Post Date: 2007-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ItalianPker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ItalianPker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Wireless Adapter for PC
    Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 11:53pm
What's a better wireless adapter for a desktop computer; PCI or USB?

I currently have a D-Link WDA-1320 PCI Wireless Adapter for my computer but the signal is always ranging from poor to fair.

I have a laptop in the same room and it always has a strong signal.

What do you guys recommend for a great working wireless adapter that has a great range and is Vista compatible?

Edited by ItalianPker - 24 Sep 2007 at 11:56pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 1:45am

Instead of getting another wireless adapter, look into getting a better antenna with a higher gain. It will do wonders for you, and will even cost less than buying a new adapter.

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 9:08am
I use a Linksys WRT54G in my office on one side of the house.  I, at one time, was thinking of stepping up because I couldn't get the signal strength across the house and on the patio the way I wanted it to (4000 sq. ft.).  I checked into it and decided to try the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, 2.4 GHz, and it worked great.  Runs around $75.00. 

Find the edge of your signal output and plug it into the wall there.  Plug it into an outlet next to your router and push a button on the range expander and it automatically configures your hardware.  Unplug it from there and go to the edge of signal output and place it there.  It then catches the signal and throws it out to the rest of the house.  I'm very pleased with it so far.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 1:58am

Thank you for the update, looks like I might have to go pick one up for myself too.

Post Reply Post Reply