Windows 8 What's Your Opinion?

Post Date: 2013-10-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 8 What's Your Opinion?
    Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 2:53pm
For those of you running Windows 8, what do you think of it? Hate it? Love it? Why?

Also, what apps are you running to make it function better on a non-touch PC?
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 4:11pm
I had a Windows 8 system before I bought my Vanquish from DS that had windows 7 in it.

I was glad to be back to Windows 7. I disliked little things in Windows 8 that bothered me.

At this point I doubt they will ever give in all the way and bring back a fully functioning start button so I will avoid Windows 8 and hope they wake up by the time Windows 9 hits.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Ariktu

I had a Windows 8 system before I bought my Vanquish from DS that had windows 7 in it.I was glad to be back to Windows 7. I disliked little things in Windows 8 that bothered me.At this point I doubt they will ever give in all the way and bring back a fully functioning start button so I will avoid Windows 8 and hope they wake up by the time Windows 9 hits.

Did you ever try some of the start button replacements or other apps to make it function more like Windows 7?
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:43pm
Its fine. No problems with it. It is harder to access the control panel and things like that. You can set it up to do whatever you want. You just have to do it differently.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Doc

Its fine. No problems with it. It is harder to access the control panel and things like that. You can set it up to do whatever you want. You just have to do it differently.

Thanks for the opinion. One of the problems I'm facing is I don't have access to it and haven't had a chance to play with it, so I'm relying on what I can find online.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by sbradfor

I had a Windows 8 system before I bought my Vanquish from DS that had windows 7 in it.I was glad to be back to Windows 7. I disliked little things in Windows 8 that bothered me.At this point I doubt they will ever give in all the way and bring back a fully functioning start button so I will avoid Windows 8 and hope they wake up by the time Windows 9 hits.

Did you ever try some of the start button replacements or other apps to make it function more like Windows 7?

No because I hate to make a major change like that which can be broken by a patch from Microsoft.

My preference would be to have Microsoft do it. I tried to just deal with it and just had a number of little annoyances with it.

Had I made that change I guess I would not have cared as much to get away from Windows 8.

So if you are ok with adding another program to fix it then I am sure you will not care much at all.

sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 5:53am

Originally posted by sbradfor

No because I hate to make a major change like that which can be broken by a patch from Microsoft.My preference would be to have Microsoft do it. I tried to just deal with it and just had a number of little annoyances with it. Had I made that change I guess I would not have cared as much to get away from Windows 8.So if you are ok with adding another program to fix it then I am sure you will not care much at all.

I know what you mean. Many of those types of apps are now in a holding pattern waiting for fixes for 8.1.

Thanks for the opinion.
loaner73703 View Drop Down

Quote loaner73703 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 8:58am
Do you know if you can order Windows 7 in the new unit.  I am big into Flight Simulator X did not know if FSX runs very well on Windows 8.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by loaner73703

Do you know if you can order Windows 7 in the new unit.  I am big into Flight Simulator X did not know if FSX runs very well on Windows 8.

Yes, several of the builds here at DS allow you to select Windows 7 if you like. You just need to pick it in the configuration menu, instead of Windows 8.
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 10:48am
I'll just throw an opinion in here...
On various machines I run Windows 7 and Windows 8 (now running 8.1).
I much prefer windows 8.1. No specific reason - it's just faster to start up and run in general. It also gives performance improvements for my favorite game, Battlefield.
I use Start8 to get back my Start menu. Using this makes it look and feel just like Windows 7. No need to be fearful of a 3rd party app - seriously, it's $5 and returns you to your favorite Start button glory. You can also boot right into your tradtional desktop, avoiding that new Metro thing or whatever its called entirely.
So unless you have a very specific reason such as some hardware or software you use must have 7, then I fully recommend Win 8.1.

Beware of the internet haters who talk crap about 8. Many people with Win 7 talk smack about it but have often have never actually used it and cannot give you a specific set of reasons to avoid it. They just say that Metro thing is awful but like i said, it's totally optional to use. I nearly fell for the anti-Windows 8 hype myself, but I'm glad I found out the facts and went for it.

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 19 Nov 2013 at 10:50am
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 10:51am
I've just started running 8.1 (about 2 weeks now). First, Metro is butt-ugly in my opinion and a totally bad idea for the desktop. Like the previous poster said, you can avoid Metro with a start button replacement app. I prefer Start is Back for this. It is the most configurable one I have found so far after looking at quite a few. With this, it makes it fine and like he said it is more stable.
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 10:58am
Yes there are lots of Start menu replacement apps out there. Some are very basic. Some are very powerful (possibly overwhelming for some users. Some are in the middle ground and intuitive with easy to use screens for setting up.

I know Start8 that I use was favored in some reviews for it's ease of use. There was another app that offered hundrends of cofigurable options...like an endless mass of check boxes and values you could set - great if that's your thing. For me, Start8 just worked great right off the bat, and allowed me to create a Start button/menu that was even better than Windows 7.

I suggest people to look at the reviews and many youtube videos to compare your options. You'll find one right for you.

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 19 Nov 2013 at 10:59am
ssgmike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ssgmike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 8:39pm
I have had Win8 almost since it came out, first on an HP touch smart system then trading it in for my current HP Envy Phoenix. Have not updated to Win 8.1 yet

I use Iobit's FREE Advanced system care 7 and their Windows Menu 8 for WIN8 providing the ole Microsoft start button, both work well.
http://www.iobit.com/products.html

I also use Uniblue's Power suite system utilities, which I bought a while ago.

Also which came with my system Norton Internet Security which expires in 90 days

Edited by ssgmike - 30 Nov 2013 at 8:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply