FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 8 Upgrade Compatability

Post Date: 2012-11-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cloudsift View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cloudsift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 8 Upgrade Compatability
    Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:35am
I will be receiving my x17 laptop by the end of the week with Win 7 pre-installed. I have seen offers out there to upgrade to Win 8 for $15 and am thinking about doing this before I start installing a bunch of software and games to this laptop.

I thought I saw a post from another member stating they had an issue with the keyboard lighting program and Win 8 upgrade.

Any confirmations/denials on if I would run into software issues with the base install that DS would have done for my Win 7 machine if I upgrade to Win 8 right away?

JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Cloudsift

I will be receiving my x17 laptop by the end of the week with Win 7 pre-installed. I have seen offers out there to upgrade to Win 8 for $15 and am thinking about doing this before I start installing a bunch of software and games to this laptop.

I thought I saw a post from another member stating they had an issue with the keyboard lighting program and Win 8 upgrade.

Any confirmations/denials on if I would run into software issues with the base install that DS would have done for my Win 7 machine if I upgrade to Win 8 right away?

When my system arrives, I plan on getting Windows 8 for grins and giggles. I am going to make a dual boot system. You can shrink about 20 gigs on the main drive and create a partition or install on a different drive. When installing Windows 8 you choose custom and direct it where to install. After the install, you choose the default OS.
I will then have a stable Windows 7 system and Windows 8 to test and play around with.
DomTheBomb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 8:50pm
Cloudsift,

first off welcome to the forums!

I was the one who posted about the problem with the keyboard lighting, and I haven't actually done any further research on if there is a new version since I don't really care that much, blue backlighting is fine for me. I will probably figure out if there is one at some point though.

In general most consumer based programs will be compatible with Win-8. I had no trouble with compatibility for any of my programs from 7 to 8.

The $15 upgrade offer is valid through January I believe, so there's really no hurry to upgrade. It may be easier to learn with 8 from the start though, as adjusting to it has taken me some time.

In short, no you should not run into any issue with compatibility unless you are using specialized software.
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
i7 3720QM (2.6GHz/3.6GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Cloudsift View Drop Down

Quote Cloudsift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 8:04pm
Well I went ahead with the upgrade. The keyboard backlight program did died like yours did as well. I got my pc yesterday and it did ship with a windows 8 utilities disk with some drivers on it. One of them is for HotKey and I wonder if installing that would fix the problem?

The part I am unsure about is the manual says to only install these drivers in order and I do not think I should be reinstalling the chipset drivers and etc.

I also ran into trouble with the USB 3.0 extensible controller not being compatible. I had to uninstall that to move forward with the upgrade. I am still looking into how to get USB 3.0 back up and running with Windows 8.
Cloudsift View Drop Down

Quote Cloudsift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Cloudsift

Well I went ahead with the upgrade. The keyboard backlight program did died like yours did as well. I got my pc yesterday and it did ship with a windows 8 utilities disk with some drivers on it. One of them is for HotKey and I wonder if installing that would fix the problem?

The part I am unsure about is the manual says to only install these drivers in order and I do not think I should be reinstalling the chipset drivers and etc.

I also ran into trouble with the USB 3.0 extensible controller not being compatible. I had to uninstall that to move forward with the upgrade. I am still looking into how to get USB 3.0 back up and running with Windows 8.

Looks like Microsoft released the driver so I think I am all set for that. I am curious about the backlight program, but I really do not need to have different colors either. Blue happens to be my style anyhow. It would be nice to be able to turn it on/off again though.
Cloudsift View Drop Down

Quote Cloudsift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 11:02pm
I can confirm that using the device drivers and utilities disk for windows 8 will reinstate your backlighting software. I ended up running through it from top to bottom with all the drivers because I was having a lot of trouble with windows 8.

IE would not work in desktop mode, Chrome would freeze up anytime a popup came. I tried disable several security settings without luck. I finally did a rest settings via windows 8, but it killed my pci drivers in the process....hence installing everything again.

The browsers seem to be working now, but my experience with ease of upgrade to windows 8 is less than ideal. I am just glad that DS were kind enough to send a windows 8 utility disk with my stuff.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 9:19pm
Is it the hotkey driver that has the backlighting program?
Any time I try to install this driver I get a network error 1316.
Apparently this can happen when trying to install programs off a downloaded file, so I may need to get a driver CD.

And I know Chrome has been having a few issues with windows 8, I'm hoping Google resolves those soon.
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Captain Ahoge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Captain Ahoge Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:55pm
Here are the Windows 8 Drivers for the X17 laptop: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/prpb86rsy6m6wnv/h9V8pE3vR9

Try using the hotkey utility there and see if that works.
Steam ID: CaptainAhoge
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 6:01pm
Figured out the problem, just needed to uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.

Feels good to have all my shiny backlighting again!
Thanks for the help!
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Gamer924 View Drop Down

Quote Gamer924 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 2:16pm
I just ran the windows 8 compatibility app. I just got this computer not too long ago. The report says that NX is turned off. Since the processor is quite new, I suspect that during the upgrade, NX will be turned on as the app said it could. But what's this secure boot will not be available because my firmware isn't compatible? Is there some firmware update I should do? Or just forget about it since I've lived years without "secure boot?"Confused
Gamer924 View Drop Down

Quote Gamer924 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 4:57pm
I guess I should mention, refering to above, that my processor is intel 3770K, ssd 120 GB Corsair Force GT Series, 1 TB Hard drive which shouldn't matter since used just as multimedia and a ASUS Sabertooth Z7 motherboard.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 8:18pm
I'm on the edge of Would it be better for me to wipe my main HD, do a clean install of Win7 and then right away using the 15$ upgrade option, or just upgrade from where I am? I want to do a clean install, with minor issues etc with drivers and all that, and then having to go back to Win 7. My main concern is my GPU driver(7970m, I am still on the stock driver, and have been having minor issues, but last time I cleared out the drivers for it and updated, I had to wipe my drive just to get it to work again).

All in all, I just want a clean, easy process, with minimal downtime for it all.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 9:16am
Did a fresh install of 7, then upgraded right away. So far so good, just one minor issue with the drivers for the finger print reader( used the link to the drivers above)Seems to not be working as intended, I cant get it to register my print and finish the install
 Post Reply Post Reply