly smooth. I'm impressed. So far I haven't ran into really any problems so... Windows 7 FTW!Ouch
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 8:46pm
I've been running Windows 7 64 bit as a dual-boot on a second drive on my current Q6600 nvidia 8800gtx setup for about a month. It feels much faster than the Vista 32bit I'm running as my normal configuration. The UAC is a lot less intrusive. I like the libraries idea, except I want to be able to define my own libraries - like for certain file extensions.

Some other things in Windows 7 are very annoying. A lot of settings power users want to tweak are more deeply-buried than ever. It's a pain to get to view hidden files and folders. The device stage doesn't support much of anything. One of my SATA hard drives wasn't recognized at all and obviously no drivers are out yet.

Also, I've given that modified task bar a lot of time and I still don't care for it. I personally like to know which applications are actually running (using RAM), versus those that are just "pinned." I finally modified the settings on it to make it more usable for me, but it is still an annoying solution to a non-existent problem, in my opinion. I was perfectly happy using a two-level task bar that had active apps on the top row and the quick launch below. I've been using that setup for almost a decade on both XP and Vista. I was really annoyed to find that I couldn't set that up on Windows 7. Since I have about 30 apps pinned to the quick launch bar and generally zero icons on the desktop, the new Windows 7 taskbar just doesn't work well for me.

And don't get me started about the insanity of Internet Explorer 8. OMG. I tried to give it a chance, but I have to admit, it didn't take me very long to install Firefox and delete the IE8 icons (some apps use it, so you can't really completely uninstall it). Nearly every site I visited with IE8 required me to click the "compatibility button" just to be able to read the damn site. Grrr.

I also made the pilgrimage, as everyone should, to Adobe's site to complain about the fact that there is no 64 bit native Flash player or browser plug-in. Sure, like a lot of people, I don't like non-standard "standards" like Flash. But the reality is an awful lot of sites use it and not being able to use a 64 bit browser because there is no 64 bit Flash is just annoying. Maybe the growing popularity of 64 bit will finally kill off Flash as a defacto standard. If Adobe keeps dragging its feet, I could see it happening.

Anyway, overall I have mixed feelings about Windows 7.  I like the speed, stability, and less intrusive UAC of Windows 7, but the rest of it is more annoying than it is worth to me. I also must agree that it feels more like a Vista rework than a new OS. Then again, Vista felt like a bad rework of XP to me, too. So I guess that is par for Microsoft.
bullseyehk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bullseyehk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 1:55pm
how hard is it to install windows 7.  This is my primary computer and I have XP on it.  Is it possible to somehow keep my xp on here and play with win 7. I read the preview of the current Computer Shopper and it sounds cool.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 3:27pm
I don't know about anyone else but I had it dual boot on a second drive and somehow my Vista drive was not booting properly. Just back everything up. It is a nice OS though. It is faster and it has a lot of built in drivers.
Fusion - clean energy

e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 3:45pm
The download is no longer available.  The only thing you can get now is a CD Key.  It's unfortunate that you can't get it anymore but oh well.

pwcorgi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pwcorgi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 11:19pm
I hope to get a DS computer when Windows 7 comes out. I kinda hope that it comes out this year. (I don't want to rush Windows 7) 
 Post Reply Post Reply