Windows Migration Tools

Post Date: 2020-05-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows Migration Tools
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:42am
Since my computer has entered Stage 6, I expect that it will be here within three weeks. Think ahead I am trying to minimize the amount of work that I will need to put in to migrating the contents of this machine to that machine.

Both machines are build using Windows 10 Professional (64-bit). I also use Shadow Protect SPX and have full image backups (weekly) with incrementals done every 2-3 days. But doing an image restore probably isn't the best thing to do here since even though it will restore to dissimilar hardware, Microsoft will be unhappy with the restored version of Windows 10 as far as licensing, plus this machine will still be in use. So the image backup is likely not a viable answer.

That brings me to migrating. Am I better off using a migrating program to migrate my other programs and settings so that the new machine will have the same look-and-feel as this computer, or am I better off manually installing all the programs and trying to figure out how to reset all the customizations that I have installed in the various programs?

If using a migration software, which do you suggest, Laplink PC Mover, Zinstall, Acronis True Image or EaseUS ToDo PC Trans?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:53am
I like Acronis True Image. Simple and easy GUI.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:09am
+1
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:19am
Can True Image do a migration, or is this a suggested image backup software?

With the new computer I am willing to consider a new backup software solution, but I am wondering about the migration issue (whether or not to migrate or install everything not an OS from scratch) and if migration is a valid solution what program to use. (Also, if I migrate does that potentially mess up the Windows registry or not?)

TIA
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:52am
My old DS rig was Win 7 and the newer one is Win 10, so... no-brainer. I didn't have to decide your issue, but thinking it over, I think I would rather have everything fresh on my new rig. Migration has to include the OS, or the registry would be a mess, I think. I brought my whole games library over by simply transferring the dedicated hard drive they were on.

They tell me that any Win OS over a year or two old is a patchwork quilt of odds and ends and ripe for a fresh install, so why start with that on a new machine? I'd also be concerned I'd forget to update a driver or two. You'd have no drivers for your new stuff. It's easy for me, because I do no "productivity" on my computer. All I need is browsers, utilities, and maintenance apps to start with. Handful of downloads, and I'm good.

TBH, I didn't understand the question because I didn't know there was "migration" software. I thought we were talking about a clone of your current system on an external drive. Plug it into your new rig and replace everything on your primary drive. That's how we did it, back in my day, sonny.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:26pm
You aren't that much older than me, gramps.   

I'll probably do it the hard way. Maybe now you understand my response to someone a few weeks ago saying it can be a day-and-a-half to get it really running.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2020 at 2:16pm
Touche'. it may be the "hard way", but a new broom sweeps clean, and there will be something satisfying in that, I think. All the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply