Post Date: 2008-04-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
workingman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: windows xp
    Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 10:11am
ok .a bit of a problem here..i wont be able to get my new rig until after June and i really want the option to use xp on my computer also...I would like to have vista 64 bit on my system...so i was thinking of buying an edition of xp now..so i can put it on my computer when it arrives..so i really dont know..if xp has to be a 64 bit edition also..or will the standard edition be ok to use..sorry if this problem isnt in the right forum..but it concerns my computer build so here it is...Thanks for any help..Workingman
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 10:38am
32-bit XP and 64-bit Vista have no problems coexisting on the same computer, because basically the two OSs don't share anything. When you boot up one OS, logically it is as if the other doesn't exist.

I'm not sure if DSO partitions hard disks according to customer requests; I think they do. If you go this route, which I think is a good idea BTW, you should tell DSO what you are planning to do and ask them to create an empty partition on your boot drive to hold XP. Otherwise, you're going to need a program like Partition Magic to divide up the disk after you get it.

Hey DSO, any idea how long you will be able to continue to offer XP?

Edited by Bill the Cat - 14 Apr 2008 at 10:41am
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 11:40am
thanks ...i think that is the route i will take...microsoft said they would stop selling xp june 30th...so maybe DS will quit at same time...???
 Post Reply Post Reply