Post Date: 2012-07-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 7 OEM's activation license?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:59pm
Hello DS groupies! I'm collecting hardware for my new build and will be installing Windows 7 64bit Home Premium Edition. The problem is I read an article that certain OEM editions which I think are partial and not full retail versions of Windows 7, use the activation licensing feature that adheres to the MOBO and Hardware! If (in my case) you build a new rig and try to load an upgraded version of Windows 7 from the old rig, it will not allow you due to not recognizing the new MOBO and hardware. So, I believe the best way to do this is to go with the FULL Version of Windows 7 on the new rig and just convert my files over to Windows 7 from Vista (current OS) off the old rig. Does this sound correct and doable from a DS techy viewpoint? Please advise. Upgrade vs. Clean Install? Confused

I know with a clean install I would have to manually install all my extra software programs (i.e. Anti-virus, Registry Mechanic, Driver Detective and others!)

Edited by MICHAEL2A - 19 Jul 2012 at 11:10pm
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 11:15am
You can use an OEM version for your new rig just fine. ATHat's what its for. THe only difference between OEM and Full retail is that with the OEM version you may have to call windows if you switch your mobo at some point. It's not hard to do at all and only takes 5 minutes. Just tell them your old mobo broke if you run into this. The full retail you don't have to do this. The full retail is not worth the extra $100.00 IMHO.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you may be confusing OEM with Upgrade version. You want OEM.

Just a FYI all versions are the full version on the disk it's just the terms of the licence that differs.

Again, your best and most simple solution is to get an OEM edition. You'll most likely want the 64 bit version and I'd go pro for only 40 bucks more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

EDIT: and IMHO it's always better to a clean install over an upgrade.

Edited by AndydViking - 20 Jul 2012 at 11:16am
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:09pm
[QUOTE=AndydViking]You can use an OEM version for your new rig just fine. ATHat's what its for. THe only difference between OEM and Full retail is that with the OEM version you may have to call windows if you switch your mobo at some point. It's not hard to do at all and only takes 5 minutes. Just tell them your old mobo broke if you run into this. The full retail you don't have to do this. The full retail is not worth the extra $100.00 IMHO.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you may be confusing OEM with Upgrade version. You want OEM.

Just a FYI all versions are the full version on the disk it's just the terms of the licence that differs.

Again, your best and most simple solution is to get an OEM edition. You'll most likely want the 64 bit version and I'd go pro for only 40 bucks more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

EDIT: and IMHO it's always better to a clean install over an upgrade.

[QUOTE=AndydViking]

Thank you Viking! Makes sense that a clean install of an OEM is the way to go to save money and I can just do a file conversion from Vista to Windows 7 off the old HDD. I can't say that I will enjoy reinstalling all my programs though. Especially the gaming files and programs like Steam and Origin. I'm hoping there will not be complications while getting this stuff online.
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply