FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless Desktop Probs, try Belkin's Powerline Kit

Post Date: 2009-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoeVideo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JoeVideo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Wireless Desktop Probs, try Belkin's Powerline Kit
    Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 2:41am
My Linksys adapter was always horribly intermittent. Even when it worked, on a 30mbs connection, I was lucky to get 4mbs consistently. Now I'm at a very consistent 20+mbs and I actually have the box to my computer routed through a surge protector (APC brand), which is supposed to slow it down.

Best $150 I've spent since I got my DS comp. It can be gotten for a bit less (see below), but I was watching my bald spot grow as my connection just got worse and worse, so I just ran out to Fry's and grabbed the last one they had in stock. When they say set-up is a snap, that was an understatement. Under 5 min., including un-boxing and resetting the 128 bit encryption was all it took. 

I earn what I own and I own what I earn,
Some days I teach and some days I learn.

Brief Specs:
i7 920 OC'd to 3.3GHz
6GB DDR3 1600MHz
300GB VelociRaptor
+ 2 7200RPM 1TBs
1 GTX 285 2 GB
JoeVideo View Drop Down

Quote JoeVideo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 12:38am
Had a prob with another link I posted, so just in case, reformatted:

Brief Specs:
i7 920 OC'd to 3.3GHz
6GB DDR3 1600MHz
300GB VelociRaptor
+ 2 7200RPM 1TBs
1 GTX 285 2 GB
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:49am
That link works.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 9:33am

Experienced any issues on the powerline?  Do other members have experience with it (good or bad)?

Right now I've got three desktops running wired plus a wireless G router for a laptop and WII.  Just got a Samsung BluRay player that will stream Netflix.  Do I go wireless (I believe the Samsung requires a proprietary wireless adapter - thought haven't tried other options - and likely move to N) or go powerline or run wired (for me that means drilling) to connect it - and possibly other a/v equipment in the future.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 10:52am
If you're asking if you go wireless with the BluRay, I would say no.  Anytime you hardwire you're going to have better transmission.  I have a Samsung BP-P2550 and it is hardwired.  I went through three of Samung's players before landing on this one for good (BD-P1200, 1400 & 1500).  All these player were flawed to some degree with lock-ups, freezes and poor quality.  I bought the 2550 because it looked good and has the Reon HQV processing chip which makes SDs up-convert nicely.  The reproduction on SDs is excellent.  This player has played everything I've thrown at it and I will use it until it melts down.  

The negatives of bridging your router signal to the BDP are intermittent connectivity issues now and then and streaming degradation.  Here's a scenario you don't want happening.  You're updating FW on the BDP via wireless and your connection takes a signal dump in the middle of the update.  This happening can very well brick your BDP.  The other issue with wireless to the BDP is that your streaming can suffer and give you a lesser quality reproduction, thus giving you a wrong impression of the BDP itself, when it is actually the signal only that is flawed.

I've read about horror stories of people bricking thir players due to a mishap with installing FW updates.  I would spend the extra dollars to have it hardwired.  And, if you do decide to move that direction, router, then I would look at wireless N.  Wireless is a great technology, but I don't think it should always be applied to every bit of hardware that can potentially have it built in.  Some technology, like BDPs that require FW updates, should be done direct considering the downside.  I personally burn the ISO to disk and update that way.  This way I have a disk to recall if I want to revert back to an earlier FW update if needed.     
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:14am
Good point on the fw updates - had not thought of that; burn to disk sounds like good option.  Anybody with experience on the powerline as an option to cat5?  In my research so far it does not seem ideal.

Edited by DL13 - 18 Nov 2009 at 1:44pm
JoeVideo View Drop Down

Quote JoeVideo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 2:45am
DL13 - "Experienced any issues on the powerline?"

None, if fact the http://www.speedtest.net is almost the same as the computer that's connected directly to the router. As far as the other questions, sounds like EdH63 has a good bead on them...

Five days so far, I extremely impressed with the above Belkin. They do also sell the Powerline AV+, it has 3 ethernet ports, so my guess is that you can stream Video and other signals, as well as run a simple network.

I just have the single port model, because all I use it for is internet connectivity and having two open ports for no reason, that might have some kind of residual charge and/or signal leakage, just didn't like like a good idea for my goal of zero maintenance / zero problems.

Brief Specs:
i7 920 OC'd to 3.3GHz
6GB DDR3 1600MHz
300GB VelociRaptor
+ 2 7200RPM 1TBs
1 GTX 285 2 GB
 Post Reply Post Reply