Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ScotchWhisky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 8.1
    Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 3:13pm
I just got my system yesterday and it had Windows 8.0 on it.  When I loaded it up, nothing had to be done.  My user name was simply my first name and nothing else.  However, when I upgraded to 8.1, it forced me to link a Microsoft account to my system.  Is there any way to bypass this?  Or was this process actually done by DS?  I am tempted to do a complete system restoration and just return Windows 8.  
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 3:45pm
Nevermind.  I missed the setting that would have allowed me to bypass it.  Now it's a pain in the butt removing it while maintaining my present settings.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 4:41pm
Glad you got it figured out. All systems come with a bare bone install to allow customers to install/configure their operating system with a lean OS.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:12pm
Happened to me as well. Got it straightened out. Thought it would have been more of a simple update but looks like MS doesn't know how to leave user settings alone when making these upgrades...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by fstcvc

Happened to me as well. Got it straightened out. Thought it would have been more of a simple update but looks like MS doesn't know how to leave user settings alone when making these upgrades...

Indeed. For some reason they also removed my wallpaper when I updated.  I can tell they sure want you to integrate your Microsoft accounts.  It's not extremely easy to remove them.  What's even more difficult is removing password protection.  Thank God for Yahoo and Google.  I am disappointed with the return of the "start" button.  They may as well have left it off if that is all they were going to do.
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:39am
Originally posted by ScotchWhisky

Originally posted by fstcvc

Indeed. For some reason they also removed my wallpaper when I updated.  I can tell they sure want you to integrate your Microsoft accounts.  It's not extremely easy to remove them.  What's even more difficult is removing password protection.  Thank God for Yahoo and Google.  I am disappointed with the return of the "start" button.  They may as well have left it off if that is all they were going to do.

Yeah, the start button is pretty pointless the way they added it.
Had to go get my DS wallpaper again as well.
The update wipes out punkbuster too. Be prepared for that if you try to play BF3 today.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by ScotchWhisky

Nevermind.  I missed the setting that would have allowed me to bypass it.  Now it's a pain in the butt removing it while maintaining my present settings.

So what setting is it that you missed? I may be going through this myself unless DS starts building systems with 8.1 preinstalled in the very near future!
 Post Reply Post Reply