Windows 7 vs Vista

Post Date: 2009-04-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 7 vs Vista
    Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 1:21am
Windows 7 vs Vista in Games

Both cards ran well under Windows 7, with no obvious stability problems. Recent price maneouvering means that a Radeon HD 4870 1GB card etails for around £185, whilst an 896MB-equipped GeForce GTX 260 is now available for £165.

Let's see how things pan out under Windows 7 and Vista.

tkicepick View Drop Down

Quote tkicepick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 6:09am
Is it possible to find a graph that hurts my eyes more and is harder to read? Criminey!

I think it's a bit premature to start speculating on Win7's performance. Who knows what bugs and other issues will be present when it's launched.

Personally, I'm excited. I think it's high time Microsoft put more emphasis on performance vs. security (read - tying the users hands so they don't hurt themselves).

What I'm REALLY eager to see is how well Win7 optimizes use of SSD's.
"PS im sure my job as a helicopter pilot gives me plenty of coodination for that sort of thing" - Tomcat
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 3:11pm
Well it does not hurt my eyes and I can clearly tell you that win7 hinders game play, also:

Both cards ran well under Windows 7, with no obvious stability problems so there were no bugs.

however I do agree that the full version will be a more accurate test but so far not good.

SSDs will make very little difference in your performance at best, all they can do is help load times, and things can load only so fast, so if you have a say 300MB/s read and write, your games and OS will load very fast, after that the difference is very minimal. so what win7 does with SSD is pretty much pointless, not to mention that win7 is vista with a different look and small modifications, but at the end they are both vista core.

As far as I know, no SSD manufacturer has stated that their drive will run faster with vista lets vs XP or vista vs win7.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Apr 2009 at 3:13pm
poser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poser Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 3:01pm
Is anyone running the RC yet that can comment?  I am thinking about trying it so I can see DX 10 for free as I'm on XP right now, and just curious if there's a noticible impact on gaming, and how the stability has been thus far.
Antec 900
AMD 9950
Asus M3A
9800gtx+
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 4:53pm
only games that use DX 10 are affected, and those are very few.
poser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poser Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:37am
Right, the game I play will use DX10. It seemed that initial post was saying that games don't run as well in Win 7 as Vista or XP, irregardless of the version of DX.  Just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience yet.
Antec 900
AMD 9950
Asus M3A
9800gtx+
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2009 at 12:38am
LOL we in all fairness, its not fair to base the whole fact on one person's experience, its better to see what is the most consistent results instead of one source for results. Specially since we know that no 2 systems are the same, nor are the environments, what one person has on their PC is far from what another has, which is why one person can run an app/game just fine, while the other person experiences software conflicts.
 Post Reply Post Reply