FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows crapped out on me, or...?

Post Date: 2010-09-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Trair View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Trair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows crapped out on me, or...?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:15pm
I've officially contacted customer support about the issue, but since the community here is really cool I wanted to see if anybody else has a clue on what's happened to my beautiful computer. Which worked wonderfully for about a week, I might add.

I've said it elsewhere on microsoft forums, so I'll just say look over at the microsoft support forums at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/06b278d0-2590-4db2-98f7-3ebd962aeca9

The short version for here: I've gone to great lengths to root out a problem with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium booting up. It only boots in Safe Mode. If I try to boot normally, it will usually freeze at the blue welcome screen... I've dubbed it the blue ring of death.

It's been a long frustrating trip, but the real kicker is it's doing this after I reinstalled windows and thus started on a clean slate. So there aren't miscellaneous drivers or programs crapping up the process. In my book that's "VERY BAD" and I don't know what to do from here.

So any of you enlightened folks have any idea what's goin on?
Trair View Drop Down

Quote Trair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:28pm
Random note, I asked them to e-mail me when I wrote out the ticket and they got back to me in about... I'd say 20 minutes with some things to try.

Will it work? We'll see after dinner, but mad props for fast response time. Much to the customer service people.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:50pm

I would try turning off any overclocks by loading BIOS defaults (not optimal) and re-seating your system memory just in case. Then try to do a fresh install and see if a certain driver or Windows update is causing this. You'll have to pin-point the problem slowly.

I'm sorry about the issue you are having, yet, I assure you that we'll help you resolve it!
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:15pm
if that doesnt do it, you can attempt to do a full clean install to completely overwrite anything the past installation did. by that, i mean (backup anything you need FIRST!) go off and burn a disc of Boot&Nuke using some sort of .iso burner, I personally love to use the free ImgBurn, pop it in, select quick erase, and let it wipe. After that, install windows. that effectively wipes out your hard drive and reinstalls Windows. the difference is that you're not installing over an old copy of windows and you're also installing over a completely 0'd out hard drive.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 9:00pm
i dont know that id invest so much on the HDD wipe before you rule out hardware, if you dont know how to reseat everything and test your ram read over this for help http://digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=12038
id reset the bios first, if that doesnt help, reseat everything
if that didnt help, post again
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 10:03pm
huh? he didn't reseat anything ye--- ooooo....my bad. lol.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Trair View Drop Down

Quote Trair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 12:17am
Originally posted by !ender_

i dont know that id invest so much on the HDD wipe before you rule out hardware, if you dont know how to reseat everything and test your ram read over this for help http://digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=12038
id reset the bios first, if that doesnt help, reseat everything
if that didnt help, post again
Well Mike the Customer Service person made two suggestions, both of which I did tonight

A) Unplug and replug the SATA cables between motherboard and hard drive.
B) Do a "clean restore" using the recovery disk.  In other words, revert the entire system to the image-state Digital Storm saved before shipping my computer.  Hey, I already installed Windows again... why not?

My entire system has been wiped of all my files (I backed up all my important files days ago on my sister's external), it looks brand new.

Same old problem though.  :\  Something went wrong here because resetting the hard drive and operating system should have fixed all the software issues, and I swear this computer ran like a dream during its first week so the hardware worked at first.  I am completely baffled.  Cry

I've made another ticket to customer service to see what they suggest I do next.  Reseating and doing a standard test of all the hardware may very well be what round 2 is about, but at this point I'm extremely wary about taking initiative here without customer service telling me to do it since I'm way out of my depth here and, worse comes to worse, I want to be able to use the warranty to make things right.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:12am
first thing im thinking is ram, i had a semi-similar problem that turned out to be a bad stick many years ago.
but if you are not comfortable following the guide/videos then definitely just call DSO or have them call you and they will walk you through it!
Trair View Drop Down

Quote Trair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by !ender_

first thing im thinking is ram, i had a semi-similar problem that turned out to be a bad stick many years ago.
but if you are not comfortable following the guide/videos then definitely just call DSO or have them call you and they will walk you through it!

I'm moderately comfortable dinking around in a computer as long as it's basic and I have done some research. Video is nice.

Would a faulty RAM stick have caused problems earlier on? As I've said, my computer worked wonderfully for a while, with some intense gaming stress tests. For that matter, wouldn't graphics card issues have shown themselves earlier? As I've said before, I'm out of my depth.

Anyway round two is looking similar to what Alex suggested, which is resetting the BIOS and turning off that sexy overclock. Let me tell you, if all this gets resolved, I'm gonna get a step-by-step to get my comp set up like it was when it arrived! Drivers, overclock, etc. Good stuff I don't want to forget to do! More later.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 7:42pm
all you need to save your bios settings and reseat all your hardware is in that guide i linked

faulty ram can easily cause problems like that any no game that im currently aware of can come near the stress testing a comp needs to be called stable
Trair View Drop Down

Quote Trair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 10:39pm
Just posting a quick update, after talking to a tech support person and messing with BIOS awhile, we eventually determined that I had a defective MoBo... BIOS health check showed the north end was running 30-40 degrees Celcius higher (~70 degrees Celcius total) than the rest.

Installing that sucker is a real pain.  Now I'm having a different problem altogether, but that's no longer a subject for the Software forums.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:22am
NB running at 70C, whooo, well THERE's your problem, heh.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply